Would you buy a 2015 CX-9 with 175k+ miles?

I really like all the features on the 2015 CX-9 Grand Touring AWD and I can afford to buy it ($11,000). But is it insane to buy this car with that many miles? It has only had one owner and has decent service records. But is it worth it?

I really like all the features on the 2015 CX-9 Grand Touring AWD and I can afford to buy it ($11,000). But is it insane to buy this car with that many miles? It has only had one owner and has decent service records. But is it worth it?
Absolutely overpriced. Check KBB values and see trade in and private party for the condition that matches theirs the most in your opinion. That MY is before redesign and that many miles is a ton for 7 years old. If they are highway miles then that is a big factor as those are the best kind of miles..power train wise. Whatever you do, you MUST get a PPI done if you are serious about purchasing. You must also pull Carfax. That many miles may not be an issue if they are mostly highway and there are good maintenance records. You didn't mention if this is from a used car dealer or private person? Either way, price is too high

Absolutely overpriced. Check KBB values and see trade in and private party for the condition that matches theirs the most in your opinion. That MY is before redesign and that many miles is a ton for 7 years old. If they are highway miles then that is a big factor as those are the best kind of miles..power train wise. Whatever you do, you MUST get a PPI done if you are serious about purchasing. You must also pull Carfax. That many miles may not be an issue if they are mostly highway and there are good maintenance records. You didn't mention if this is from a used car dealer or private person? Either way, price is too high
Thanks for your reply.

The KBB value is $9,300-$11,300 from a dealer, so it’s within that range.

Not sure how to get a PPI done. The vehicle is located over four hours from where I live (I live in a tiny town, a long way from anywhere). Can I ask the dealer to do it?

If you can find a mobile mechanic in that area you may be able to hire them for a PPI. I would not trust the seller to do anything with regard to a PPI unless they are willing to offer a 1 year warranty, in writing.

That does sound like an insanely high price given the miles but I guess the car market is still not as rational as it once was.

Wow, that's a lot of mileage in a short time. 40k per year!

In addition to the good advice provided above, if you do get a mobile mechanic to do the PPI for you, also have them look at the condition of the interior, as well as the exterior paint. With mileage like that, I'd be worried about excessive wear on the seats, steering wheel, and any other surfaces that might be touched on a daily basis. I'd also want to be sure that all of the features and infotainment system is in good working order. Paint may also need to be looked at, specifically the front end (rock chips from possible highway travel).

Additionally, I'd do a bit more research on the 1st generation CX-9 as well, if you haven't already. The engine design can be problematic if (and that's a big IF) the water pump goes. I'm not sure if it would be a dealbreaker for you, it's just something to be aware of.

That mileage would only be fine (to me) on a 4Runner, Land Cruiser, or Tundra. Any vehicle with the same powertrain as the listed vehicles would also be fine. Toyota doesn’t change their drivetrains so they have the years to prove they are reliable. I love my Mazda, but until they keep a powertrain for 10+ years with almost no issues, I wouldn’t buy it

Agree with above poster. Unless you can get a 12 month major components warranty, I would pass. Unless you have a budget put aside for potential major repairs.

1. Buy New
2. Buy a 3 year old low mileage (under 30 k) cpo vehicle.
3. Buy a old used beater for $5000.(the best brand you can find for $5000). Use your spare cash to keep it running for 2 years or longer while you save $$ for better.

Anything else is a potential money pit.

Last edited:
That's a negative from my ghost-rider. I just bought a '15 cx-9 GT (fwd) w/ 83k miles for 16k OTD (that's with an extended warranty btw). Price is too high for that many miles even if they are highway. In addition, the AWD version of that year (and the '14) has known issues with the transfer case that can total up to about $7k to replace when it goes (when, not if). That's not to mention the same water pump issue that the v6 has as well (similar issue that Ford Explorer v6's have).

Back