Help: CX-5 Coolant Leak, needs new engine

I need help on what to decide

My CX-5 2019 GTR has a cracked cylinder, in reference to TSB 01-013-21. It is out of warranty at this point with only 67k miles and the dealership is asking for $6k to fix, but with goodwill they only can offer about $4,800 to fix.

Has anyone gotten Mazda to fully cover the expense for this TSB? Any solutions to getting them to take responsibility to fully cover?

At this point should I just trade it in or get the engine fix and traded it in afterwards?

Thanks.

Guess it depends on what the cracked trade in allowance would be vs uncracked allowance vs uncracked craigslist/marketplace value.

How much will they give you with the head cracked?

My CX-5 2019 GTR has a cracked cylinder, in reference to TSB 01-013-21. It is out of warranty at this point with only 67k miles and the dealership is asking for $6k to fix, but with goodwill they only can offer about $4,800 to fix.

Has anyone gotten Mazda to fully cover the expense for this TSB? Any solutions to getting them to take responsibility to fully cover?

At this point should I just trade it in or get the engine fix and traded it in afterwards?

Thanks.

You can try to negotiate more goodwill coverage, but it's generally up to the people handling your case. Sometimes you get someone who's feeling generous, other times you get someone who's having a bad day.

I would suggest either trading it in as is to a dealership that will accept it, depending on how much they'll offer. Or, pay to get it fixed and continue to drive it. They'll replace the cracked head with an updated version that is supposed to resolve this issue. Or you can trade it in after getting it fixed, but at that point you're trading in a perfectly good car (IMO).

I certainly would contact MAZDA public relations. This is an engineering or fabrication error on MAZDA. The fanatical load should not be carried by the owner. Ed

I certainly would contact MAZDA public relations. This is an engineering or fabrication error on MAZDA. The fanatical load should not be carried by the owner. Ed
Absolutely, it's a well known issue. Sounds like a class action lawsuit in the making.

Thanks.
Spend some time to read these related long threads:

Poll 2.5T Coolant Leak/Engine Replacement

2.5T Engine Coolant Leaking TSB

2.5T Cracked Cylinder Head/Leaking Coolant Report to the NHTSA

2017~2024 2.5T Engine Coolant Leaking TSB

You should get a feel from other owner’s experience about chances of getting help from Mazda North American Operations on your 2.5T with cracked head without warranty.

Do contact MNAO directly not the Mazda dealer, and talk to someone with higher authority not just a CS rep. And report your case to NHTSA website.

You should also check the used engine option (LKQ, etc.) which can be cheaper although the price of used engines has also skyrocketed nowadays.

Good luck and keep us posted.

This certainly isn’t the engineering or fabrication error but a design issue. The TSB said it clearly and the cylinder head and exhaust manifold gasket on the 2.5T have since been revised after June 2020.

Just a follow up from @kyleylee55, posted in a different thread.

Contacted Mazda USA to help plead with a Case #. Then brought my car to a bad Mazda dealership that estimated to fix for $7,000 for the cylinder head replacement. Keep in mind ( Cylinder head part only cost $1k-2k) labor cost was upcharged at the dealership…

Then proceeded to fight with the dealership through text/email with the help of Mazda USA to get the estimate down and back me up, in short, was able to only pay $250.00 out of pocket.

FYI: Have Mazda USA fight for your case or else the dealership will rack up the estimate to fix your Mazda by a lot..$$$$. This issue is a Mazda issue, they need to take care of it. They are facing an active Law Suit, they will have to fix it or else they will get sued and get them selfs into other things.

#Beware/Take notes and be persistent on getting Mazda to fix this for you for lower than $1,000. :)

Wow, that's interesting to see Mazda on the buyer's side and against the dealer. Sounds like this problem is so prevalent that they're being proactive (as to avoid the mess of a class action possibly?).

Wow, that's interesting to see Mazda on the buyer's side and against the dealer. Sounds like this problem is so prevalent that they're being proactive (as to avoid the mess of a class action possibly?).

Or a case of a helpful Mazda Corporate agent recognizing the scummy tactics of a dealership.

I don't think a Mazda rep would care about a remote class-action lawsuit. I'm siding with sm1ke. I'm more inclined to believe that it's a simply helpful customer rep. Corporate reps are encouraged to help the customer. Some do and some don't. Further, it doesn't cost Mazda corporate anything since the car was previously owned and sold by the dealership.

It's really messed up that the cost of repairs went from $7,000 to $250. Really shows how you can't trust dealership service departments. No wonder it's a gold mine for dealership owners.

At 67k miles I would not be buying a new engine for a design issue that is clearly by now Mazda's fault. That's buying a major part of the car a few miles out of warranty all over again. I'm glad things worked out for you. If it was me I'd have a reputable lawyer on hand just in case Mazda wouldn't fork up in a big way or be looking to sign up for that class action. This just pisses me off and I don't even have an affected vehicle. I think even the $250 might be too much. It's their fault. The term "goodwill" in this case is ridiculous.

https://www.sauderschelkopf.com/inv...olant-leak-defect-class-action-investigation/

One class action engine issue in Ca. :

https://www.legalscoops.com/mazda-oil-consumption-defect-class-action-and-settlement-update/

"According to his complaint, the plaintiff is not alone in his concerns, as thousands of complaints regarding the Oil Consumption Defect have been posted by customers on various websites, including the website of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (“NHTSA”)."

Last edited:
I admire your conviction. Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to claw back $250 after you've already brought the bill down from $7000. I'd pay the $250 to get it fixed. Then watch how the class action progresses, and join it if you want to get the $250 back at that point.

This is a $6750 olive branch, and it's being offered despite the vehicle being out of warranty. I wouldn't swat it away over $250. But that's just me.

I admire your conviction. Personally, I wouldn't bother trying to claw back $250 after you've already brought the bill down from $7000. I'd pay the $250 to get it fixed. Then watch how the class action progresses, and join it if you want to get the $250 back at that point.

This is a $6750 olive branch, and it's being offered despite the vehicle being out of warranty. I wouldn't swat it away over $250. But that's just me.
Will the replacement fix this coolant leakage permanently? I have 2018GT cx-9, sitting counting the clock ticking my turn. Is there any pro step can be done to prevent this issue.??? In my opinion, they have to recall this, seen lots of complains on youtube and other forums.

Even if the customers win the class action suit eventually, Mazda will likely extend the engine block warranty only. Recall is very unlikely since there is no immediate safety issue (which is what a recall is for).

Mazda should extend the warranty coverage on those turbo engines before the revision, IMO.

Will the replacement fix this coolant leakage permanently? I have 2018GT cx-9, sitting counting the clock ticking my turn. Is there any pro step can be done to prevent this issue.??? In my opinion, they have to recall this, seen lots of complains on youtube and other forums.

The replacement head was redesigned to accommodate for this potential crack, at least that's what they say. It should be a permanent fix but only time will tell. I have a 2018 as well, but I'm not going to let the small chance that this could happen to me too, ruin my ownership and enjoyment of the car. I set aside some cash to deal with this if it ever comes up - until then I'm just gonna keep driving :)

Dude, no one is saying to swat away a sizable offer to get an engine replaced, I'm just saying Mazda should own up to the full replacement cost so close to an expired engine power train warranty since it is their poor engine design that is causing grief for so many people that laid out thousands of dollars for a seemingly reliable car. Now they're asking others to lay thousands of dollars more to fix a design issue. Olive branch?? "We (Mazda) sold you a vehicle with an expensive inherent design flaw which will now cost you thousands more on top of the original cost of your car. Out of the goodness of our hearts, we will now possibly cover most of your cost"
Reminds me of the thousands of GM engines will similar engine crack problems back in the eighties.

Dude, no one is saying to swat away a sizable offer to get an engine replaced, I'm just saying Mazda should own up to the full replacement cost so close to an expired engine power train warranty since it is their poor engine design that is causing grief for so many people that laid out thousands of dollars for a seemingly reliable car. Now they're asking others to lay thousands of dollars more to fix a design issue. Olive branch?? "We (Mazda) sold you a vehicle with an expensive inherent design flaw which will now cost you thousands more on top of the original cost of your car. Out of the goodness of our hearts, we will now possibly cover most of your cost"
Reminds me of the thousands of GM engines will similar engine crack problems back in the eighties.

I know how a warranty works. I know that when my warranty is up, if something happens to the car, I would blame it on Mazda for their design fault, and I would try to get them to goodwill the repair. I also know that because my warranty is expired, they have no obligation to help me in any way, as frustrating as that may be. So yes, I'd consider this an olive branch, and I would gladly pay $250 for a $7000 repair that is meant to resolve the problem.

I know how a warranty works. I know that when my warranty is up, if something happens to the car, I would blame it on Mazda for their design fault, and I would try to get them to goodwill the repair. I also know that because my warranty is expired, they have no obligation to help me in any way, as frustrating as that may be. So yes, I'd consider this an olive branch, and I would gladly pay $250 for a $7000 repair that is meant to resolve the problem.
Well...I'll look at it this way. Getting a new engine for a mere $250 after 60k miles wouldn't be such a bad thing...

Back