Would you buy a MAZDASPEED2?

Would you buy a MAZDASPEED2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can't wait for Speed2! The wife is changing cars this fall and I'll be driving her 2005 AWD Tribute until next year, poor MPG be damned, just waiting in case they do bring us one. I want to go small but I just can't quite bring myself to be that slow yet. Another 20-30 HP in a car that light would do it for me.

A $20K sticker price would be the deal maker for me. How could you not love the idea of a boosted motor and improved suspension/braking in a car that is already more fun to drive than it has any right to be?

Even Top Gear wants a MazdaSpeed2 to happen. Even Car Magazine.

Last edited:
Added another 2 YEARS to the poll time limit...I'm not giving up on this...Come on Mazda, don't let the enthusiasts down...Bring on the MS2!

Added another 2 YEARS to the poll time limit...I'm not giving up on this...Come on Mazda, don't let the enthusiasts down...Bring on the MS2!

I'm willing to put my support behind this cause.

I already bought a two, I don’t have the money to trade in already. I’m already doing stuff to my 2 to surpass a mazdaspeed two, I’m getting mine tuned by the same people who tune the mazdaspeed cars. They do all there tuning for mazda for the mazdaspeed series vehicles.

ive had an 08 speed3 , just traded it in on ann 11 sprrd3 tech and if mazda made a speed2 id have to look at it hard. the speed line is long and distinguished. ford just unvieled a turbo fiesta . so this type of car is coming. mazda needs to be the fastest as usual best handling sub compact. and a speed2 would a perfect platform

absolutely i'd by a speed2 without looking back. i loved both my speed3 and my ex's speed Miata, and a speed2 would be a wonderful merger of the 2

Ohhh SNAP!!!

Mazda USA tweeted the following 4 hours ago: @MazdaUSA: Rumor has it this year's @SEMASHOW will see the debut of a turbocarged variant of a certain "2"-badged FWD #Mazda vehicle

i just came here to post that. now iv just gotta cross my fingers that its an MS2 and not just an aftermarket SEMA special

When I told my wife about the tweet, she said "So we're trading in your car?" I'm excited to see what Mazda has in store for SEMA

The timing for a Mazdaspeed 2 is pretty bizarre...makes me wonder what engine they'd use. Development on the MZR is done as Mazda's switching the lineup to SkyActiv, but I don't recall seeing anything at all about a small-displacement turbo in the new engine family yet. As much as it would make people wet their pants, Mazda's not crazy enough to stuff the 2.3L DISI in the 2; my guess would be it would have something like a 1.5L tuned to push about 140HP. I sure hope that, if this is indeed a production model they're debuting, it's not going to be some half-assed bolt-on turbo like what they had Callaway do on the Mazdaspeed Protege.

The timing for a Mazdaspeed 2 is pretty bizarre...makes me wonder what engine they'd use. Development on the MZR is done as Mazda's switching the lineup to SkyActiv, but I don't recall seeing anything at all about a small-displacement turbo in the new engine family yet. As much as it would make people wet their pants, Mazda's not crazy enough to stuff the 2.3L DISI in the 2; my guess would be it would have something like a 1.5L tuned to push about 140HP. I sure hope that, if this is indeed a production model they're debuting, it's not going to be some half-assed bolt-on turbo like what they had Callaway do on the Mazdaspeed Protege.

+1 I realllyy hope Mazda produces a Mazdaspeed2 done right :)

Personally I'd love a tuned NA motor, but if you think of Mazda's past adventures with the Mazdaspeed logo being placed on their car, it's involved a turbo. I believe the tweet even said "turbocharged" somewhere within it. But who know's, this is all rumor. I will say this, there is a lot of people who will be swapping to a Speed model if it comes out....

Hyundai is developing a turbocharged 1.6 that makes 204 hp and 195 lb-ft torque. Something similar for the MS2 would be perfect!

That had quality* lol. I am curious to see what Mazda does with the aero of the ms2. It has a very high center of gravity and short wheel base. Those 2 things don't mesh all that well at high speeds. I would imagine much lower with a more aerodynamic front bumper, spoiler, and more than likely a rear difuser.

If they make it the aero goodies will be nice but not many ms2 folks are going to get it for top speed....id say it would still be limited to 120-130 just because of the short wheel base. People just want a lowered, faster 2 that looks better.

Back