You know you bought the right car...

'59 Austin Healey.

Beautiful car.

I've exclusively driven pickup trucks since 1989, so like your Jeeps, I cannot imagine sitting any closer to the pavement than a CUV puts me. When I was growing up, most folks my age were driving "boats." Now it's pickups & SUVs.

Yeah, grew up in the mountains and used the Jeeps for their 4x4 well, plus had a snowplow on one of them for the winter for our insanely long and steep dirt driveway. Though our dirt wasn't so loose like Uno's driveway, it did get deep ruts in its major almost 90 degree turn and cars (not us) would get stuck there all the time in the winter. Though there were some snowstorms when I was growing up where we got 4-6ft of snow. Kinda want to see a snowstorm like that again where everything shuts down and you get a nice quiet day or two at home.

I miss living up there.

CX-5 is a great compact SUV, no doubt about it. If you've got the extra cash, buy a Miata as well :)

As indicated in my signature line, exactly what I've done ...

I've had many sports cars over the years ranging from MGs, Triumphs, Datsun Zs and RX-7s to a Subaru BRZ and a couple of Porsches.

Though the Signature CX-5 is as close to a sports car as moderately-priced SUVs get (note the Porsche Macan and its direct competition are NOT moderately priced when new), there's nothing quite like taking a long top-down drive over rural twisty roads.

I've reached a point in my life where "status" cars like the aforementioned Porsches and a couple of BMWs aren't as important to me as good-performing, reasonably-priced, low-maintenance, and reliable vehicles.

With the Signature CX-5 and current Miata MX-5 (to be replaced with the incoming 30th Anniversary edition), I'm down from as many as 7 vehicles (including 4 Miatas at one point) to the sweet spot of 2; a practical vehicle and another merely to scratch my perennial itch to drive just for fun.

I appreciate that Mazda produces my 2 terrific vehicles for the price of a well-optioned Macan.

LOL! I'm only 28, but I have really bad knees, so trust me, I make the same grunt trying to get out of low to the ground cars. Part of the reason I bought a CUV. I grew up with Jeeps which were even higher off the ground LOL!

Same here! Growing up I've already sat in higher vehicles such as minivans and trucks. I (foolishly) bought a Corolla as a first car, drove that for 3.5 years and got a CX-5 last year. I don't miss sedans at all since it provides improved visibility and ingress/egress. Whenever I sit in my friends' cars, it's like I'm sitting on the floor. "Nope, I'll drive next time."

I hear you about not being able to easily get in and out of low slung cars.I've sat in the mazda 3 and 6 in the dealer showroom while waiting for an oil change but it was with some difficulty.And to think I had a toyota Celica (long ago).After injuring my back about a year and a half ago,I'm real glad to have the CX-5 ride height.This gettin' old s*** ain't no fun. Jmaz

I appreciate driving dynamics, BSM option since day one, and commander knobs.

Beautiful car.

Yeah, grew up in the mountains and used the Jeeps for their 4x4 well, plus had a snowplow on one of them for the winter for our insanely long and steep dirt driveway. Though our dirt wasn't so loose like Uno's driveway, it did get deep ruts in its major almost 90 degree turn and cars (not us) would get stuck there all the time in the winter. Though there were some snowstorms when I was growing up where we got 4-6ft of snow. Kinda want to see a snowstorm like that again where everything shuts down and you get a nice quiet day or two at home.

I miss living up there.

As I recall, your mother is still up there.

I lived in Indiana until I was 9, then we moved to Virginia. I doubt I'll ever get back there. I've lived in Virginia too long to find the thought of long-term snow to be pleasurable.

On the other hand, I worked with a woman from Minnesota. News reports of blizzards there would make her homesick.

It's funny what we adapt to.

Last edited:
And take the long way when going to the store.

Always.

I live in between two interstate exits, and take the old original 55 MPH highway west to the store. Coming back, I'll hop on the 70 MPH interstate at the store, drive past where I live (no exit there) and get off on the further exit, then circle back and take the narrow "no speed limit" roads to my home. Until gas goes to $5 a gallon, it's cheap entertainment!

ps: I like your user name. This is my first Mazda as well. I don't know why they don't have a larger market share in the states.

As I recall, your mother is still up there.

Not for long. House was sold and technically she is living there under a lease until she finds a new house which is not easy in this market.

Still kinda bitter about how stuff went down that required her to sell.

Not for long. House was sold and technically she is living there under a lease until she finds a new house which is not easy in this market.

Still kinda bitter about how stuff went down that required her to sell.

I'm sorry to hear that.

My mom had property outside of DC and when she went to retire, "professional appraisers" tried to buy it out from under her without ever putting forth an opinion on value. At that point we punted all the real estate "professionals," hired an attorney to draw up contracts to reflect the deals we cut, and did it all ourselves.

I spent a good part of my career in corporate procurement. Lots of one-way people out there. I've met a lot of them, and have worked for a few.

Back