Would you buy a MAZDASPEED2?

Would you buy a MAZDASPEED2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i think an MS2 would be very cool. id also like to see the 2 door mazda2 come to America. maybe the ms2 would use the 2 door body?

i think an MS2 would be very cool. id also like to see the 2 door mazda2 come to America. maybe the ms2 would use the 2 door body?

Now that would be cool. A 3 door sub-compact with the mazdaspeed treatment. Where do i sign up!?

I just don't get on board with the Yaris, Mazda 2, Fiesta and Fit Getting a free pass to "hot hatch" status. I'm not arguing that the 2 isn't a sweet car with manageable (at worst) power-to-weight ratio. But cars in general have evolved and you can't tell me that a car that was developed 25 years after the original GTI is a hot hatch because it has similar horsepower. The 2 was made for fuel economy. A MS2 would be a hot hatch... which is really what I said in my original post.

The Mazda 2 is light and agile, but in a world where the GTIs and MS3s are putting out 200+ hp with 6-speed MTs and independent rear suspensions (and can still manage between 25 and 30 mpgs)... you really cant say "I bought a new 'hot hatch'" and have that mean a GTI OR a Mazda 2.... It just doesn't work.

Oh, I agree... in their current form, the Fit and Mazda2 don't really count as "hot", but with their size, just 150 hp should give them enough pep to qualify. Remember, a Mazda2 is about 2/3rds of the weight of a top-of-the-line "compact" (a word that seems silly to append to some of these cars, nowadays...). 200 hp in a Mazda2 will probably be too much... require some reworking of the suspension to accomodate larger tires and brakes... changes to the geometry to handle the power... it will probably drive like a mess.

150 hp, on the other hand, feels like it is well within the capabilities of the standard chassis... though they really should add rear discs and fix the brake balance first...

Great thread ..... For all of you that voted for a Speed2.... It's coming..... We are building one for One Lap of America!! It is a 2011 Mazda2 witha Speed3 drive train ( think Speed5 we did last year and making it a lot smaller lighter and ALOT faster!!! ) Feel free to check out our fan page of the build and watch as bring the little beast to life. Also be prepared for some HUGE sponsor and Driver news!!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-ZoomZoom-Nation-Speed2-project/195300050495814

I would LOVE to have a MS2, especially a 3 door hatch (humpleg)

However, I cannot wait, I'm going to buy one next week, lol. Please please Mazda, listen to the public, your customers, the ones who keep your jobs alive. WE CAN HAS MS2!?(boom06)

Great thread ..... For all of you that voted for a Speed2.... It's coming..... We are building one for One Lap of America!! It is a 2011 Mazda2 witha Speed3 drive train ( think Speed5 we did last year and making it a lot smaller lighter and ALOT faster!!! ) Feel free to check out our fan page of the build and watch as bring the little beast to life. Also be prepared for some HUGE sponsor and Driver news!!!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Team-ZoomZoom-Nation-Speed2-project/195300050495814
Will you start a thread here on Mazdas247 for progress? Not all of us have the facebook.

Also - do you have permission from Antoine to display your banner and website URL?

holey moley.

i wanna see! i dont have a facebook and never will though.

i agree on updating here. the ms5 thread just kinda went lost. i still keep it stickied for people to see.

Thanks for the heads up post, it would be most appreciated if you could create a new thread here on the forums to update the Mazdas247.com Community! (2thumbs)

Will you start a thread here on Mazdas247 for progress? Not all of us have the facebook.

Also - do you have permission from Antoine to display your banner and website URL?

Excellent point and question, Nate...Would be best if they posted a progress thread directly on the forums.

As for the banner, good question as well...If Autobarn Mazda posts an update thread on Mazdas247.com then their current non-linked sig would be fine. Let's hope they do! :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Some Shots of progress so far....

Will keep posting up pics as the come along!!!

Attachments

• sp2 11.jpg
    sp2 11.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 563
  • sp2 13.jpg
    sp2 13.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 4,444
  • sp2 10.jpg
    sp2 10.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 538
  • sp2 18.jpg
    sp2 18.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 1,118
  • SP2 17.jpg
    SP2 17.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 483
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• sp2 6.jpg
    sp2 6.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 235
  • sp2 3.jpg
    sp2 3.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 220
  • SP2 17.jpg
    SP2 17.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 212
  • sp2 1.jpg
    sp2 1.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 216
  • sp2 9.jpg
    sp2 9.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 213
I wouldn't spend ms3 prices, but I would love a modest turbo and suspension on the 2.

I already have a 2011 MZ2 I picked up in Aug of 2010 and I'd trade it in for a Mazdaspeed2 any day of the week. If Mazda is able to produce a Speed2 for under $20k, I'll be very impressed and ready to buy, trust me. Bring it on Mazda :)

i would. the short wheel base is great for the track, and i think it would be awesome if they released it with a supercharged 1.5

Absolutely! I don't know if anyone else mentioned this, but Car and Driver named the Mazda2 to its 10Best Manuals list for 2011 - mating such an excellent transmission to a more powerful turbocharged motor would make it incredibly fun to drive (and as others have said, an excellent autox'er).

A Mazdaspeed 2 would be awesome. I own a Mazda 2 right now and it is a great little car. It has quite abit of snap for a little car with only 100 hp but I'd really love a little more power and the necessary other upgrades with it. I'd want one for sure. Just keep the price descent.

Latest posts

Back