Yakima Skybox 18 does not fit CX9 with factory rack and crossbars

IslandTractor

:
2010 CX9 GT Silver/Blk
Despite the Yakima website indicating that this combination does work, it doesn't. Nice box but the front factory crossbar does not move forward enough to allow the Skybox 18 in max forward position to clear the rear hatch. There are no warnings on the Yakima website and they actually indicate it does fit (they said they'd change that and include a warning).

Bottom line: The combo would work with non factory crossbars mounted further forward on the factory rack and it would obviously work with Yakima/Thule racks that allow further forward placement of the crossbars.

Biggest Yakima cargo box that will fit the factory rack/crossbars will therefore be the Skybox 16.

The Skybox series from Yakima is very nice and the locking and attachment systems are a bit beefier than the equivalent Thule boxes as well as being a little less money. Yakima customer service has been good about arranging shipping back.

Just got a Yakima Skybox 16S to replace the 18. Fits just fine although with the factory crossbars you need to use the full forward adjustment to get an inch or so clearance on the tailgate.

Factory crossbars are more limiting than aftermarket crossbars but they do give the lowest profile by a few inches.

good to know. i borrowed a thule box this past winter that rubbed the spoiler even with it all the way forward on the factory rails. decided we'd purchase the right one this season, now i know which one to get. thanks.

I have the same Yakima box but Mont Blanc crossbars and have no problem. But the MB's are considerably higher off the roof than the factory crossbars so that's probably the difference here.

Note, the back of my skybox is all dinged up from the tailgate spoiler on my last car (subaru legacy gt).

But the MB's are considerably higher off the roof than the factory crossbars so that's probably the difference here.

I suspect it is more that you can move the front bar further forward as that is what caused the problem with the factory crossbars. The adjustments on the factory rack and factory crossbars does not allow you to get within 6-8 inches of the front pillar due to the way the slotted assembly of the side rails works. The MB, Thule and Yakima racks either use pillars rather than the Mazda factory side rails and the pillars are mounted further forward than the most forward position possible with the factory set up. If using the factory rack, the MB, Thule and Yakima crossbars mount on top of the rack rather than in the same slot as the factory crossbars. In either case you can get the front crossbar mounted further forward than is possible with the factory rack plus factory crossbar combo.

CORRECTION: My box is actually a skybox 16 which is about a foot shorter than the 19 and might explain why I have no problem with the tailgate. I'm attaching some pictures of my setup: factory rails, mont blanc crossbars and yakima skybox 16.
Sorry for the dirty car but it was a messy week in VT.

photo1.JPG
photo2.JPG
photo3.JPG

On the subject of cargo boxes, I just installed OEM crossbars on my '08 CX-9 and gave my existing cargo box a try. I can confirm that my Thule Altantis 1200 did fit if I moved the cross bars and the Thule box mounts all the way forward. It's tight through and there's only a half inch or so of clearance with the rear hatch up. My cargo box is a few years old so if they've moved the mounts around at all it may no longer work. If you're going to buy a box I recommend you buy from somewhere with a good return policy.

so I was so happy to get a killing deal on yakima skybox 16 only to realize that mounting points are not far enough for whispbars that I want to attach to factory fixed mounting points. WTF ??? this is clearly underengineered on yakima's end. So many years of constant issues with these frickin boxes ....either mounting in not spread far enough or not positioned properly so rear gate is hitting the box. Same issues on all the cars I ever owned. Yakima managed to spread mounting points at max 42" on yakima skybox 18 ....so it's clearly doable! End of rant! Anyone has any hints on extending slots properly so this damn box doesn't launch of my roof at hwy speeds?

so I was so happy to get a killing deal on yakima skybox 16 only to realize that mounting points are not far enough for whispbars that I want to attach to factory fixed mounting points. WTF ??? this is clearly underengineered on yakima's end. So many years of constant issues with these frickin boxes ....either mounting in not spread far enough or not positioned properly so rear gate is hitting the box. Same issues on all the cars I ever owned. Yakima managed to spread mounting points at max 42" on yakima skybox 18 ....so it's clearly doable! End of rant! Anyone has any hints on extending slots properly so this damn box doesn't launch of my roof at hwy speeds?

I use the Yakima round crossbars (58"?) with the Yakima Low Rider towers to get onto the factory roof side rails (I do not have the crossbars). I am able to locate my Yakima Skybox 21 and a RocketBox 16 at the same time with no rear door interference. Nice, solid mount.

Back