2016 CX9 Owners Thread

Even when there is a relationship between the reboot and the smartphone brand/model used, I see the reboot issue happening even when I don't have an smartphone connected.

Yes, my wife Android Galaxy A5 weeks ago was connected and 3 seconds later the unit reboots.

But after the reboot and 30 minutes, I even removed the USB memory and the unit reboot again. So is just a big bug on this thing. I don't experienced the reboot in the last 2 weeks but I don't used the NAV for 2 weeks now because I'm using the unit only for home - work. But 2 weeks ago we used the NAV to go near home and I get the reboot issue again.

yes, i agree this is true...i was not trying to imply that was the only variable, but potentially one of them. you are correct that i have seen the reboot happen even without a paired phone involved.

It's all about heat. We know the turbocharger is very hot from the exhaust gas. If it holds the heat, conventional oil will bake to carbon (like a 97-04 VW). If the turbocharger gives up its heat to the coolant and the flow of oil, much less chance of a problem. Don't shut the engine off immediately at a freeway rest stop, for example. Let the engine idle a couple of minutes so the oil flow will carry off the heat.

Each dealership makes its own deal with an oil supplier. They'll get the cheapest bulk oil of any brand that meets spec, unless they want to offer a superior product for marketing reasons. They'll also try to shorten the oil change interval to get you in more often. The service department is the gold mine of the dealership. The more often they get you in, the more chance they have to sell you more service, needed or not. Also keep in mind that the service writer is paid on commission. If he doesn't sell enough service, he's out of a job.

Gotcha, so this is the reason as to why you're saying synthetic is the way to go for this particular engine?

Gotcha, so this is the reason as to why you're saying synthetic is the way to go for this particular engine?

the owner's manual says 5W-30:
U.S.A., Canada, and Puerto Rico: Use SAE 5W-30 engine oil. Mazda Genuine Oil is used in your Mazda vehicle. Mazda Genuine 5W-30 Oil is required to achieve optimum fuel economy.

do we think we know something the Mazda engineers who designed this engine don't know? i am sure synthetic is fine as well, but is it worth the extra cost? they don't even mention it in the owner's manual.

Hi All, New to the forum. Its time to add another vehicle to the family and after much debate zoomed into 2 - Mazda Cx9 2016 and Acura MDX 2017. While I am yet to drive the new 2017 MDX...i did test drive the 2016 model and the Cx 9. I quite didn't like the drive handling of MDX against the CX9, however the specs around HP, CC, top speed, towing capacity, acceleration on higher speed ranges (to be honest, this one is from online reviews) and reliability appear better for MDX. Not sure if 2017 MDX has improved the handling

All insights/opinions are welcome...will help me assess better

I had a 2015 MDX SH-Tech (Same Generation as the current MDX) and traded it in after 13 months of ownership. Acura is not the same car company that I fell in love with in the early 90's. I had all sorts of small problems with my MDX and sub-par build quality. I had a constant buzzing feeling in my center armrest at idle and at speeds above 55mph that drove me crazy. At the end of the day, I decided to cut my losses and trade it in on an Audi Allroad. The Audi was totaled earlier this month so I am also looking at the CX-9 now. From the brief time I spent driving the CX-9, I can tell you it seems to be more refined and just drives better than the MDX. It honestly feels faster than the MDX even though on paper the MDX has more power. The only thing I would tow with the CX-9 would be a bike rack so I could care less about towing capacity. The only positive on the MDX was that it kept its value. I purchased the MDX for $46.5k and was given $44.5k on trade in.

I had a 2015 MDX SH-Tech (Same Generation as the current MDX) and traded it in after 13 months of ownership. Acura is not the same car company that I fell in love with in the early 90's. I had all sorts of small problems with my MDX and sub-par build quality. I had a constant buzzing feeling in my center armrest at idle and at speeds above 55mph that drove me crazy. At the end of the day, I decided to cut my losses and trade it in on an Audi Allroad. The Audi was totaled earlier this month so I am also looking at the CX-9 now. From the brief time I spent driving the CX-9, I can tell you it seems to be more refined and just drives better than the MDX. It honestly feels faster than the MDX even though on paper the MDX has more power. The only thing I would tow with the CX-9 would be a bike rack so I could care less about towing capacity. The only positive on the MDX was that it kept its value. I purchased the MDX for $46.5k and was given $44.5k on trade in.

@integroid - Thanks!! much for your feedback , I am thinking if I decide to pull the trigger on Mazda ...will go the lease route to avoid any challenges w.r.t to long term ownership. One more thing- the 3rd row ventilation appears to be a challenge ...would like to get your take on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey guys, wify just got the 2016 touring CX9 and she absolute loves it! We didn't get the optional Navi from dealership and we came across some listing on Ebay selling the Navigation SD card. i am not really sure which version to buy. Can anyone take a picture of your SD card for me to reference to, thank you guys in advance.

Hey guys, wify just got the 2016 touring CX9 and she absolute loves it! We didn't get the optional Navi from dealership and we came across some listing on Ebay selling the Navigation SD card. i am not really sure which version to buy. Can anyone take a picture of your SD card for me to reference to, thank you guys in advance.
Haven't looked since my GT came with navigation.
In a long discussion thread on another forum, we learned that some nav cards sold on eBay are counterfeit.

Genuine cards come with instructions to operate the nav system.
If just a bare card; even with replicated factory markings ... it's likely a fake ... and intellectual property theft.

Also note that the vehicle writes its VIN to the card after a few miles of operation and that the card won't work in a different Mazda vehicle; even one of the same model.
If a used card from another vehicle it won't work.

Confirm that the seller is a Mazda dealer and that the card comes with instructions to increase your chances of receiving a genuine card that works.

Conventional 5W-30 oil will work fine. Synthetic is the way to go if you live in regions with frigid winters or scorching summers (Death Valley, etc.), or truly can't get the oil changed on the factory schedule--but stick to the schedule as best you can.

It's probably fake, but if you buy it on eBay, and you get scammed, if you file a complaint with eBay, in all likelihood, they will refund your money. Just make sure to pay with PayPal.

Conventional 5W-30 oil will work fine. Synthetic is the way to go if you live in regions with frigid winters or scorching summers (Death Valley, etc.), or truly can't get the oil changed on the factory schedule--but stick to the schedule as best you can.

Hey all, got a contact that worked with developing cx-9 engine... Says synthetic is way to go

I'm not sure about those SD Cards...the manual says to only use the card given to you as it's comes with a code (VIN number)...If you insert the card or another car into your unit, it might render it useless (that's what I remember from the manual).

I'm not sure about those SD Cards...the manual says to only use the card given to you as it's comes with a code (VIN number)...If you insert the card or another car into your unit, it might render it useless (that's what I remember from the manual).

As previously noted, the vehicle itself writes the VIN number to the card after a short time; about 100 miles if I recall correctly.
This has been confirmed by numerous individuals on Miata.net.

Also, the Mazda map update program displayed the VIN of both my CX-9 and my 2016 Miata when I performed the recent map updates.

Genuine cards from a Mazda parts department WILL work ... as perhaps will some of the fakes found on eBay.
My issue with the fakes is the intellectual property theft.

Haven't looked since my GT came with navigation.
In a long discussion thread on another forum, we learned that some nav cards sold on eBay are counterfeit.

Genuine cards come with instructions to operate the nav system.
If just a bare card; even with replicated factory markings ... it's likely a fake ... and intellectual property theft.

Also note that the vehicle writes its VIN to the card after a few miles of operation and that the card won't work in a different Mazda vehicle; even one of the same model.
If a used card from another vehicle it won't work.

Confirm that the seller is a Mazda dealer and that the card comes with instructions to increase your chances of receiving a genuine card that works.

you really think the software is complicated enough to really lock out the navi from working if the vin # is written from one mazda and put it another?

maybe these SD cards sold on ebay are copies of it brand new before any VIN# is written on it. what is preventing someone from merely formatting the SD card. the ones on ebay could simply be copying the SD card from an original that is brand new and no VIN# registered to it.

It's not like this is a firmware flash or something, SD card is easy to reformat. seems low risk enough to try.

if i had the navi system ill gladly let someone copy it on a blank SD card to see if it works. we should have android auto and apple car play by now to not even worry about navi. SMH

please post your findings on the SD card from ebay. don't let other users discourage you. if it doesnt work as someone said you are protected by paypal/ebay policy.

Brother is looking buy a 2016.5 CX5 GT with Navi soon, I am gonna try with his SD card in my CX9(dance)

you really think the software is complicated enough to really lock out the navi from working if the vin # is written from one mazda and put it another?

maybe these SD cards sold on ebay are copies of it brand new before any VIN# is written on it. what is preventing someone from merely formatting the SD card. the ones on ebay could simply be copying the SD card from an original that is brand new and no VIN# registered to it.

It's not like this is a firmware flash or something, SD card is easy to reformat. seems low risk enough to try.

if i had the navi system ill gladly let someone copy it on a blank SD card to see if it works. we should have android auto and apple car play by now to not even worry about navi. SMH

please post your findings on the SD card from ebay. don't let other users discourage you. if it doesnt work as someone said you are protected by paypal/ebay policy.

As far as I know, once the original SD have the VIN information saved, you can backup the original SD, clone it and use a generic card. You can then save the original at home. You can make as many copies as you want. There is software to do it in the MX forum.

One SD with the VIN cannot be used in another Mazda vehicle. The SD card will work only in the original vehicle.

Just sharing a photo of my CX9 GT AWD red with superblack tinted windows.

Notice the photo is bad quality (Blackberry smartphone quick photo).

2016-09-07%2018.29.16.jpg

As far as I know, once the original SD have the VIN information saved, you can backup the original SD, clone it and use a generic card. You can then save the original at home. You can make as many copies as you want. There is software to do it in the MX forum.

One SD with the VIN cannot be used in another Mazda vehicle. The SD card will work only in the original vehicle.

what is preventing people from cloning the original SD card BEFORE the VIN gets saved on it? which is probably what the ones on ebay are doing. if thats the case, ill just go that route to get navigation

what is preventing people from cloning the original SD card BEFORE the VIN gets saved on it? which is probably what the ones on ebay are doing. if thats the case, ill just go that route to get navigation

I'm pretty sure the SD have some kind or protection to avoid piracy.

I just got the reminder to update Sirius XM Radio... I couldn't believe it. These people want almost $19/month for their service? Are they out of their mind? I was actually willing to pay $3.99-$4.99, but $18something? HELL NO!

Latest posts

Back