MS3 Loose Stabilizer Bar Nut - Clunks from the rear

Hey guys, i wrote on this thread couple weeks back and I too had a clunk in the rear. i got mines fixed and everything was good. the dealer even had me look under the car while they were doin the bolts. Also, they did all of them from rear to front just to make sure everything is set right.

The reason i'm here again, is that i heard another clunking in the driver side !!!!! WTF !!!!! this is within 2 week period. And from what i can remember, they retighten all the bolts !!!
got back at the dealership and he was amazed, he retightened it again. this time he used loctite to make sure.

Now don't get me wrong here, i luv this car, but if anything else happen , i might rethink of trading this baby in

thinkin bout that new evoX. oh well, we'll see. :)

I just started hearing the same clunking noise 2 days ago after I hit a pretty good bump. I love my car so far but with only 2700 miles on it WTF....

It's on the back passenger side. I felt around down there todya and found the nut loose but not at all close to falling off. Thing is, I lent out most of my metric tools a few days ago to a friend changing break pads adn stuff so now I have to wait until tonight at my girlfriends to use her stuff.

Damn, it's clunking again. Yup, it's loose again. This time I tightened to 75 ft-lbs, but I am also ordering a new set of adjustable links for the rear.

For you guys that have already had a loose bolt..Mine came loose again after about 2 weeks after tightening it the first time..did you guys just use locktite or did you have the dealer change the part?

For you guys that have already had a loose bolt..Mine came loose again after about 2 weeks after tightening it the first time..did you guys just use locktite or did you have the dealer change the part?

I'm having the dealer change the part AND use loctite. I going to print this thread out and hand it to the service rep as well.

Well I took mine in to have my front end clunk looked at, the dealer tightened a couple bolts, and claimed my motor mounts were "just fine." I still hear an awkward thud that I am not used to when I go over speed bumps, does anyone else? when I go really slow over a speed bump, the second the front end travels down, I get a low thud before it rebounds back up... is it just me or anyone else have the problem?

Side note: My car is going back to the dealer today for the new rear clunking that came into play yesterday, well yesterday is when I noticed it, and it sounds BAD! I also took everything out of the hatch, checked the spare and the jack, and still it is really loud over bumps, and even small bumps now. Passangers side rear is where most of it sounds like it's coming from, so I am assuming it is probably the same problem everyone else is having.

Hopefully after they look at the entire suspension today, I will be noise/clunk free.

I too have had an occasional clunk from the front, but have not had a chance to have it checked out. I am planning to take it in soon for the motor mount check so I will have them look for the source of the front clunk too.

R

Took mine to the dealer the other day for this problem, this dealer sold around 11 of them in the past year and the tech said that at least 5 of them had come back for the problem. He tightened the nuts with an impact gun on all of them and said that none of them have come back. Maybe the 40 ft-lbs is not enough.

Sway bar nut

Same thing here. Took it in, and they fixed it. Between it, and the motor mount, I'm begining to wonder what else might fall off at 140+ ????

I noticed also the right rear clunking. In my case I had junk in my trunk which is what I had thought it was coming from. Turns out tonight I decided just to be sure I'd remove the junk from my trunk, and guess what, I still had the clunk. So I looked under the car near the right rear axel and of course what do I find, that's right a loose nut. I assume its the same one as everyone else, I don't know all the parts its connected to, but its the bolt which has a hex slot on the thread end which I had to use an allen wrench to hold it while using an open end wrench to tighten the nut. I'm not sure that I got it tight enough, I did use blue locktite cause that was all I had. Gave it the old test drive and for now, no more clunk coming from my trunk.

Clunk - clunk

Same story with my car. Plenty of noise from the trunk. I took it to the dealer but I had to wait a week for some parts. They told me they will replace the stabilizer bar and some bushings. It is done now and it is nice and quiet again inside. :)

By clunking whta do u guys exactly mean? Cause i hear sounds comin from the back when i hit potholes and bumps but it's more like claps as if the trunk floor is bouncing several times after i hit a bump/hole. And I think the styrofoam between the floor and the tire is also clappin. I got my car lowered with H&R springs so maybe it's because of stiff ride? It seems like there's a lot of u guys with the same problem.

the clunk everybody is hearing is from the bolts at the tie rod ends in the back, typically its the passenger side one thats found to be hand tight loose, so if anyone hear's the noise just tighten those two bolts up and hit with some lock tite and your good to go as long as you havn't caused any damage to the threads from running it like that for a while

Rear drivers side nut loose here - 4200 miles.

Did you guys lift your cars off the ground to tighten? I first tightened with the car sitting on the floor, then jacked it up and noticed I got another 1/2 turn.

:(

The dealer I took it too say it happens on tons of Mazda3's. He said he gets a few a month for the loose nut. I've had my new linkage in there now for about a week and no problems so far. I told him to use locktite and he said that its standard procedure for the fix.

So if anyone is getting the clunk, check it out quick cuz I only had the clunk for a little over a week before it damaged the threads on the linkage.

My 07 ms3 started clunking about a week ago. I called to make a service appintment (for tomorrow) and they didn't mention anything along the lines of "oh yeah it's probably xyz". Wish I would have seen this thread sooner. I just checked under the car and sure enough the passenger side nut was backed all the way out.

As an aside, I also got hit in the parking lot tonight right above the rear passenger wheel. I thought the clunking was a loose bumper or something, so was just going to wait until insurance replaced it. Now I'll still be going to the dealer tomorrow.....

Add me to the list, started clunking a couple days ago and crawled under it tonight. Same as everybody else, passenger side sway bar bolt was loose

Is this ford's fault? It seems like something that Ford would have go wrong on it. A Japaneese company would never be so careless, would they?

Back