Would you buy a MAZDASPEED2?

Would you buy a MAZDASPEED2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Americans already have little concept of a subcompact, Gas is cheap and big cars are plentiful(and cheap too..). I just can't see a good reason enough for mazda to bring over the 2, let alone a Mazdaspeed version of it.

The mazda 2 however, is the drivers car. In the world of subcompacts at least.
fiat 500/ 500 abarth anyone? Anyone?

Last edited:
they should make the 2 the affordable hot hatch, and make the MS3 to go after the likes of the EVO and STI with awd...

Agreed. Keep the 2 as a relatively conservative hatch and get more aggressive with the speed3's capabilities. After all, the speed3 is more of an enthusiast's car. Why not make it more competitive with others like the STI?

No disrespect, but they aren't "hot hatches." I absolutely love my Mazda 2, but I'm coming from a 2006 VW GTI (and I've driven 2 different MS3s) and you really don't get into the "hot hatch" range sub 150hp. Don't misquote me on this because I'm NOT saying that the 2 CAN'T be made into a hot hatch. Make it breath a little better, some software, suspension upgrades and a short shift kit... total hot hatch.

Also if we ever get a MS2... well let's just say I'll be waiting patiently at the dealership the day they are supposed to arrive, title in hand.

Lol. I just didn't know what to call it. Okay. sport compact?
*subcompact. Lol

Last edited:
No disrespect, but they aren't "hot hatches." I absolutely love my Mazda 2, but I'm coming from a 2006 VW GTI (and I've driven 2 different MS3s) and you really don't get into the "hot hatch" range sub 150hp. Don't misquote me on this because I'm NOT saying that the 2 CAN'T be made into a hot hatch. Make it breath a little better, some software, suspension upgrades and a short shift kit... total hot hatch.

Also if we ever get a MS2... well let's just say I'll be waiting patiently at the dealership the day they are supposed to arrive, title in hand.

The original "hot hatch", the first generation VW Golf GTi (okay, there's some debate as to which was the first, but the Golf GTi was one of the defining cars for the genre), only had about 90 horses.

It's not power that defines a "hot hatch", it's how they drive. A Mazda2 with just 150 horses should be pretty fast... within the 7 second to 60 mph range... which would comfortably make the cut in most people's books without breaking the bank.

http://octanereport.com/racing/2011/01/04/mazdaspeed-motorsports-2010-year-in-review.html

an article about mazdaspeed's year that has a nice tidbit about the potential of the 2 in the b spec racing. maybe it might take over the field like how miatas have taken over the SCCA field.

I've been thinking that since word of the Mazda2 coming to North America surfaced...For those that realize how much potential the Mazda2 really has...This is envitable and so is a MS2 version...Bring it on! (drive)

b-spec-announcement.jpg

I know this if off topic, though as it was mentioned earlier. The new "2" is all over this months issue of 'Grassroots Motorsports'. Nothing but praise for this car so far.

Mazda, please make a Mazdaspeed version! If you don't, i will.

agreed, mazda isn't the company to follow the latest trend, it sticks to its own guns. light, agile and fun. now awd fiesta clone needed.
and as said in the article, mazda is a relatively small company with not as much resources to dedicate to a mazdaspeed version of every car on the fleet. The fact that they are developing the next gen rotary engine and RX-9, and Shinari concept probably has their plate full.

Last edited:
The original "hot hatch", the first generation VW Golf GTi (okay, there's some debate as to which was the first, but the Golf GTi was one of the defining cars for the genre), only had about 90 horses.

It's not power that defines a "hot hatch", it's how they drive. A Mazda2 with just 150 horses should be pretty fast... within the 7 second to 60 mph range... which would comfortably make the cut in most people's books without breaking the bank.

I just don't get on board with the Yaris, Mazda 2, Fiesta and Fit Getting a free pass to "hot hatch" status. I'm not arguing that the 2 isn't a sweet car with manageable (at worst) power-to-weight ratio. But cars in general have evolved and you can't tell me that a car that was developed 25 years after the original GTI is a hot hatch because it has similar horsepower. The 2 was made for fuel economy. A MS2 would be a hot hatch... which is really what I said in my original post.

The Mazda 2 is light and agile, but in a world where the GTIs and MS3s are putting out 200+ hp with 6-speed MTs and independent rear suspensions (and can still manage between 25 and 30 mpgs)... you really cant say "I bought a new 'hot hatch'" and have that mean a GTI OR a Mazda 2.... It just doesn't work.

Yea since we all know how Mazda's last attempt at performance AWD went...

yeah so, what do you mean exactly?

As for the quote you quoted. Its just silly to group the MS3 with the likes of Evo and STI. They have more power and AWD. Stock for stock, or mods for mods. The MS3 loses everytime.

Is it just me or is this thread getting really whacky?

yeah so, what do you mean exactly?

As for the quote you quoted. Its just silly to group the MS3 with the likes of Evo and STI. They have more power and AWD. Stock for stock, or mods for mods. The MS3 loses everytime.

Is it just me or is this thread getting really whacky?

It's not supposed to be compared to those 2. The STi/STI and Evo are beasts. The MS3 is supposed to be compared to the WRX and whatever equivalent of that is with the Lancer.
Rofl... comparing MS3 to an STI. What a joke.

Ok, back on topic. Here's one for ya.

What would you like to see in a mazdaspeed 2. Turbo or supercharger?

I'm thinking supercharger. Good linear power and torque. Like you plopped a bigger 4 banger in it.

I rather have it turbo'd. the fact that mazda has experience with turbo production vehicles would mean a turbo'd version would be more reliable.

Good points. I think they probably would go turbo. I'm curious about packaging issues though. It seems there may be space for a twin screw super charger right on top the intake manifold.

This topic may be worthy of another thread. Shall i Start one?

Last edited:
I think that still follows this topic. It's about what we would like on a MS2 and what would encourage us to buy it. :D

Back