Yet another reason to change you own oil...

NiteRunner

:
MazdaSpeed3 GT
...and any other maintenance that you feel you can handle.
I just had to share this as I was a bit shocked when I changed my oil today.
5000 miles on full synthetic. The plastic cap seemed a bit tight to me and when I removed the filter, voila, the unit appeared to be crushed.
Last oil change the Stealership had a special offer, I gave them my ,(better), synthetic oil and let them have at it. Serves me right I suppose for letting anyone else touch my car.
Am I wrong and something else was responsible for this deformation?
IMAG0243.jpgIMAG0244.jpgIMAG0248.jpg

Also I've added a photo of three of the four filters I purchased just to see the different media they used. From left; Fram, Fram extra guard and Super Tech. They are all very similar, but the ST seems to cram too much media to flow properly, (just an observation). In the end I went with a Purolator Pure One filter, but it's worth noting that the construction of the PL is very similar to that of the Fram EG and I hate to admit that. The outside diameter of the Pure One was a tad smaller, what's up with that?

As always, sorry for the cell pics with a dead batter and no flash. Also my first pics upload, hope it works.

I work at a Valvoline Instant Oil Change and almost all the internal paper filters come off looking like that...

Oh, thanks Sleezer, funny I don't remember it looking that way last time I changed it myself, but I feel better knowing that it should not have damaged my engine.
Also makes me wish we had standard spin on filters, they don't seem to look that way in any of the cut in half oil filters comparisons I've seen.
By the way, that was the standard filter that Mazda put in for me.

Yea not all of em come off like that but a good majority do, I think its all depends on whether the filer decides to turn as the cap is tightened or if it sticks and twists inside the assembly

i've been doing all the oil changes on our mazda5, and the filter always comes off looking like that. if you look up inside the filter housing, there really isnt anything for the filter to get stuck on to make it fold over and not work correctly.

I have NEVER had a filter come off looking like that. Sure, its not as uniformly spaced as a brand new one, but its never been "squished" like that

i use synthetic and change it myself every 3k (stfu to anyone that wants to get into the "too early for synthetic" argument)

I cant say for sure why that would happen other than maybe some equipment has ever-so-slightly different dimensions than others, so some crush while others dont

I always change my own oil and that's how they look when they come off. Don't like it? Get the adapter kit and use the spin on.

I've done all 15 oil changes on my MS3 and have never had a filter look like that. FWIW, I've used only OEM filters.

So my OCD kicked in and i took a pic of all the internal filters I changed today just so you can get an idea. As you can see 2 of the five had some deformation ... to be honest the second one always comes off crushed like that the other ones are hit or miss

Photo0303.jpg

Photo0300.jpg

Photo0302.jpg

Photo0301.jpg

Photo0299.jpg

The op's pic of his filter not only had a crushed element, the top plate was deformed. That cant be normal

i would say perhaps the spring inside the housing cover is binding or seized so it doesnt fully seat the filter properly. Or something is tweaked in such a way that it gets crushed upon installation

Back