Winter tire thread :)

So, I get the WR SUVs installed on my old 16" rims... fit was fine. I refer to this setup as my clown wheels (as the tires look sooo big, with teeny tiny wheels in the middle). Would have preferred 17's, but would have been an extra $400 for new rims and more expensive tire.

They certainly feel a little less precise than the stock RS-A's, and don't hold quite as well on dry pavement (got a bit of squeal on hard stops that the RSAs didn't make a peep on). Still, they seem to perform pretty well - very confident in the corners. Also much quieter than my worn-out RSAs (about 32k so far, not much left).

Now, bring on the rain and snow (plenty of the former coming in the next couple of days!), and I'll see how they do in the less hospitable weather.

Love to see a pic of that.

I just dropped a bunch of money into some Nokians. I really hope there's a remarkable difference since I paid over $1k for these puppies. We'll soon see. I can't imagine them being any WORSE than the stock tires - those performed sub-par when driving through snow storms in Maine & Vermont last year.

On another note - I don't know how they plan on cheating physics, but apparently they are all-season tires. The person at the tire shop said to me: "I don't know how they [Nokian] did it, but they figured-out how to formulate a compound that stays flexible in sub-zero weather, yet doesn't wear-away too fast in the warmer, dryer months..."

I guess we'll see.

So far, after about 1500km, pretty happy with the Nokians. They're a bit squirmy on the highway (although that's settled down a bit), but great in the wet. Have to wait and see about snow performance.

The manager of my tire shop has been running WRs for the past year and a half (2 winters)... still tons of tread left, and great winter performance (according to him).

Yeah - same story from the guys at Direct Tire in my neck of the woods... the manager and a couple of other guys there have been running them and rave about them - wasn't sure if it was a sales-pitch or genuine user feedback.

We'll soon see. :)

Time will tell as to how well they wear.

One thing however, I certainly wouldn't run these all-year-round. They perform well for a snow tire, but I definitely want something more precise and grippy for the summer.

Got some 17" Mazda wheels from someone on Craigslist last year and bought some 17" Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3 at the same time (End of season deal). I didn't have a chance to try them until this week. Put them on my car.

Cars were sliding out on the icy conditions here yesterday. I hit the brakes hard a few times, to try out the new tires. I couldn't even get the ABS to kick in, because the car just stopped. It was great.

Got some 17" Mazda wheels from someone on Craigslist last year and bought some 17" Bridgestone Blizzak DM-Z3 at the same time (End of season deal). I didn't have a chance to try them until this week. Put them on my car.

Cars were sliding out on the icy conditions here yesterday. I hit the brakes hard a few times, to try out the new tires. I couldn't even get the ABS to kick in, because the car just stopped. It was great.

Yeah, the Blizzak's are awesome on ice!!!

Haven't gotten any accumulation of snow yet. Will absolutely post here when I have any feedback on the Nokians.

well i got the bllizzak lm-25 4x4 today,... and there is no snow to test them, but the handling on dry pavement is pretty good.. i had to do a few turns and fast speeds.. and the tires stuck to the ground pretty good..

Another Nokian installation

We had our first significant snow in St. Louis last weekend.

On Friday, we got the first blast, and about 1 inch on the roads as we were coming home late. I was looking forward to some confident, FWD with traction control, high-clearance motoring. But after reading the comments on this site about the stock Bridgestone Turanza's I was alert and aware.

Tried a street corner at a cautious speed, and detected some front end plowing. Hmmm, not good. Then tried to stop...slid and slid. We made it into the garage aok.

The next morning, we had the first 4-5 inches down. I backed out into the driveway about 5 feet, it's inclined but not severely. My CX-7 was immobilized! Just spin...and spin. We shoveled some clear paths for each side and rocked it onto concrete so it could get back into the garage. Nice. A nearly-new SUV that's worthless in the snow, due to those crappy tires. I had the image of an elephant on roller skates. We tossed the usual 80-lb bag of cement into the trunk of our commuter Miata, and drove around Saturday night on it's Kumho Solus all-season tires...it was fine, and fun at times :).
We got the rest of our total 8" of snow that night.

So Monday, I found a site (TiresByWeb) that had Nokian Hakkapeliitta SUV's at a good price, and ordered some. Got them mid-week, they're now on in place of the Bridgestones. So far satisfied w/r/t noise (not much, considering) and ride (actually a bit more forgiving over impacts than the Bridgestones). Just need the next snowstorm to see what improvement we get in the slippery stuff.

Been driving in the snow since the 60's...and with a couple other FWD's too (a classic Fiat 128, and a Toyota Camry). It's really a shame the stock Bridgestones are so inept in the snow. I'd believe many owners will blame the vehicle, when it's those smooth-riding and quiet but snow-averse Bridgestone tires that cause the poor performance.

winter tires

triple tread is not a winter tire.

Go with the Pirelli Scorpion Ice or the Nokian

Tire Rack has best deal on Pirelli Winter tires in US

Mr. Pirelli, If you must insist on being a constant Pirelli Spammer...please contact admin to become a authorized vendor.

welll i have had a few snow storms with these bllizzak lm-25 4x4 , and i love them... they are excellent in the snow, and ice

I am VERY happy with the Nokians after this last string of storms. I had to REALLY push the car to enable either the TCS or ABS. They are not "magical" by any means... they WILL lose grip if you push 'em, but they are MUCH better than the stock tires. Great investment.

I am VERY happy with the Nokians after this last string of storms. I had to REALLY push the car to enable either the TCS or ABS. They are not "magical" by any means... they WILL lose grip if you push 'em, but they are MUCH better than the stock tires. Great investment.

Agreed... we have been dumped with 150cm of snow in the past 3 weeks and the Nokian WRs have no trouble. After the last 60cm fall, I left my inlaws spinning their wheels in the AWD Santa Fe (all-seasons) while I easily backed out of the unplowed laneway in my 2WD CX-7 on the WRs.

I would easily say hands-down the best snow tire I've ever had. On ice I would say it is "good" not "great" (on snow they are "great"). I've never had Blizzaks (which I hear are awesome on ice), but the Nokians do as well as I would expect the laws of physics to allow on ice (i.e. don't be stupid, ice is slippery!).

Absolutely no regrets on the tires, and think that I made a better choice than the Hakka SUV tire (which were $70 more per tire, and significantly less treadwear).

I've heard great things about the WR Nokians, and know of some people that have them and swear by them, and they aren't trying to sell me anything :)

Our 7 has the RSA's and have been just fine in the past 17,000 snow falls we've had this month already. Got another 6" yesterday, and it decided to freeze underneath. Got my car stuck a couple times but I got out okay (until I tried to drive up my un-plowed driveway in the 7's tire tracks and missed). The 7 only got stuck when I tried to back into our driveway and the front tires were on ice in the street, the rears on ice in the driveway. 4 wheels spinnin', car not moving.
Other than that it handled our un-plowed side streets just fine.
Yes it would have been better with some sort of snow tire though, but for an all season the RSA did better than I thought, seeing how much they SUCK on the Mazda3's.

I have the Turanza's.... On the way home on 12/28 (same snow Benfolio mentioned), I slid all the way down a hill and nearly rear ended a car... thankfully there was no one in the parking lane. The ABS was so determined to not allow the wheels to lock that I got basically no braking force at all.

Then I get to my parent's house to let their dog out. The have a driveway that is on an incline but nothing major. All 4 wheels spun and the car slid sideways trying to get up it. Then once I got up it, I stopped, put it in park and let off the brake. Once I let off the brake the car slid backwards 2-3 feet IN PARK.

But I checked into it... winter tires would cost me more than my insurance deductible... so I'll just be extra careful in the snow... usually the plows and salters are out enough that it isn't a huge deal.

But I checked into it... winter tires would cost me more than my insurance deductible... so I'll just be extra careful in the snow... usually the plows and salters are out enough that it isn't a huge deal.

And what is the cost of a life...? Your life...? Someone else's life...? I understand money is a factor - trust me. This is my FIRST time ever buying "winter" tires myself... but I learned that the investment is not about bragging-rights of traction, or being able to do wilder, faster stuff in the snow...

I had TWO close-calls in the snow last year (before I bought my CX7) that scared the bejesus out of me. I vowed I would get "better tires" for winter driving and so-far, I am 100% pleased that I made that investment.

$1,200 spent to potentially AVOID being in an accident is a far better insurance policy to me than a $300 deductible for repairs to my car, but also potentially being hospitalized, killed or injuring others.

Again... that's just me - not "looking down" on you for not getting them, just giving perspective to the reasoning that your deductible is a cheaper route.

Happy New Year.

Latest posts

Back