MS3 Loose Stabilizer Bar Nut - Clunks from the rear

I started hearing a noise from the right rear in my car when on bumpy roads. Thanks to this post I had a good idea what it was and made a same-day appointment with my local Mazda dealer.

I told them what I thought it was and about an hour later they came up to me and said it was exactly this problem and they fixed it and there was no additional damage.

Thanks again to the Mazda Forums for help. This (and any other specialty forum (cars, hobbies, etc.)) are always very handy. First thing I do when I buy any car is to find a forum dedicated too it. Over the last few years, forums such as this have saved me a ton of cash and stress.

The clunk is back

I am taking my Mazdaspeed 3 to the dealer to fix the bolt second time. Hopefully they will fix it for good. I printed a few posts from this thread and I am taking it with me tomorrow.

I used an allen wrench to hold the middle and really torqued down on the nut about 2 months ago and haven't heard a thing from it since.

Bit of an update on this matter....After months of no noise the nut came loose again so again, I tightened it and the next day it was loose again. I called the dealership yesterday, finally, brought it in and they are going to replace the whole linkage and locktite it when they install it.

Bit of an update on this matter....After months of no noise the nut came loose again so again, I tightened it and the next day it was loose again. I called the dealership yesterday, finally, brought it in and they are going to replace the whole linkage and locktite it when they install it.

Yep, same thing happened to me. I must have tightened it 4-5 times and it kept coming loose. As soon as they replaced the linkage and locktited it, the problem never came back.

hmm..I wonder if this is the problem I've been having since I installed a new sway bar. I CANNOT figure out what the **** is knocking. I've checked twice and everything seems tight and in place. It's driving me NUTS...

So far this appears to have only affected 2007 models, correct? Or maybe the 2008 cars haven't reached the critical mileage point?
-enganear

hmm..I wonder if this is the problem I've been having since I installed a new sway bar. I CANNOT figure out what the **** is knocking. I've checked twice and everything seems tight and in place. It's driving me NUTS...

I would bet that's exactly what it is. Check it ASAP becuase if you lose that nut you're boned.

Can anyone post a pic of said bolt? I was under my car for the umpteenth time on Sunday and couldn't find a goddamn thing that was loose.... (nuts)
This one.

Attachments

• LooseNut.JPG
    LooseNut.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 224
Just 2007s

I have not seen anyone on this thread identified as owning a 2008 MS3 with this problem. If you own a 2008 and have experienced this problem, please speak up, it would be interesting to know if it was confined to 2007 models so we could start looking for any differences. If it happens to my 2008, I will put a jam nut on those exposed threads. They should be protected anyway!
-enganear

Last edited:
Bringing in my Speed3 tomorrow morning for the clunk. Hopefully nothing is stripped and if so, the replacement part is in stock.

Brought the Speed in for the noise. Of course they didn't find anything loose. Took it for a road test and put it up on the lift. Said everything was tight including the end link bolt.

Said next time it happens, to drop it over so it stays overnight and they can test in the am.

I have not seen anyone on this thread identified as owning a 2008 MS3 with this problem. If you own a 2008 and have experienced this problem, please speak up, it would be interesting to know if it was confined to 2007 models so we could start looking for any differences. If it happens to my 2008, I will put a jam nut on those exposed threads. They should be protected anyway!
-enganear

New 08.5 owner here!

Unfortunatly, 515 miles in, got the clunk. Crawled under the car to find the driver rear nut was hand tight. I snugged it up, clunk went away.

2 days later it was back. Jacked up the car this time so I could crawl under and get some more power on the wrench.

Has anyone found a permenant fix for this? Heavy torque and some red loctite?

Thanks guys.

I used blue 242, 40lbs all better for 16000 miles. Red is better until removal, then you need the heat. Blue did it for me. good luck

'08.5
I had my rear end clunk looked at it ends up that the bolt wasn't just loose, it had fallen completely off and was gone. Have one on order..

Good to know. I mine has about 50 miles so the bolt should still be there. Does anyone have the torque spec for these?

mine is an 07 with 32000 miles on it, never notice any clunk, will check it tonight, there should be a recall on this issue...by now with so many incident on this bolt/link... you should bring it to dealer and tell them to take care of it, don't do it your self, because what if your warranty is over, make sure they solve it. I will definitely have them check mine before 36000 miles, mostly highway miles,

Back