Wrote moza with some suggestions. Do you agree?

Do you agree or Disagree with what I wrote

• Total voters

Macadonious

:
Maxda3
Wrote mazda with some suggestions. Do you agree?

I have a few suggestions for the architects of the Mazda3s.
  • The gear ratio on the automatic transmission, is far too long, they need to be shortened.
  • The compression of the engine should be increased
  • The ECU needs to be recomputed for an increase in the air/fuel ratio
  • The car needs to be wider as the compartment is a little cramped for the legs of the driver.
  • Add more of a clear coat over the paint (6 to 9 mm thick) as the paint chips extremely easy. This will help prevent premature paint destruction
  • Lastly, the cars center of gravity is too high and needs to be brought down about a inch.
These are a few suggestions from a former Auto-X racer. I know this is a sedan, but it is a sports sedan that is targeted to the youth. I also believe if you want more of a marketing census of the people that own this particular car or any car that Mazda makes, the dealership should hand out a small one page surveys with a suggestion box (example: while they wait for there car to be serviced) of their attitude toward the car they own. This will help your marketing research to know what the consumer is looking for in a car and what type of people will buy the car. I also find this to be a very inexpensive way to do research.

Last edited:
as much as you try, you can't please everyone. it's an economy car with a sport package, not a sports car that's economy sized.

Macadonious said:
  • The car needs to be wider as the compartment is a little cramped for the legs of the driver.
  • Add more of a clear coat over the paint (6 to 9 mm thick) as the paint chips extremely easy. This will help prevent premature paint destruction
Two things: First, they don't have to widen the car in order to make more legroom for the driver necessarily. Second, my wrx's clearcoat is super-thin too and I had my hood replaced not 6 months ago, and I have about 10 bb-sized chips in it already not to mention several long, deep scratches. (freak)

they have to make a car that suits as wide of a range of people as possible. This is afterall how they make money. Joe racer boy is only a small portion of their sales. Your arguement might make some sense to us here, but to Mazda, their going to laugh at it.

the only thing you mentioned above that might have a leg to stand on is the paint issue. And even that might be restricted to some sort of environment regulations that Mazda has to follow for painting. Which is the norm these days and is the reason why most paint jobs on cars now are getting thinner and thinner.

The rest of the complaints are more for joe racer boy. And would probably cause higher fuel consumption, less ride quality, and just a bunch of stuff that the normal car buyer would be irritated by.

I do agree with one thing though. It would be nice if companies asked existing customers on their opinions of the cars, and actually considered them in future designs. I'm sure they do this to some degree, but I'd sure love to see a survey sent to me about my car, instead of my dealer.

First off... who's moza?

Second: if they increase compression, then you'll have to use higher octane gas. F--- that.

Third: I'm sure the a/f ratio is set to 14.7:1. Why would they change it?

Fourth: 1/2" too high? 1/2"?!? You're joking right? Who gives a flying f--- about a 1/2" in center of gravity? If it bothers you that much, put on some Eibachs.

goldwing2000 said:
First off... who's moza?

Second: if they increase compression, then you'll have to use higher octane gas. F--- that.

Third: I'm sure the a/f ratio is set to 14.7:1. Why would they change it?

Fourth: 1/2" too high? 1/2"?!? You're joking right? Who gives a flying f--- about a 1/2" in center of gravity? If it bothers you that much, put on some Eibachs.
goldwing2000<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_940379", true); </SCRIPT> , First off, I made a typo in spelling Mazda...smart azz :)
Second, the compresion is not 14.7:1 it is like 13:1. (As per Car & Driver January issue)
Third, the 1/2 inch deal is alot when it comes to handling, plus the fact that you have to look at the other demographics of people to buy this car. If it were 1 1/2 or 2 inch drop, no one would buy it as the ride would vibate the hell out of you.

So before ranting on someone, please get the facts. There is allot of small things that can make a big differance

Macadonious said:
goldwing2000<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_940379", true); </SCRIPT> , First off, I made a typo in spelling Mazda...smart azz :)
Second, the compresion is not 14.7:1 it is like 13:1. (As per Car & Driver January issue)
Third, the 1/2 inch deal is alot when it comes to handling, plus the fact that you have to look at the other demographics of people to buy this car. If it were 1 1/2 or 2 inch drop, no one would buy it as the ride would vibate the hell out of you.

So before ranting on someone, please get the facts. There is allot of small things that can make a big differance

I didn't say compression ratio was 14.7:1. I said air fuel ratio is 14.7:1. That's the stoichiometric mixture for optimum burn.

I DID say that if they raised compression, you would have to use a higher octane fuel.

(for the record, the compression ratio is 9.7:1 for the 2.3 and 10:1 for the 2.0)

SO... before ranting on someone, please practice reading comprehension, both on this forum and in whatever magazine you were reading.

Last edited:
first off this thread makes my head hurt from the stupidity.

secondly 6-9 mm of clearcoat? WTF? thats almost a cm of paint. hello.....(bike)

increase the fuel ratio? increase it to what? do you know what a a/f ratio is? and what is the most practical balance of safetly/ efficiency/ power?

and as someone else said, get some springs if its too high.

Macadonious said:
  • The gear ratio on the automatic transmission, is far too long, they need to be shortened.
  • The compression of the engine should be increased
  • The ECU needs to be recomputed for an increase in the air/fuel ratio
  • Lastly, the cars center of gravity is too high and needs to be brought down about a inch.
These are a few suggestions from a former Auto-X racer. I know this is a sedan, but it is a sports sedan that is targeted to the youth. I also believe if you want more of a marketing census of the people that own this particular car or any car that Mazda makes, the dealership should hand out a small one page surveys with a suggestion box (example: while they wait for there car to be serviced) of their attitude toward the car they own. This will help your marketing research to know what the consumer is looking for in a car and what type of people will buy the car. I also find this to be a very inexpensive way to do research.

Macadonious said:
plus the fact that you have to look at the other demographics of people to buy this car...

sometimes demographics are just flat out wrong. look at the ugly ass honda element: aimed for that young surfer type crowd. who's buying them? forty year olds.

yes the demographic for the 3 is aimed at the younger buyer, but the vast majority of the 3's i've seen driving around here (L.A) are driven by mid 30's to 40's who most likely don't want a sportier suspension, or a more powerful and probably less efficient engine.

i don't agree. there's going to be an aftermarket for the things you are looking for. with the success of the protege and the 3rd gen's popularity, the tuner community is finally taking a look at the mazda line. sure, it's not going to be as varied as for honda, but of all the things you listed, there's an aftermarket. the only thing you can't get is a thick paint job... i don't even think custom jobs can get 6mm of clearcoat on a car. the gear ratios... well, if you're driving an automatic, then you can't ask for much. 4 gears are doing the job of 5, so no hope there in terms of taller ratios. you can't churn butter from a lemon.

Macadonious said:
The gear ratio on the automatic transmission, is far too long, they need to be shortened.
(scratch)
Just a quick questions for this one...... why in the hell are you buying an automatic if you care for performance(confused)? You say that you have Auto-X before soooo are you just too good of a driver and decided to get the A/T to give the other guys a fair chance?

-Phil Rogers

Crzyone01 said:
(scratch)
Just a quick questions for this one...... why in the hell are you buying an automatic if you care for performance(confused)? You say that you have Auto-X before soooo are you just too good of a driver and decided to get the A/T to give the other guys a fair chance?

-Phil Rogers

You have all the right in the world to be confussed. As I am too confused why I gave in to my wife and got an automatic

I think you should add another choice to the poll:

DUMBEST POST EVER

I'd vote for that one. (hippy)

--Herb--

After the RX-8 and the MSP debacles, I personally find it pretty amusing when someone comes along and complains about the fuel mapping on the 3 :)

I'm going to have to "dissagree" with the points and I don't even own the car.

AzMz3 said:
I think you should add another choice to the poll:

DUMBEST POST EVER

I'd vote for that one. (hippy)

--Herb--
awww...c'mon man...hope you werent serious..
give Macadonious some rest

Macadonious, I'm not going to flame you beacuase you are entitled to your opinion. A word of advice from me, the Research & Development Manager at a high performance seals company, is that a good science is produced by a good question and a well stated problem. Instead of giving solutions, you may want to spell out exactly what issues you have with the car as you drive it or observe it. This is not a slam, but Mazda pays MANY high priced engineers, scientists, and consultants to give them all the solutions in the world. You would be very helpful to present them with some good observations and questions about the vehicle.

Back