Wow, I can't believe it made it!

Mike R

Contributor
Rolled over 140K today on the commute in. Not even 4 years old yet.

Replaced or changed so far:

Motor at 30K
1 front caliper at ~90K
5 sets of tires
3 sets of wheels (stock-.Rota's->stock)
3 mufflers (stock->HKS->Stock)
Motor mounts
2 rear swaybars
Struts
Hood
Rad support
Front bumper cover
2 windshields
Countless headlight bulbs
2 194 bulbs (tag and bumper marker)
3 sets of brake pads
radiator
Battery
Intake (cold air stock->Injen->Stock)
exhaust manifold (header)
Intake manifold (replaced with a vtcs removed and ported half)
Pedals
Shifter (twice, modded stock, then B&M)
Radio
Front speakers
Subwoofer

And a few others I have forgotten....

Still on the stock clutch, amazingly. The flywheel is shot though. Shudders like a mofo... Timing belt is original too.

Still doing halfway decent. Runs strong, drivers seatback needs replacing, the padding is gone and is killing my neck and back. Drives good.

You should reeally think about replacing that timing belt. Yeah, we have noninterference engines, but it would suck to get stranded with a busted timing belt.

And yeah.. my stock clutch, at 80k very spirited miles (and I learned to operate a manual transmission on this car :p ) still had a TON of meat on it.

Why'd you have to replace the radiator?

Yeah, doofus in a F250 backed over the car :( So sad.

Meh, I'll replace it when it breaks. I'm not gentle on the car at all. I'm surprised the belt hasn't broken yet and that I'm still on the original clutch.

One of these days I'll put the rear sway bar back on. I broke the AWR one off in DC on 201/295 by rt.50... The roads suck.

Wonder how many gallons of oil I've used? Hmm....Prolly around 20...

trust me I know how you feel about the mileage. I've put almost 30k in a year and half on mine. Mostly from goin on fun-run road-trips

Mike R said:
Yeah, doofus in a F250 backed over the car :( So sad.

Meh, I'll replace it when it breaks. I'm not gentle on the car at all. I'm surprised the belt hasn't broken yet and that I'm still on the original clutch.

One of these days I'll put the rear sway bar back on. I broke the AWR one off in DC on 201/295 by rt.50... The roads suck.

Wonder how many gallons of oil I've used? Hmm....Prolly around 20...

^Replace the timing belt and water pump. Why wait to get stranded just to get a few more miles out of it. That cold rainy night when it happens won't make you say - gee i am glad i waiited as you pay the tow truck guy...

Reliability FTW!(poke)

This also answerwed my question about the rear sway as well..

I just hit 160km with mine. It is 5 years old. I had some major stuff done too, but I agree with the above. Get your timing belt and water pump changed. I just had mine done and I was a bit late. It was still okay, but a chance is not worth taking, plus I get better gas mileage now.

The motor was replaced under warranty due to oil starvation at 30K. The accident was at ~90K.

The rear bar broke the horseshoe bracket and the AWR mount on the frame. The car drives and handles fine without it.

I don't pay for towing, I have AAA Plus :) And I have a spare car, of course it needs a bit or work itself. I enjoy driving the other car so much more. The amount of driving I do with the protege has destroyed my knees. I'm a gimp now, walking with a limp and getting my knee drained every couple of months.

Back