Winter project/upcoming mods

Thanks. So I ordered one and asked for raw finish, then later was on 8club and saw the thread where he said they only had blue. Such is life. Wonder if he will bother sending me a message or just send me the brace?

Here are some pics from the RR clutch pedal brace install yesterday. I may write a DIY since their directions are very minimal. This took a lot longer than it should have because there was a fair amount of trial and error due to the minimal directions.

First a pic of all the pieces before the work began.
attachment.php

Now a few of the finished product.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Edit: Updated first post with lots of info.

You have a few pieces incorrectly installed on there. Should function just fine but here is a pic to reference I keep forgetting to do color prints as I think this will help night and day.

You would be the first the really complain about the instructions being inadequate but myself I could see why. I have installed tons of these and is second nature to me.

I would like to see a write up because sometimes a different viewpoint will make things easier for someone else that understands differently. Myself I need to actually do it myself to understand it. Reading instructions is not at the top of my list when doing something complex.

ClutchPedalKit_Instructions-3-1.jpg

You have a few pieces incorrectly installed on there. Should function just fine but here is a pic to reference I keep forgetting to do color prints as I think this will help night and day.

You would be the first the really complain about the instructions being inadequate but myself I could see why. I have installed tons of these and is second nature to me.

I would like to see a write up because sometimes a different viewpoint will make things easier for someone else that understands differently. Myself I need to actually do it myself to understand it. Reading instructions is not at the top of my list when doing something complex.

The directions were not "inadequate", just a little hard to understand. I am also someone who needs to learn by doing. I am very happy with the result. I think I may have posted earlier that I wouldn't do it again if I were starting over. After driving for a while and letting the install memories fade a bit (what a PITA getting into the tight space that is the drivers side footwell of an 8 and I am not a small guy) I would reverse that and do this in a heartbeat. Great solid feel and feeling of security knowing that my clutch pedal assembly is not going to break.

I should have noted that I installed it a bit different from the directions (I knew I was putting that long strait piece on the inside vice outside of the assembly when I did it). Perhaps my OEM Clutch Pedal Assembly was warped or misshapen in some way, but when I had that long strait piece installed as directed, and show in the pics you posted, it would not line up with the angled piece that connects to the outside of the base. When I put it the way I show in my pics it fit perfectly, so I bolted it together that way. Should be structurally the same unless I am missing something. I also reversed the direction of one of the bolts I can see. Not sure why, must have made sense to me at the time. Again I remember deviating from the instructions, but I don't remember why I did.

Oh, and color prints might help. Not sure the problems I encountered with the directions are anything you can fix (seems like they were on my end, but no worries).

Like you said structurally it should be fine.

I am a big guy too 6' 4'' so I feel your pains I am not a big fan of getting under there... Installing it on the assembly no problem that tiny space was not made for bigger people like us..lol

Did a Sea Foam treatment to the car today. Judging from the amount of smoke that came out it was pretty dirty on the inside. Smoked out the whole neighborhood. Thankfully I have mellow neighbors.

Also went to the Dragstrip with some friends yesterday. Decided to take a few runs. Best time was 15.5XX @ 91mph, so I guess John Force's job is safe for now. It was a good time. First time for me, and I had a blast.

RB Gauge Pod is in finally!

It took a few hours yesterday and many trips to the auto parts store, but the gauge pod is finally in. A few pics for those that want to see what it looks like.

White Backlighting (for daytime)
attachment.php

Amber Backlight (matches the dash pretty well, turns on when the lights are on.)
attachment.php

I am really happy with the way it turned out. I owe the guys over at PG a big thanks for lending a helping hand. Definitely recommend this to anyone who is interested. My only regret is that I have nav so I couldn't use the other mounting solution that puts the gauges on top of the dash.

Attachments

• RB Gauge Pod White.jpg
    RB Gauge Pod White.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 424
  • RB Gauge Pod Amber.jpg
    RB Gauge Pod Amber.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 450
Since I am on a roll, I put these on today after work.
Right Side
attachment.php

attachment.php

Left Side
attachment.php

attachment.php

Not sure about the polished look. I might want to get them painted/powdercoated black in the future. I picked them up from another local 8 owner for $20 at the EvolvChicago Spring Fling Cruise. Now I really need some clear side markers.

Last edited:
Get the color matched ones, I bought a set for the wife's Sunlight Silver and they look great.

How did you like the car after installing your AP? I have one for my Speed6, just trying to decide if the gains are justified for the wife's car.

Not sure about the strakes just yet. For $20 I can be too picky, I might get them powder coated black when/if I do the same to the rims????

The AP is more for safety and beating emissions than for performance. I would say the performance gains are marginal at best. I remember think the car was pulling a bit harder through the mid range RPM's when I first got it, but that is most likely the placebo effect. The main advantage is being able to do things like increase the OMP oil injection and drop the fan turn on temp. I also have all the CEL's associated with the cat turned off, so passing emissions here in IL (just a OBDII test) was a breeze. I have no cat, no CEL's and all the readiness monitors are set so I just went in and got my certificate. There are other ways to get some of the same benefits, but the cat CEL's are what pushed me to go this route. There really is no other way around that issue. Since you are talking about your wife’s car I doubt you are going to be deleting the cat (its loud as you know what), so I would say its not worth it unless you get a really good deal on one that is used. the AP for the 8 recently dropped in price so you should be able to find one for somewhere around 300 shipped. Just understand that you will not see the dramatic difference that you do on the MS6 when you install it on the 8.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input on the AP. That was pretty much what I had figured from reading postings but it's always nice to get confirmation. I will probably look into getting her one eventually. I just bought her a used RB REVi intake, will mate up with the RB duct I already have installed. I'm going to have to post my own thread when I get home, I have so much waiting to go on her car!

If you were 10 or 12 hours closer I would drop by to give you a hand. Post up another mod thread for sure.

Only problem is I get going on working and I won't stop to take pictures. As we all know, threads are worthless with pics so I'd just be opening myself up for abuse! If I do anything out of the ordinary or figure out an easier way to skin a cat, then I'll post up.

I'm generally the same way. Sometime I will get a before and after pic, but that is about all.

Well after being offered a deal I couldn't refuse, I didn't. So now an AP will be added to one of my piles waiting at home.

1 Year Update:

Well, Its winter again, so I will be piling up the parts for an early spring install. Not much left that I want to do at this point. I am thinking of doing the following;

Brake Rotors F/R
Front Pads (I already have another set of Axxis ULT's, and I think the rear pads are still good)
Finally getting a dedicated summer Wheel/Tire comb. Currently leaning toward some gold RPF1 17X9 with Star Specs/RE-11/RS3
RSB, I will most likely get the Progress Tech

Other than that I will be continuing the work on my wifes MS6. So far I have installed a PG SRI, Cobb TIP, ITV-22 step colder plugs, SLS Test Pipe and a borrowed (while a buddies car is in the shop) AP that I will buy from him and keep since I think he wants to get rid of it. For her car I am looking at the following;

ETS Top Mount
F/R Sways
Res delete (maybe?)
.....and in the distant future maybe a reworked K04 of 2871, who knows. Actually I am just waiting for her to blow it up so I can build the motor with a little help from the gang @ PG. If you have ever seen her drive you will know why this is in the cards.

So anyone else working on a winter project? Post up a thread if you are. As always if you have question/suggestions abot what I have here.....post 'em up.

For the sways on the MS6, I wouldn't bother with the front. You can only go 1mm bigger anyway, and the gains don't justify the PITA (unless you are getting a matched set, such as the AutoEXE). I installed a Whiteline adjustable for my rear, it was also a PITA but I did it in conjunction with the rear diff mount so two birds with one stone. That alone settled the rear right down.

I have an ETS 3.25 TMIC, it's a nice piece with noticeable gains. With an AP you will be able to take full advantage of it. You will notice a much bigger difference with the AP on the MS6 over the RX-8. Like an eye-opening difference. Hope your wife doesn't have a heavy right foot!

I should have added the rear diff mount. Thats in the plans as well, thanks for reminding me. RSB only it is then, I'll have to look into the Whiteline RSB. Correct me if I am wrong, JBarone just started making a RSB for the MS6? If so I may go that route. I would like to support companies coming out with new products for my cars if I can. Any little bit of encouragement to the manufacturers helps and I want people to keep developing products for this car. Thanks for the heads up, its comments like yours that make these forums worth the time and effort!

I am also thinking about adding an OCC to both of the cars at some point.

My wifes right foot is pretty heavy. She didn't want me to "touch" her car until she got smoked by someone, then all of a sudden it was "well, I don't want to know what you do, or how much it costs, just make my car faster", LOL. I upgraded the brake pads first as is my habit, then did the mods in the sig while she was away on vacation. She wont admit it, but she loves the difference. I will ahave to get her out to Laidies Night at the local Dragstrip as many times as possible this spring-summer-fall. That is why the rear diff mount is in the plans. I am sort of afraid to explain how the LC and FFS work. She will be hooked when she is not afraid of them.

Back