zoom zoom zoom

dug06824

I heard before I bought my rx8 that the car gets faster as the car adds mileage and its not my imagination,I have about 9,500 miles on the car and it feels stronger ,esp with traction control off , it always felt stronger with it disingaged but the car feels faster,I also read reviews on the car and the testers also saw faster 1/4 mile and 0-60 times, . has anyone else felt this about their cars?

honestly yes, its hard to explain but I truly felt my car getting peppier as the engine started to seat itself around 10,000 miles. before that it felt "tight," it had that new engine wine as it was warming up on cold mornings, and it had that new engine exhaust smell for the first 8-9k.

after that it just sounded more relaxed and predictable.

the car feeling faster has some truth to it, as the engine wears the seals seat themselfs and the car "breaks in". It does take quite a bit longer for a rotary engine to "break in" than a piston motor....although the differences we are talking about on a new motor vs a motor with say 10,000 miles on it is so slim you couldnt measure it. Even by seat of the pants, so I still say this is more of a "in your head" thing. I think part of this feeling with the RX8/Rotary is because of the "~30K mile reset" that mazda did on the FD RX7, where the car altered its fuel and timing maps at a specific miliage.

Its the same kind of thing where people will bolt on an intake to the RX8 and talk about how much faster the car feels, or how much more power it makes, only to find out on a dyno that the car actualy LOST power.

As for the "car feels faster with the traction control off" that is also BS, it makes a difference on the dyno, but on the street the car makes no more power with it on or off....the only thing it does is apply the brakes/limit throttle when the tires slip.

Back