Pretty bad case of vibration and humming noise (2022 CX-9)

$1,038 and a set of four new Pirellis later…. Things got worse. Like… much worse! Vibration now starts at 50mph and gets progressively worse, to the point where I don’t feel safe driving it above 75mph. Humming noise got louder. Should’ve just kept Michelins…. the vehicle was at least drivable. The only positive thing I guess is that the dealer won’t be able to tell me with a straight face that everything is fine. Have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. My hope is Discount Tire just did a horrible job balancing the new tires. If not….. I don’t know what to do.

$1,038 and a set of four new Pirellis later…. Things got worse. Like… much worse! Vibration now starts at 50mph and gets progressively worse, to the point where I don’t feel safe driving it above 75mph. Humming noise got louder. Should’ve just kept Michelins…. the vehicle was at least drivable. The only positive thing I guess is that the dealer won’t be able to tell me with a straight face that everything is fine. Have an appointment with the dealer tomorrow. My hope is Discount Tire just did a horrible job balancing the new tires. If not….. I don’t know what to do.
If that is the case then you would take it to a different tire shop.

No way are those new tires the issue. That place either has out of calibration equipment or has no idea how to properly use it WITH roadforce to check runout of the rims themselves as well as positioning the tires properly with high or low spot aligned with the valve stem. The roadforce machine doesn't automatically use roadforce it to balance and can be used as a regular balance machine without the extra steps. They do this because it takes much less time to balance. How much weight was used? Where did they place the weights? Also check each tire air pressure and adjust to 35 psi and make sure the correct side of the tire was mounted outward. There is an inner and outer side. Go to a different place.

Does your steering wheel shimmy just driving at speed without stepping on the brake? Do you feel vibration in the seat of your pants?

Last edited:
Could be a bent wheel or hub and balancing shop not picking up on it...maybe the wheel that needed the new tire...

Could be a bent wheel or hub and balancing shop not picking up on it...maybe the wheel that needed the new tire...
Was thinking about it myself. But Discount Tire was able to eventually balance the Michelins to an acceptable level - it took them 3 times though, and the store manager himself had to do it. The weird thing about it - the new Michelins came out of balance immediately after they installed it (kinda like these Pirellis, it seems). Store manager couldn’t believe it - the weighs and everything were there but both new tires were COMPLETELY out of balance, like they haven’t been balance at all (which they were, of course!); he then had to balance it absolutely perfectly on the Roadforce Elite to get it to be drivable… But he did manage to do it - reduced it to a point where vibration was only left at 70-75mph. I drove it for about 4-5 days… then decided to go with the new set of Pirellis, and here we go again…. We’ll see what the dealer says…

I did go through a bunch of threads on this topic here, and found one where the problem was found to be the rear CV shafts. The guy somehow was able to talk the dealer into replacing them (no idea how he did it; it’s hard to know that they are bad, no obvious symptoms…besides vibration I guess), I doubt I’ll be able to get my dealer to even look at it, they’ll probably blame it on tires again. The thing is - based on what I’ve read so far I believe I’m still covered under the Lemon Law (in Texas) since it’s gonna be the forth time I’ll be taking it to the dealer for the same issue, and it’s less than 24mo from the vehicle delivery date to the original owner (and it doesn’t matter that I’m the second owner). The replacement, however, is out of question (obviously) - repair is the only remedy available for a used vehicle…

Had the new Pirellis roadforce-rebalanced at a different Discount Tire shop this morning. Vibration is almost gone! What’s left is slight vibration that I firmly believe is associated with the humming noise. It can only be left on the accelerator pedal and is best felt when just cruising (rather than accelerating). Also, the nature of the humming noise changed a bit - it now resonates throughout the entire cabin at certain speeds (usually 70+). Also, bad road surface amplifies it greatly. The vehicle is drivable though, took it to 95mph this morning and it felt relatively stable with just minimum shimmy that, again, is dependent on road surface. Could barely feel it on a perfect expressway road at 80-90mph, but could feel it a lot when I hit a stretch with a bad surface going around 70-75. It is also noticeable at much lower speeds (even 20-40mph) if the road surface is bad.

Now, on to the tires in case anyone is interested about the comparison between Michelin Defender LTX and Pirelli Scorpion AS Plus 3. Pirellis are definitely quieter, handle better and are more stable at high speeds. Overall, it’s a better and more suitable tire for CX-9 (imho). Michelins are loud, don’t handle very well and I could even feel them wandering on highway a little bit. They are, however, a tad more comfortable than Pirellis, and do seem to offer better rolling resistance as I noticed my mpg dropped by about 1mpg when I installed Pirellis (pretty small sample size though, only drove about 50 miles on Pirellis).

Now on to the humming noise - dealer tech drove it this morning after I had the tires rebalanced. Since Pirellis are quiter, he could now finally hear the humming noise and acknowledged it didn’t sound like tires. They want me to leave the car with them for 2-3 days next week, which I will do on Tue-Thur.

Last edited:
Ahhh. That is good. Same balancer for all 4 as well? Those 2 tire choices are top notch. You cant go wrong with either one and they both have rim guards built in. I have those goodyear on my 9 and those pirellis on my wife's 5 after doing extensive research. The comfortdrive do have a stiffer sidewall and load capacity which in turn, provides much better handling and cornering like the car is on rails. Ride is smooth, quiet and tread is wearing well. Only had on for 12k miles but they feel secure with great traction. You will feel the road bumps, expansion joints and imperfections just a bit more but the feel is connected and a trade off for sharper handling/less body roll. The lower unsprung weight of the tire also means quicker acceleration as the rotational mass of the wheel and tire can be propelled as if you had a couple extra horsepower from the engine to the wheels.

The pirellis have only been on for a couple thousand miles on the 5 and they are awesome as well but not as stiff as the Goodyear, although they are on a lighter car but ride is smooth and quiet as well with surefooted traction. If anyone here has a 9 with the 20" wheels wearing the pirellis they may want to chime in. Hope that helps!
I have a 2020 CX9 Sig with the 20" wheels and replaced the original Falkens at 30k with the Pirellis. Have about 4k on them now and very satisfied. Great choice. Contrary to many reviews, the Falkens were good but got a bad flat in one so had to replace. Hope your problem gets resolved. Keep us posted.

I’m starting to think my AWD is not functioning properly… On my evening commute today (10 miles, highway), I’ve got 31.6mpg (!). I did drive like a grandma (around 55-60mph, barely touching gas pedal), but this can’t be right…. My previous CX-9 was averaging 20-21mpg and the best I’ve seen was 25-26mpg… The best I’ve previously seen from this particular vehicle was 27.5mpg. So… over 30mpg on a mid-size AWD SUV is just not possible… is it?

It is possible. The 2022 and up AWD was revised to be 100% FWD in a level, straight cruise situation.

So sometime you can pick up a set of used tired that do match. I got it for $180. Decent life on it. I had to do this due to a balance issue. It was a older one so didn't want to purchase a new set. But I can confirm having one off size do mess with everything. 2022 is very new, but going to dealer for a fix. They would blame it on mismatch tires too

Dealer tech (and service manager) did an extended test drive and inspection and admitted they could hear “slight humming” noise. They have no idea where it’s coming from and they inspected everything - shocks, suspension, engine mounts, AWD, TCM, and everything is working properly with no leaks, cracks, excessive play, damage, or fault codes. Told me there’s nothing to fix at this time, they’ll have to wait until the noise gets worse….

New symptom appeared recently - the vehicle now pulls to the left under acceleration. Not pulling when just cruising. Alignment is perfect, checked it twice. Dealer is continuing to bs me - saying it’s due to torque steer…. on an AWD vehicle… that didn’t have this problem before. Yeah, right… Humming noise got a bit worse, and slight vibration is back, but only can feel it around 55-60mph. Any advice would be appreciated… Try another dealer? Try opening a case with corporate? At this point it’s obvious something is wrong with either suspension or the drivetrain…

It is well known that the CX-9 has torque steer, even though it is AWD, the AWD doesn’t react fast enough to fully prevent it. That only happens under hard acceleration though, if it pulls left under light acceleration then that is not normal.

It is well known that the CX-9 has torque steer, even though it is AWD, the AWD doesn’t react fast enough to fully prevent it. That only happens under hard acceleration though, if it pulls left under light acceleration then that is not normal.
Yeah, in my case this happens under normal/light acceleration, did not happen before.

Was it balance or something else that caused the tire vibration? Did the guy have to reposition the tire on the wheel?

Good luck. Let us know what finally works.

Alright… after 3 bottles of beer and a 20-min conversation with ChatGPT I was able to narrow it down to suspension components. AI advises that it’s most likely either bad control arms bushings, struts, or wheel bearings. It thinks it’s less likely to be drivetrain components because humming noise is still present when coasting in neutral gear (I.e. with drivetrain disengaged). Below are some of the quotes, let me know if you guys disagree… I have an appointment with (a different) dealer on Wed to try to get to the bottom of this.

“…worn-out struts or control arm bushings can indeed cause intermittent vibrations, especially at certain speeds and depending on the road surface. When these components are worn, they may not provide sufficient damping or cushioning, leading to vibrations being transmitted more directly to the vehicle's body.

The vibrations can be exacerbated by variations in the road surface, as irregularities in the road can amplify the effects of worn suspension components. Additionally, worn bushings can allow for more movement and play in the suspension system, leading to vibrations as the vehicle encounters bumps or imperfections in the road.

There are usually several bushings in a control arm assembly, depending on the design of the suspension system. Common locations for bushings in control arms include where the arm attaches to the frame or subframe and where it connects to the steering knuckle or hub assembly. If these bushings wear out or deteriorate, it can affect the stability and performance of the suspension, potentially leading to issues like pulling to one side under acceleration.

In addition to the struts and control arm bushings, there are a few other components that could contribute to the symptoms you're experiencing:

1. **Tie Rod Ends:** Worn tie rod ends can cause steering instability and contribute to pulling to one side. They connect the steering rack to the steering knuckles and are essential for proper steering alignment.

2. **Wheel Bearings:** Worn or damaged wheel bearings can cause vibrations, especially at higher speeds. They support the weight of the vehicle and allow the wheels to rotate smoothly.

3. **Tires:** Uneven tire wear or tire imbalance can also lead to pulling to one side or vibrations. Ensure that your tires are properly inflated and balanced, and check for any signs of uneven wear. Note: exluded since tires are new.

4. **Brakes:** Issues with the brakes, such as uneven brake pad wear, stuck calipers, or warped brake rotors, can also cause vibrations or pulling to one side, especially during braking. Note: I excluded this one since not experiencing the symptoms while braking.

5. **Suspension Linkages:** Other suspension linkages, such as sway bar links or control arm ball joints, can also contribute to handling issues if worn or damaged.

Damage or wear to components like wheel bearings, tires, and suspension linkages can indeed be accompanied by a humming noise, especially if it's dependent on the road surface. Here's how each component could contribute to such a noise:

1. **Wheel Bearings:** Worn or damaged wheel bearings often produce a humming or growling noise that increases with vehicle speed. The noise may change in intensity or pitch depending on the road surface.

2. **Tires:** Uneven tire wear, tire cupping, or tire imbalance can also lead to humming noises, particularly if the tires are worn unevenly or if there are issues with tire balance. The noise may become more pronounced on certain road surfaces.

3. **Suspension Linkages:** Damage or wear to suspension linkages, such as sway bar links or control arm ball joints, can cause clunking or knocking noises over bumps, but they may also contribute to a humming noise if there's excessive movement or play in the suspension components.

Struts and control arm bushings are less likely to directly cause a humming noise, but they can indirectly contribute to it if they lead to other issues like uneven tire wear or vibration. Here's how:

1. **Struts:** While worn-out struts typically produce knocking or clunking noises over bumps, severe wear could potentially cause excessive movement in the suspension system, leading to uneven tire wear or vibration that manifests as a humming noise.

2. **Control Arm Bushings:** Similarly, worn control arm bushings can allow for more movement and play in the suspension, which could contribute to uneven tire wear or vibration, potentially resulting in a humming noise.

In these cases, the humming noise would likely be a secondary symptom of the underlying suspension issues rather than directly caused by the struts or control arm bushings themselves.

If the humming noise persists when coasting in neutral gear with the drivetrain disengaged, it's more likely indicative of a suspension or wheel-related issue rather than a drivetrain problem. In this case, the noise is not directly related to the operation of the drivetrain components.

Given this information, it's more probable that the source of the humming noise is related to components such as wheel bearings, tires, or suspension bushings. These components can produce humming noises, especially at higher speeds or when the vehicle is coasting, due to factors such as uneven wear, damage, or insufficient lubrication.

TL/DR: AI says it’s most likely struts, wheel bearings, or suspension linkages / bushings.

Last edited:
2018 Cx9 GT on 20s. Not sure if I'm mistaking causation with correlation but i had the same problem running on Goodyears and the dealership rotated the tires weird, left to right off by about 1.5mm depth. Matching them after, front 2 the same, back 2 the same, seemed to fix most of the problem for about 4 months. Changing all 4 to Continentals tomorrow will post back if it fixes the issue

Back