I can’t drive with 35 PSI (in OEM Toyo tires)!

I use 27 PSI cold pressure. Tire pressure calculator is 28 psi (6 lower than the standard tire) and I go 1 psi lower. 26 psi is the lowest pressure recommended in this size.

View attachment 321239

27psi COLD?

I'm at a loss as to your reasoning for this ridiculously low, possibly dangerous, pressure. This can only lead to low fuel economy and unnecessary tire wear.

Why?

27psi COLD?

I'm at a loss as to your reasoning for this ridiculously low, possibly dangerous, pressure. This can only lead to low fuel economy and unnecessary tire wear.

Why?

2257516.jpg

Larger tires with a higher load index can use lower pressure.

Our CX-5 tires were at 45 psi from the dealer. I dropped them to 35 psi and the ride improved a lot.

I don't know what it is these days on new cars and delivered tire pressure. I had to replace my totaled truck and my new truck tires were at 50 psi after sitting overnight. The door jam sticker says "35 psi cold".

Our CX-5 tires were at 45 psi from the dealer. I dropped them to 35 psi and the ride improved a lot.

I don't know what it is these days on new cars and delivered tire pressure. I had to replace my totaled truck and my new truck tires were at 50 psi after sitting overnight. The door jam sticker says "35 psi cold".
one theory is when they are transporting them they jack the tire pressure up so when they strap them down they are more solid. not sure if that is true but the dealership still should do the PDI and set to correct psi.

That's an easy one to answer. Cars are shipped with high tires pressures from the factory, for various reasons.

It's the job of the dealership to correct the pressure before the car gets sold (among other prep that often gets 'overlooked'). Laziness is mostly to blame but it's the dealership's management that's the real culprit. The managers should be stressing the importance of the PDI but many don't.

Caveat emptor!!!

Yes, but why would you use such low pressure? The CX isn't some offroad beast that can be fitted with giant sized tires.
lower psi can provide a nicer ride. if they are not overheating or wearing funny not really hurting anything. might be a tad less mpg but might not. My truck gets the same mpg whether psi is at the door sticker 60/65psi or 35 psi.

On my 2016 CX-5 w/ Nokian WR G4 SUV tires, I typically do 33-35psi (cold). Seems a good middle-ground for fuel-efficiency, handling, and decent ride quality. Anything near 30psi, then handling gets noticeably "squishier" as compared to 33-35psi. During winter, I typically boost it another 1-2psi.

Of course, these Nokian tires aren't anybody's performance shoes. They're designed with a winter-biased tread design and year-'round compound. So they definitely feel softer and squishier than a moderately performance-oriented summer or 3-season tire.

View attachment 321263

Larger tires with a higher load index can use lower pressure.
225/75R16 104H in your calculator is a “larger” tire than your OE Yokohama Geolandar G91A 225/65R17 100H tire? And “slightly larger” OE Toyo A36 225/55R19 99V uses higher 35 psi recommended by Mazda for the same CX-5?

Proper tire pressure is a complicated matter, in addition to factory recommendations it also involves personal experience and personal preference.

The Load Index is an assigned numerical value that signifies a tire's maximum load carrying capacity. You don’t use that value as a major factor to calculate the tire pressure but a safety limit. Like we don’t use the maximum inflation pressure stamped on the side wall to run the vehicle either although it does affect the best tire pressure for the longest tire wear and the best performance.

With the advanced tire technology nowadays, recommended tire pressure has been changing and is getting higher and higher. The factory recommended tire pressure on my 1998 Honda CR-V 205/70R15 tire is 26 psi, but I have to use at least 35 psi for my current General AltiMax RT43’s or it would be severely under-inflected.

Toyo has an excellent inflation guide. weigh your car and use the guide on the 225/55-19 you can run 26 psi and be safe. 26psi would support a 5200lb vehicle the cx5 turbo weighs around 3867lbs and has a gvwr of 4828lbs

You don’t consider only the weight of your vehicle to calculate the proper tire pressure. If you use 26 psi on your CX-5, you definitely under-inflated your tire and will show all the under-inflation symptoms on tire wear、performance、and handling.

You don’t consider only the weight of your vehicle to calculate the proper tire pressure. If you use 26 psi on your CX-5, you definitely under-inflated your tire and will show all the under-inflation symptoms on tire wear、performance、and handling.
not necessarily true but we all have our experiences. Maybe that is why some people have complained about the Toyo performance. I have set mine down to 32 psi and feel great and of course I only have 10,000 miles but perfect tread wear so far. I live in an area where high speed limits and lots of twisty roads and so far handling is great. but I do know we all have to do what makes us comfortable.

not necessarily true but we all have our experiences. Maybe that is why some people have complained about the Toyo performance. I have set mine down to 32 psi and feel great and of course I only have 10,000 miles but perfect tread wear so far. I live in an area where high speed limits and lots of twisty roads and so far handling is great. but I do know we all have to do what makes us comfortable.
Mazda in US gives only one tire pressure recommendation. But here are multiple tire pressure recommendations from Mazda for CX-5’s in Europe:

1C97D9E9-036B-4A99-9910-17E5CE3AA702.jpeg

8C4A532E-2A2B-4104-B839-C41637253DFC.jpeg

76A83612-AAB0-4EAA-964A-25921AE63B4A.jpeg

094A2CF4-F1A7-4EA1-A9C4-791850E87AB7.jpeg

I set my CX5 19" overnight cold to the recommendations on the place card inside the driver's door. This recommendation should be all around best for Ride, Safety and longevity. If you go above or below more than 10%, then you are biasing one at the expense of the others. Ed

As @erhayes and some others have indicated, tire pressure effects many different things. I visualize it like those radar charts or "spider" charts that you often see on tire sites comparing different tires: (just an example below)
Screenshot_20230806-135347.png

Where the letters around the outside would be your attributes (tire wear, comfort, wet grip, dry grip, load carrying, etc) and the colored lines would be various pressure settings.

The manufacturer recommendation is a balance but if a particular attribute is more important to you, by all means, adjust the pressure to your liking. Just be aware/understand how that effects the other attributes. If a softer ride is most important to you and you drop your pressure to 27 (or 31 or whatever) psi just realize that the tires will likely wear faster, build more heat, hydroplane at lower speeds (see Horne's principle if you wanna geek out on aviation stuff lol ) have increased stopping distances, etc.

Sure, most drivers most of the time are not pushing any edges of tire traction performance. It's not important .... until it is. Then it's really important! A more plush, cushy ride can come at the cost taking 25 longer to stop, rear ending a vehicle ahead, striking a pedestrian or sliding across the center line when the chips are down or perhaps hydroplaning in heavy rain or not.

It's a balance and life is replete with choices 😊.

I use 27 PSI cold pressure. Tire pressure calculator is 28 psi (6 lower than the standard tire) and I go 1 psi lower. 26 psi is the lowest pressure recommended in this size.

View attachment 321239
your tires are going to probably going to get half the tread wear as what they are rated for. you're also greatly reducing the amount of traction the tires have on the road as the center of the tires isn't making full contact

Be cautious about too low PSI.
Remember the Firestone debacle on Fords back in the day?

I believe low tire pressures specified by Ford contributed to overheating the tires and tread failure.

Be cautious about too low PSI.
Remember the Firestone debacle on Fords back in the day?

I believe low tire pressures specified by Ford contributed to overheating the tires and tread failure.
Yes, indeed!

Low tire pressure could make the tire becoming too hot and cause the tread separation like the Firestone tire debacle.

In old days the owner’s manual wanted you to put 3 more psi than recommended if you want to drive the car on the highway.

Who knew a tire pressure thread could be more fun than an oil thread! Wooooot!!! 😁
It's funny how these threads keep coming back. Tire pressures, oil changes, gas mileage, Extended warranties...

Back