XelderX's BG FSP Build

While everyone is out in Nebraska I decided to work on the Pro a little more. I have retested the injector drivers in the ECU by hardwiring 4 injectors to a Stim board and the ECU will fire all 4. I'm now back to checking the harness on the car to look for a bad ground possibly isolated to one of the injector drivers.

Good news! We think we have the injector problem figured out. I'm hoping it doesn't rain all day tomorrow so I can put the Pro back together. I've got the intake manifold bolted back up. I just need to remount the fuel rail/injectors and see if she'll try and crank up.

Good news! We think we have the injector problem figured out. I'm hoping it doesn't rain all day tomorrow so I can put the Pro back together. I've got the intake manifold bolted back up. I just need to remount the fuel rail/injectors and see if she'll try and crank up.

It's the simple things that seem to always hold up progress. Story of my life.

Well, here is the story so far. The injector problem doesn't appear to be the issue with the car. We found there was an advanced setting in the ECU interface that you could set to turn off/on the 2nd injector driver under cranking. I went over to the garage today to finally try it with all 4 injectors firing under cranking. That didn't solve the cranking problem. She still won't run, but I could at least tell that all 4 cylinders were firing since all four primaries were warm . They just weren't firing at the right times or not often enough. It was kind of impossible to crank the car and check the coils with the timing light. She would kind of stumble a little bit and tease you into thinking she would crank, but the cylinders are just not working together.

I'm pretty confident the trigger wheel/VR sensor is working correctly as the RPMs remain steady under cranking. I'm not sure if there is a big issue when the motor tries to fire though. The vibration or electrical noise could be screwing up the VR sensor right when the motor tries to fire over.

Heh, think you can still run with Jinx after he gets the VTEC motor and Si tranny done?

I'm pretty confident the Protege can keep up with the new Civics. The car has been consistently faster than his car by a few tenths with me driving and a second faster than him with more talented drivers. I still have a lot to learn as a driver and I'm hoping to finally get in a full season of seat time in the car. It's technically only been to about 5-6 events in the last 2 years. It still has some development left in it.

I really like your build. You put a lot of energy into this. I recently had the option of trading in my 92 Pro lx or 94 Miata when I bought my MSP and I kept the 92 lx. I will probably buy another Miata though.

I really like your build. You put a lot of energy into this. I recently had the option of trading in my 92 Pro lx or 94 Miata when I bought my MSP and I kept the 92 lx. I will probably buy another Miata though.

Thanks man, it's been a very long project and up till now there have been very few payoffs. Things are starting to turn around and I'm finally getting to drive the car on a consistent basis. I went FTD/FTP at the last event (most of the fast locals were in Blytheville for the National Tour, but there were some other fast cars there). My next event will be the DC Pro Solo in 2 weeks. This will be the first big test for the car on the new motor. There will be at least 2 other nationally competitive FSP cars there and one is a AWD Subaru so it is going to be a challenge overcoming his launch advantage.

I don't know if I missed your post about it, but how is the BP coming along? Are you making similar power with the BP over the FS?

I don't know if I missed your post about it, but how is the BP coming along? Are you making similar power with the BP over the FS?

Power is similar, just a little below the FS, but i think we can optimize the intake and exhaust a little better to help the breathing and then maybe readjust the cam gears to match. The FS motors benefited from installing a larger throttle body and we haven't tried that yet on the BP. My 4-2-1 header is also a quick hack job and I know we are losing a little there.

It was nice to finally meet you guys in DC this past weekend. Car looks good, but you have a lot of work to do because Jinx was very, very quick. The purple looks great in person. Also, sorry to let everyone down and get beat by a Spec-V (notcool)

It was nice to finally meet you guys in DC this past weekend. Car looks good, but you have a lot of work to do because Jinx was very, very quick. The purple looks great in person. Also, sorry to let everyone down and get beat by a Spec-V (notcool)

Good meeting you too. Jinx's car may be untouchable. I would like to see what times he ran in the Challenge to see if he was still holding back during class competition.

Justin, you think it's gonna be spec civic eventually? Looks like you didn't do too bad yourself. If you can hang with Jay Storm you should have a really good shot at a trophy this year at Nats!

Van

Justin, you think it's gonna be spec civic eventually? Looks like you didn't do too bad yourself. If you can hang with Jay Storm you should have a really good shot at a trophy this year at Nats!

Van

Jinx ran both Saturday sessions with 205 width Hoosiers on the front and still put 7/10ths on us. He thought we were sandbagging. You can see that most of my times were pretty close per side both days. We were pushing hard every run. He put the 275s on for Sunday and dropped another 7/10ths on the right course. Considering that I could outrun him last year pretty consistently on raw time I'm a little concerned. I'm still getting my head back in the game so I'm sure there is time to be gained on my side. We can still drop some weight out of my car and I would like to lower it about 1", but I'm not going to do anything drastic right now.

Jinx ran both Saturday sessions with 205 width Hoosiers on the front and still put 7/10ths on us. He thought we were sandbagging. You can see that most of my times were pretty close per side both days. We were pushing hard every run. He put the 275s on for Sunday and dropped another 7/10ths on the right course. Considering that I could outrun him last year pretty consistently on raw time I'm a little concerned. I'm still getting my head back in the game so I'm sure there is time to be gained on my side. We can still drop some weight out of my car and I would like to lower it about 1", but I'm not going to do anything drastic right now.

Wow, he beat Whipple in raw time. That's just not right. He's gone to 275's now? Well, good luck and get your head back in it and hope you make some fast changes for Nats.

Van

Back