Your thoughts on my build

mx-p5

Team Fail Motorsports
Contributor
:
03.5 Protege5
Got an 03 Pro5 with the 5 speed. Stock

Added: Magnaflow catback, Apexcone 4500K low beams, PIAA 2400K fogs, blacked out headlights, and tint.

Plans:
OBX Header, Injen CAI, Protege Garage midpipe with highflow cat, Eibach Pro's with Tokico Struts, and TWM Short shifter w/boot, bushings, and knob.

Question is, am I missing anything? Trying to keep the budget below $2000.

I will be ordering all of this from Protege Garage as soon as my bike sells. Anybody got suggestions? Much appreciated!!

Tylor

Last edited:
What about some other suspension parts like their adjustable endlinks or rear sway bar? Pulleys, motor mounts, baffled oil pan?? Powder coat your valve cover?

Rather than the parts listed above? Like I said, I'm trying to stay below $2000 and it's my daily driver I want to make a little more fun. I am not turning it into an AutoX vehichle. Just lower it to make it look a little nicer. probably paint the stock wheels for now.

Tylor

Like DieHonda said, dress up the engine bay a little...powdercoat the valve cover...u might need motor mounts before it's all said and done, and maybe some pulleys. But believe me, when u start modding, it's gonna be hard to stop!!

Definitely get a better front motor mount when you get the header- reason is that the factory manifold has a brace on the engine block and the OBX doesn't. Plus, your factory motor mounts are probably shot by now anyway.

The only other thing I would suggest is that since you live in Florida, get yourself some nice sticky summer only tires (no all season crap). A good summer tire will handle rain better too as well as grip the dry roads better too.

Other than that though, you've got yourself the same recipe of mods that most of us have so you're on the right track.

as to how close, I'm waiting to hear from Ken as to the shipping on all those parts. If he can work with me some. Also, I am very limited inthe tools available to me, so, I'm trying to stay with parts easily accessable and replacable. Also, i am unsure about pullies. I'm reading good and bad. W/O any shipping, i am at $1654. And, I think I can install everything on the first list myself. I'm trying to stay away from parts that require going to a shop, other than the suspension.

Tylor

well good luck like others have said its hard to stop once you start sounds like a good start you would def would want some pulleys they are great cant wait to dyno mine, and again GOOD LUCK

And not to sound like a Total noob, but, what exactly do the pullies do? I read lots of discussion on them, but, nothing really of benefits.

Also, engine mounts, AWR Complete kit sounds good. What durometer should I run? Softer? Stiff? Stiffest? It's my daily driver, and, I would like to keep it fairly soft on the roads.

And, w/ complete motor mount kit, total's at $1900 w/o shipping. I can get some parts cheaper elsewhere, but, I'd like to help out our sponsers.

Tylor

Last edited:
Go softest. I have the 88 durometer on the front and sides and the factory rear mount. It rattles. I'm hoping swapping out the rear will fix that.

The pullies are lightweight accessory (water pump, alternator, power steering) pullies. They reduce rotational interia which allows the crankshaft to spin easier. Check this thread:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123684204
Although he says he's sold out now, he will be making more.

Well, bonus's are coming tomorrow, but, had a bomb dropped on me. Our HR person told me I'm probably going to wind up owing afew thousand in taxes so I shouldn't go spending all of my bonus. So, all mods are on hold. This blows.

Tylor

Alright, she did the numbers wrong and I should be ok, so, whenever the kid shows either Sunday or Monday and hopefully takes the bike, I've got a slightly updated list

Wife doesn't want the exhaust noise any louder, considering we'll be using my car for roadtrips, so, header and midpipe is scratched

So I'm thinking
Simota Air intake(cheaper than injen but just as effective)
AWR front motor mount
Espelir springs and tokico HP's
TWM full shift kit(w/bushings, knob, and boot)

That puts me at just under $1000.

I bought a 42" HD TV and 263 piece Craftsman mechanics tool kit with the other $1000 I was gonna spend on the car.

So, if the bike sells, I'll be posting that the parts are on the way!!

Tylor

Update:

TWM ss ordered with boot, bushings, and wieghted knob.

Also ordered AWR Front motor mount.

Purchased an AEM SRI as well

Also bought myself a nice new motorola bluetooth, so i can talk and drive stick easier.

So, moneies left on hand are $560

I am thinking of going audio now, rather than suspension, sense I spend more time in traffic. Not sure though. Also still contemplating the header.

Also within the year, I'll be putting in a new clutch and possibly flywheel.

Your thoughts on which clutch? ACT stage I or II? Any other brand names? Won't be going turbo for at least 2 years.

Also your thoughts on a Fidenza flywheel?

Tylor

You have gone in complete different directions since your original post. A header + exhaust will be loud on our cars. Ive had it was amazingly loud. Even with a catted mid pipe since I did both options. You can change your driving dynamic to fix this but yeah not the same.

I would do a header if your looking for some power. The CAI, depends, but to me is a bit of a waste I just took all the resonating out of the intake and BAM I was set and happy.

Suspension is key with these cars so I would reverse the order for you, depends on what you want, and get springs and struts. It will make driving the car so much more fun! A header alone with stock exhaust wont be bad it is what I ended up with my car.

Honestly before you go any further and progress with this THINK about what you want short term and make a plan. If you go buying random s*** it wont help. Have a plan for the car and what you want overall before taking the next step. You are all over the place it seems and want to do many things, which is not bad, but yeah.

Anyway enjoy the car I did until I upgraded.

I know I'm all over, it's that my first thoughts on building the car was to make it fun and fast. Some autoxing even, but, i sold my bike so my spare vehichle is no longer. Didn't think that through. So, lowering it and making it corner better isn't really pratical for me anymore. I want to keep the car nice to cruise in, comfortable. Not so worried about it being sporty(it's already a blast). I got a good deal on the intake, so, it's gonna be in there. The shifter is because I feel like I'm driving a truck when I throw the shifter. I have some wheel hop, so, the motor mount.

As to where I'm going with the car now, is pretty much mild. I'm going more for a pretty car than a fast car. I'm thinking more along the lines of car audio and visual upgrades. Nothing show quality, but, maybe a lip and grill from autoexes. MAYBE some rims, but, probably gonna just paint the stockers.

Tylor

Last edited:
I know I'm all over, it's that my first thoughts on building the car was to make it fun and fast. Some autoxing even, but, i sold my bike so my spare vehichle is no longer. Didn't think that through. So, lowering it and making it corner better isn't really pratical for me anymore. I want to keep the car nice to cruise in, comfortable. Not so worried about it being sporty(it's already a blast). I got a good deal on the intake, so, it's gonna be in there. The shifter is because I feel like I'm driving a truck when I throw the shifter. I have some wheel hop, so, the motor mount.

As to where I'm going with the car now, is pretty much mild. I'm going more for a pretty car than a fast car. I'm thinking more along the lines of car audio and visual upgrades. Nothing show quality, but, maybe a lip and grill from autoexes. MAYBE some rims, but, probably gonna just paint the stockers.

Tylor

If you wanted to get a quality shifter at a reasonable price I got a megan racing SS on ebay for like 50 bucks it was/is awesome. (was because p5 is gone). Well if you need any advice the boards are here but audio is a godd standpoint dont go overkill and make it riced out!

Thanks for the guidance. I do not plan on ricing. My wife's got a $2000 system, but, if you looked in the car, you wouldn't guess it till the speakers come to life. I believe in looking stock, performing beautifully.

I woulda gone all out stereo and suspension, but, i got antsy and bought a tv and tools. Whoops, there went $1100. Oh well, I do like the TV and I'm glad I can now install the other parts I'll buy now, rather than having to take it to a shop to install an intake. Me likes me tools.

I'll keep updated with the parts and they show and I install.

Tylor

Sad to here about the purge solenoid in the other thread that i'm sure it was you posting... As for your modding plans and progress, you will get HOOKED... I've done the same thing as you at first just spinning in circles about what to do and what order and whoa whoa whoa slow down....

So i came up with a template on how i wanted to do things... Should check it out its the link in my sig "Current Engine/Suspension Build"... It's just a template to help me keep track of my progress... Hopefully you will find it useful. It's a little overkill but then again you can always edit... and i stress that it's just a template.

If you get the AWR mounts get the softest front mount and inserts for the sides( Providign your side moutns are good) and you wont get much vibrations and a hell of a lot less drive train lash.

Latest posts

Back