Winter is here and my CX-5 turbo is now a 2.0L!

And since I might be looking into a turbo CX-5 in the future, I am hoping this gets resolved soon. I don't think it will stop me from buying one, but I would feel better if this was resolved.

Before winter is gone, go test drive one when the temps are above the magic 20° mark, then go back when it's colder. Obviously, the closer together those test drives are the better (for comparison purposes).

This has not affected me because winters are not that cold here in central Virginia. Plus I'm retired, so am not likely to be driving those rare early mornings when the temps do get that cold. I'll make an effort to get out and see this for myself, but I'll have to go out of my way to be driving under those conditions.

However, it makes no sense to me that a number of users in this thread are complaining about the same problem, especially since they own turbo CX-5s. So there is something going on. And since I might be looking into a turbo CX-5 in the future, I am hoping this gets resolved soon. I don't think it will stop me from buying one, but I would feel better if this was resolved.
I don’t believe it’s an issue for most owners and as of now there just isn’t much info out there as to a problem and solution. Most of the people here commenting on the subject, including myself, haven’t experienced the symptoms so I think any judgement is premature.

I don’t believe it’s an issue for most owners and as of now there just isn’t much info out there as to a problem and solution. Most of the people here commenting on the subject, including myself, haven’t experienced the symptoms so I think any judgement is premature.
I’ve said his before but most owners wouldn’t notice because their not as in tune with their vehicle as others.

Those here that have said theirs isn’t affected haven’t put it on the clock to actually provide a real data point.

If you don't drive in lower temperatures you'll not experience it.
If you don't aggressively accelerate in lower temperatures you'll not experience it.

Look at the thread I cross-posted from the Mazdaspeed forum.
"We All Know About the Cold Weather Boost Cut"
That was in 2008...a well-known issue back then.
There was not a single dissenting comment in that thread.

Another member's dealership is looking into it because of their first-hand observations, not to placate a customer.

I wonder what kind of proof is required when I say that my butt aches because of the seats.
I guess I could post pics...;)

It’s strange in at least 12 years there hasn’t been some changes or a good description from Mazda why this occurs.

It’s strange in at least 12 years there hasn’t been some changes or a good description from Mazda why this occurs.
Isn't it?
It makes no sense.

And if you look through this entire forum, there has been no concern voiced on this issue that I can find other than that one thread from 2008 on that one model...and of course, here.

The really strange thing is that there are no such complaints voiced on the CX-9 forum, and this exact same turbo engine has been in those cars for 4-5 years (longer?).

Isn't it?
It makes no sense.

And if you look through this entire forum, there has been no concern voiced on this issue that I can find other than that one thread from 2008 on that one model...and of course, here.

The really strange thing is that there are no such complaints voiced on the CX-9 forum, and this exact same turbo engine has been in those cars for 4-5 years (longer?).

As a CX-9 owner, in my experience, the issue is much less pronounced, and isn't as noticeable as the issue reported by other CX-5 owners. Most CX-9 owners are probably also less likely to push their bigger, heavier cars as hard as CX-5 drivers. I have clocked a 1 second difference in 0-60 times, while Uno (who I think has been the only one to actually clock it and upload the footage) clocks a 3 second difference in 0-60 times.

Most CX-9 owners are probably also less likely to push their bigger, heavier cars as hard as CX-5 drivers.

I was thinking the same thing, sm1ke.
The classic SUV versus the sportier CUV.

Same goes for Mazdaspeed3 drivers, huh? Interesting that the Mazdaspeed3 Cold Weather thread was posted in 2008, when the first model year was 2007. The issue was already "Everyone knows that..."

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing, sm1ke.
The classic SUV versus the sportier CUV.

Same goes for Mazdaspeed3 drivers, huh? Interesting that the Mazdaspeed3 Cold Weather thread was posted in 2018, when the first model year was 2017. The issue was already "Everyone knows that..."
You mean 2008 and 2007 I assume

I don’t believe Mazda is the only mfg that possibly limits turbo in cold weather to protect engine. At least by across the board complaints.

Reading the STI link, they state boost is reduced, but I didnt see anyone saying power was reduced. One person commented that is felt the same.

sm1ke posted this link to another forum where this issues was discussed.

Yeah I think Mazda may simply be more aggressive with it in the CX-5. I assume they're also aggressive with it in the Mazda6 because it's a little lighter than the CX-5 and FWD only, but I haven't heard any complaints about power loss from a Mazda6 owner yet.

With regard to the WRX/STi owners, that group is much larger, more involved, and more dedicated in tuning. They are probably aware of the issue if it exists on their cars, and they know why it happens. They also probably know how to tune it out. We, on the other hand, are the opposite. It seems that very few people know how to tune the 2.5T right now. The number of people interested in tuning a 2.5T is also significantly smaller than those interested in tuning an enthusiast car like the WRX. Which means that we don't know nearly as much about our engine as they do about theirs. We're left to speculate while they already have some answers.

Yeah I think Mazda may simply be more aggressive with it in the CX-5. I assume they're also aggressive with it in the Mazda6 because it's a little lighter than the CX-5 and FWD only, but I haven't heard any complaints about power loss from a Mazda6 owner yet.

With regard to the WRX/STi owners, that group is much larger, more involved, and more dedicated in tuning. They are probably aware of the issue if it exists on their cars, and they know why it happens. They also probably know how to tune it out. We, on the other hand, are the opposite. It seems that very few people know how to tune the 2.5T right now. The number of people interested in tuning a 2.5T is also significantly smaller than those interested in tuning an enthusiast car like the WRX. Which means that we don't know nearly as much about our engine as they do about theirs. We're left to speculate while they already have some answers.
Let's be fair, STi owners are also dealing with an engine that has been in use since 2004, lol! They BETTER understand it by now.

Let's be fair, STi owners are also dealing with an engine that has been in use since 2004, lol! They BETTER understand it by now.

Whoops, not sure how I managed to leave that point out.

I wonder if any Speed owners have been able to get the cold weather issue resolved on their cars by having it tuned out? If so, that info might be handy to have for current/future 2.5T tuners. Maybe this issue is what's making tuning this engine so difficult? 🤷‍♂️

I've noticed a lack of such resources for the 2019 model year.

>The one guy referenced here (OVTUNE?) who does the remote tunes where you...
-install his tune
-drive around and gather data
-send the data to him
-install the final specific-to-your-engine tune
...but he no longer does Mazdas

>VersaTuner (a site sponsor) does not do tunes for 2nd Gen CX-5s, nor do they offer tunes for any model year CX-9 turbo (although there may never have been a market for CX-9 tunes)

>OBD2 reader PIDs for 2019 CX-5s are tough to come by. ScanTool is finally saying "to be released soon" after the longest time of saying "Tough to get data from Mazda." I just read that Bluedriver finally released their 2019 Mazda PIDs. Tons of other manufacturers' PIDs have been available almost immediately upon model release.

I wonder if the Mazda CD issue has scared professional tuners away from the 2018+ CX-5...there's too much exposure.

Last edited:
I've noticed a lack of such resources for the 2019 model year.

>The one guy referenced here (OVTUNE?) who does the remote tunes where you...
-install his tune
-drive around and gather data
-send the data to him
-install the final specific-to-your-engine tune
...but he no longer does Mazdas

>VersaTuner (a site sponsor) does not do tunes for 2nd Gen CX-5s, nor do they offer tunes for any model year CX-9 turbo (although there may never have been a market for CX-9 tunes)

>OBD2 reader PIDs for 2019 CX-5s are tough to come by. ScanTool is finally saying "to be released soon" after the longest time of saying "Tough to get data from Mazda." I just read that Bluedriver finally released their 2019 Mazda PIDs. Tons of other manufacturers' PIDs have been available almost immediately upon model release.

I wonder if the Mazda CD issue has scared professional tuners away from the 2019+ CX-5...there's too much exposure.

Orange Virus does still tune Mazdas, but their division in the Philippines handles all the remote tuning. I've tried to email them a few times about getting my car tuned and have yet to receive a response.

The 2.5T engine debuted in 2016, but there simply wasn't enough interest/sales to warrant "go fast" modifications. After they put the 2.5T in the 6 and the CX-5, a few companies started releasing mods.

Orange Virus does still tune Mazdas, but their division in the Philippines handles all the remote tuning. I've tried to email them a few times about getting my car tuned and have yet to receive a response.

The 2.5T engine debuted in 2016, but there simply wasn't enough interest/sales to warrant "go fast" modifications. After they put the 2.5T in the 6 and the CX-5, a few companies started releasing mods.
Interesting.

I thought Orange Virus went 100% Toyota. Interesting that they still do Mazdas.

Just to restate: the site sponsor still offers Gen1 CX-5 tunes, but nothing for the Gen2, either NA or turbo. I wonder why they stopped? Maybe interest in tuning the higher-selling CX-5 lags interest in the lower-selling 3 and 6.

:What do you know about DR Tuned? They say "Custom Tuning Solutions For All 2004+ Mazda’s Including MZR and Skyactiv Engines!", but only list products for the 3 and the 6 (NA and turbo). I'd send them a note, but I'm not in the market for this until my warranty period is over, and the market place is likely to be way different then.

I have one thought on this: Once the engine is up to normal operating temperatures, how does it know it's a cold day out there?
Does someone tell it it's winter, and then it says to itself, brrrrrr, it's cold outside, I'd better slow down.
Just wondering.

Back