Winter tire thread :)

Nash04 said:
You have sold me but can we order them on the web, the closest dealer is 40 miles down the road.

Thanks(peep)

Kaltire has the exclusive rights in Canada, I'm not sure about the US.

[ cross-post from other thread ]

I think mine are the Bridgestone and I encountered my first winter "storm" this past weekend driving up to Burke VT (almost Canada). At a rest area, I decided to do some random braking and accelleration and I must say it was difficult to keep the vehicle under predictable control.

I have owned 2 other AWD vehicles in the past, so I had a rough idea of what I should expect... but it didn't perform as anticipated and I'd like to think it's the tires, not the vehicle (although I do not know for sure).

I wonder if getting the Nokian snow-tires would improve the vehicle's stability and control much... or if it would just be marginal. (?)

I may cross-post this in the snow tires thread.

The difference is huge. Changes the whole vehicle. You have to keep in mind the the RSA's and the Turanza's are some of the crappiest all-season tire on the market when it comes to winter performance. The best part about the Nokians is if you get the all-weather ones they ARE all-season. so you don't need two sets of tires. The Nokian WR's perform admirably in ALL weather conditions wet, dry, and snow.

Mazda3 said:
The difference is huge. Changes the whole vehicle. You have to keep in mind the the RSA's and the Turanza's are some of the crappiest all-season tire on the market when it comes to winter performance. The best part about the Nokians is if you get the all-weather ones they ARE all-season. so you don't need two sets of tires. The Nokian WR's perform admirably in ALL weather conditions wet, dry, and snow.

Was involve in the same snow storm this weekend and have the Nokian tires and they were great in the snow, great traction!! Worth the money

OEM Wheels for Winter Tires

Y'all might want to keep an eye on the CX-7 OEM Rims that are selling occasionally on ebay... sometimes with OEM tires, sometimes just the rims. Either way, this is a great way to do a set of winter wheels. Somebody just got a set of OEM rims with nearly new Bridgestones for $100. Well, I paid $600 for mine and I thought I was getting a great deal. I got a set of Dunlop winter tires for $100 to put on them, so I can't complain.

The only cautionary note... most of these wheels aren't coming with the tire pressure monitors. I guess people are swapping these out for aftermarket rims and keeping the TPMs on new rims. My installer told me that sensors would cost $80 per wheel, plus re-do on the labor, but discouraged me from bothering, as only the newest cars get TPMS anyway. The Tire pressure light is going to be on through the winter for me; maybe I'll get some of those pressure-monitoring valve-stem-caps instead.

https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

According to Nokian's website, they have 2 versions of the WR series tire: WR Plus (passenger) and WR SUV Plus. The WR Plus are H rated whereas the WR SUV Plus are V rated. Just wanted to confirm which model you actually bought as I think you did mention V rating in an earlier post. Also, I am wondering how they are in warm weather conditions in terms of handling and road noise (I, like you, don't want the hassle of swapping tires twice a year).

I know I'm going to have to replace the Bridgestone's before this winter so I'm starting my research now. The tread patterns are very similar though the SUV version looks at though it might have a little more bite when it comes to winter driving conditions, however there is a considerable price difference between the two: SUV's are $50-$60 dollars more per tire over the "passenger" version WR, yikes!

I can't vouch for the Fortera Triple Treds, but I've used the Assurance TripleTreds (passenger car version) on two cars and they perform outstanding in all weather.

According to Nokian's website, they have 2 versions of the WR series tire: WR Plus (passenger) and WR SUV Plus. The WR Plus are H rated whereas the WR SUV Plus are V rated. Just wanted to confirm which model you actually bought as I think you did mention V rating in an earlier post. Also, I am wondering how they are in warm weather conditions in terms of handling and road noise (I, like you, don't want the hassle of swapping tires twice a year).

I know I'm going to have to replace the Bridgestone's before this winter so I'm starting my research now. The tread patterns are very similar though the SUV version looks at though it might have a little more bite when it comes to winter driving conditions, however there is a considerable price difference between the two: SUV's are $50-$60 dollars more per tire over the "passenger" version WR, yikes!

More than likely the SUV version just has a higher load rating. As long as the passenger version matches the OE specs for load rating, it should be fine.

I have the V rated WR SUV tires. The dry warm weather handling is about the same as the Goodyear RSA's that came on the vehicle. As I stated before the winter performance is as good as any snow tire except maybe the top 3. The top 3 winter tires would have slightly more grip on glare ice, but not much. The most amazing thing these tires do is handle in the rain. The way these things cut through water in a downpour is UNBELIEVABLE. I have never driven a tire that is even in the same league as these in the rain.

I also have the WR's on our Mazda 3. Those are V-rated too by the way. The passenger car version speed rating depends on the size. I would give pretty much the identical review for them on the 3.

I do know a couple people with the Goodyear Triple treads as well. They seem to be satisfied with the tire. Its the same idea as the WR, I don't know which would be better. I picked the Nokian because I have connections to get good deals on them and I have used their winter tires before and trust the Nokians.

Hope this helps.

I have the V rated WR SUV tires. The dry warm weather handling is about the same as the Goodyear RSA's that came on the vehicle. As I stated before the winter performance is as good as any snow tire except maybe the top 3. The top 3 winter tires would have slightly more grip on glare ice, but not much. The most amazing thing these tires do is handle in the rain. The way these things cut through water in a downpour is UNBELIEVABLE. I have never driven a tire that is even in the same league as these in the rain.

I also have the WR's on our Mazda 3. Those are V-rated too by the way. The passenger car version speed rating depends on the size. I would give pretty much the identical review for them on the 3.

I do know a couple people with the Goodyear Triple treads as well. They seem to be satisfied with the tire. Its the same idea as the WR, I don't know which would be better. I picked the Nokian because I have connections to get good deals on them and I have used their winter tires before and trust the Nokians.

Hope this helps.

Mazda3, how are the Nokian's in summer driving conditions? How has the wear been? I too will be replacing the stock Bridgestones with something else in a couple of weeks or so. I have heard good things about the Nokian's. Could you post pics of yours?

Thanks!(flash)

Mazda3, how are the Nokian's in summer driving conditions? How has the wear been? I too will be replacing the stock Bridgestones with something else in a couple of weeks or so. I have heard good things about the Nokian's. Could you post pics of yours?

Thanks!(flash)

Dry weather handling is about the same as the factory tire. I have had them for about 11 months now and there is no noticable wear at all. I have my doubts that they will last to 100km's, but the wear seems good so far.

How about 16"

Anyone tried 16" snows on their CX-7?

I have a set of 16's (from my previous car) sitting in the garage... tried to fit them, and they "just" clear the calipers. How much clearance is required? My local dealer said that Mazda doesn't recommend anything less than 17" (because the taller sidewall can compromise the handling, he said).

However, Tirerack, and others offer 16" packages. So, before I drop $500+ on some decent snows, does anyone know if I can use the rims, or should I shell out for 17's and new rims?

Yes the taller side wall will compromise handling and make it easier to roll over but if it fits, it fits. Just don't drive like an idiot and you should be fine.

Dry weather handling is about the same as the factory tire. I have had them for about 11 months now and there is no noticable wear at all. I have my doubts that they will last to 100km's, but the wear seems good so far.

I'm considering the Nokians.... How many km's have you put on your WR's in the past year? How aggressive would you consider your driving style?

I would consider my driving fairly aggressive, and my RSA's are almost dead after 32,000kms. I'm hoping to do better...

I'm just in the debate between going with the WR's for year-round, or Hakkas on dedicated rims (I have a set of 16" rims collecting dust in the garage) with new summer tires next year (maybe ResponseEdge or Advan ST).
Our winters in Ottawa are not *that* bad most of the time, but when we get the snow and ice, you need a decent snow/ice tire. Not sure that I really need the Hakka's, but my worry with the WRs is that after a couple of summers, the winter performance will be no good.

(canada)

I had the Nokian SUV WR's installed a few weeks ago. I went with these after reading some reviews on some tire websites. I was not going to go another winter with the Bridgestones. I too was worried about the wear question, however after discussing it with the Kal Tire representative, and getting the 80,000km wear warranty, I am no longer worried.

By the way, I too am an aggressive driver and see no difference between the Nokians and the Bridgestones.

I'm considering the Nokians.... How many km's have you put on your WR's in the past year? How aggressive would you consider your driving style?

I would consider my driving fairly aggressive, and my RSA's are almost dead after 32,000kms. I'm hoping to do better...

I'm just in the debate between going with the WR's for year-round, or Hakkas on dedicated rims (I have a set of 16" rims collecting dust in the garage) with new summer tires next year (maybe ResponseEdge or Advan ST).
Our winters in Ottawa are not *that* bad most of the time, but when we get the snow and ice, you need a decent snow/ice tire. Not sure that I really need the Hakka's, but my worry with the WRs is that after a couple of summers, the winter performance will be no good.

(canada)

I drive fairly aggressive. I put my foot into it quite often and there are a couple corners on my daily travels that I like to take with out slowing down :)

My RSA's were half worn out at 10K. The WR's have 14K on them so far and look like new. So far they are everything I hoped they would be. The Haka winters are awesome I had some on my Mazda 6, I wanted to give the WR's a try this time and avoid the hassle of swaping tires at least twice a year.

Winter tires

Hi,

In Quebec, Canada, we made snow :)

For many years, I use TOYO tires (I can drive 4 or 5 winter with these tires)
I'm just buy Toyo Open Country G02 + for my CX7. (for this winter)
And I have Toyo Proxes 4 for summer (20 inches naturally).

http://www.toyocanada.com/products/OPATG02plus.asp (10)

They have 235/60R18 size.

Good traction in snow, good responce in mud, good in wet surface, and less expensive then Nokian...

Hi,

In Quebec, Canada, we made snow :)

For many years, I use TOYO tires (I can drive 4 or 5 winter with these tires)
I'm just buy Toyo Open Country G02 + for my CX7. (for this winter)
And I have Toyo Proxes 4 for summer (20 inches naturally).

http://www.toyocanada.com/products/OPATG02plus.asp (10)

They have 235/60R18 size.

Good traction in snow, good responce in mud, good in wet surface, and less expensive then Nokian...

Yeah, Toyo makes a decent tire. Not as good as the Nokians, but they are a cheaper alternative.

I drive fairly aggressive. I put my foot into it quite often and there are a couple corners on my daily travels that I like to take with out slowing down :)

My RSA's were half worn out at 10K. The WR's have 14K on them so far and look like new. So far they are everything I hoped they would be. The Haka winters are awesome I had some on my Mazda 6, I wanted to give the WR's a try this time and avoid the hassle of swaping tires at least twice a year.

So, I get the WR SUVs installed on my old 16" rims... fit was fine. I refer to this setup as my clown wheels (as the tires look sooo big, with teeny tiny wheels in the middle). Would have preferred 17's, but would have been an extra $400 for new rims and more expensive tire.

They certainly feel a little less precise than the stock RS-A's, and don't hold quite as well on dry pavement (got a bit of squeal on hard stops that the RSAs didn't make a peep on). Still, they seem to perform pretty well - very confident in the corners. Also much quieter than my worn-out RSAs (about 32k so far, not much left).

Now, bring on the rain and snow (plenty of the former coming in the next couple of days!), and I'll see how they do in the less hospitable weather.

I have the WR's on the factory rims. In the same 18" size the handling is good. It's just the tall sidewall on yours that's taking some to the handling characteristics away. Also the mine are V-rated, the size you have might only be H-rated, but you will love them when the snow comes!! :)

Back