Winter Tires

Zooms

:
2008 Mazda3 GT / 2013 CX-5 GS
What kinda tires are you planning to use? Blizzaks,Nokian,Michlin,etc.....? Been looking at the Continental Extreme Winter Contact or Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT.

I bought some Nokian Hakkapelitta 7 SUV studded... size 225-65-17

Pirelli Scorpion Ice&Snow 225-65-17. I also bought 17" rims from Mazda, as it came with 19" summer tires Toyo, that I immediately changed for 235/55/R19 Continental ContiCrossContact UHP

I have Nokian Hakkapellita rsi 205/50R17 left over from my old Mazda 5GT. Does anyone know if this tire size will work with my CX5 GT?

If you have the 17" or the 19" CX-5 wheels now & you use those tires from your Mazda 5GT your speedo will be off!

Thanks for the info. Guess I've got to invest in a new set of tires. I would think it would be okay with the tires on the cx5 for the first year since it's fairly new and we don't get too much snow in Vancouver.

In case you're interested, I posted something about winter tires here with my recommendations. Just look for the long post ;)

I just ordered from Tirerack.com. Got a winter package of General Altimax Arctic 225/65/17 on Sport Edition F7. I had the General Altimax Arctics on my Mazda 6 previously and they were great tires for a very reasonable price. This package was $1,012 (all inclusive) and is being shipped to my father-in-law in Pennsylvania so we can install them there. The shipping cost was much lower and no taxes are applicable. I'm hoping the fit will be fine. The specs seemed to match fine and the rims come with centering rings for the 67.1mm hub.

Last edited:
For those of you in the Lower Mainland, Open Road Mazda in Port Moody has a deal on until the 15th: 17" General Altimax Arctics, steel wheels, mounted and balanced for $1,099 + HST; I ended up paying $1,237.89 all-in.

Costco has the X-Ice 3s (a better tire IMO given the local conditions + the type of driving I expect to do) for just about the same price including installation, but I was a bit wary of going with them... For starters the CX-5 isn't in their tire matching system, and they wanted me to ask the dealership some questions re. the hub/bolt specs, TPMS requirements, etc. In the end I went with the dealership for overall peace of mind.

For those of you who end up going with a 3rd-party option and/or self-installing, I was told first-hand by the desk rep that additional TPMS sensors are NOT required on the CX-5, so don't let anyone tell you different! That being said, the TPMS alert went off the night the Generals were installed (outside temperature was 1C, approximately 20kms on the new tires). I used a pressure gauge to confirm that all tires were within spec and reset the monitor, and it hasn't gone off again since.

I haven't had an opportunity to drive them in any adverse conditions yet as it hasn't rained in the last couple of days but the driving dynamics with the winters on are definitely different!

Rollin with Blizzak WS70 225/65R17 on 17" 2010 Mazda3 S wheels. Now all I need is some snow.

What kinda tires are you planning to use? Blizzaks,Nokian,Michlin,etc.....? Been looking at the Continental Extreme Winter Contact or Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice WRT.

Just returned from the local Kal Tire. The CX-5 now sports new steel 16" wheels mounting 225/70R16 Michelin X-ice 2 Latitude tires. All in 1,314.78. I will likely see CT shortly for plastic wheel covers to ease the severity of the look.

Brian

Just returned from the local Kal Tire. The CX-5 now sports new steel 16" wheels mounting 225/70R16 Michelin X-ice 2 Latitude tires. All in 1,314.78. I will likely see CT shortly for plastic wheel covers to ease the severity of the look.

Brian

Where abouts are you? I'm in North Bay and would like to get the same deal.

Thx - AG

Ordered today from Tirerack, General Altimax Arctic on 16" steelies, going with a budget friendly winter tire set up.

Pirelli Winter Carving Edge. 225/65/17.

Had a set before on my Toyota. Not as sporty as some other models (rated up to 170 km/h) but there are no better tires in the snow. Perhaps Hakkaapeliita R but not available in Romania. However, Hakas are more expensive; better, arguably, but not by much I guess. If you live in an area where heavy snows are likely you cant go wrong with them. Studdable but I never used that. In my place we dont get as much snow as in Canada but it happens quite often. Perhaps I could do very well with something else but I prefer the confidence and peace of mind when heavy snow comes (even if that happens and last for one week). Just in case.

Back