Windshield Washer Fluid recommendation?

So, I stopped by my dealership on the way in to work yesterday (since I had a little extra time), and they filled up the windshield washer fluid for me...with apparently water. I popped the hood afterward to check, in order to see if they filled it up all the way (which they did). However, the solution is clear - and when I took the cap off to smell it, there's no odor to it. Is that fine, or should I take it back?

And since the tank is full, would it be worth adding something else to the mix (like a concentrated additive, etc.), or best simply to leave it alone?

So, I stopped by my dealership on the way in to work yesterday (since I had a little extra time), and they filled up the windshield washer fluid for me...with apparently water. I popped the hood afterward to check, in order to see if they filled it up all the way (which they did). However, the solution is clear - and when I took the cap off to smell it, there's no odor to it. Is that fine, or should I take it back?

And since the tank is full, would it be worth adding something else to the mix (like a concentrated additive, etc.), or best simply to leave it alone?

It's not going to freeze in LA, so I'd just use it up. And not take it to them next time. :)

Yes.

Here is one example with video evidence...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puDhCpGi4h0

Couldn't watch with sound on, but is that just the fluid getting pushed off the windshield and then drying on the paint? Did he wash it? Did he clay it?

That doesn't look like "paint damage" to me. Just looks like fluid that got dried on.

But again, I couldn't watch with sound on.

Couldn't watch with sound on, but is that just the fluid getting pushed off the windshield and then drying on the paint? Did he wash it? Did he clay it?

That doesn't look like "paint damage" to me. Just looks like fluid that got dried on.

The video doesn't show any paint damage at all, just residue all over the car from over spray. Yes, it would've came out with a wash and what not (why didn't they show the aftermath of that, hmm)

The video is utter garbage, kinda like Rain-X windshield washer fluid. lol

What a waste.

Hell, back in the day, I angled my windshield sprayers to spray completely on the car behind me, and I'd light their ass up when they tailgated the s*** outta me. Worked like a charm!

Last edited:

You should watch it with the sound when you get a chance.

He was eventually able to get the stuff off his car, but if you care about your paint and paint protection (coating, sealant, wax, ect), you shouldn't use it.

Which is why he went through the trouble of extracting it from the reservoir.

Hell, back in the day, I angled my windshield sprayers to spray completely on the car behind me, and I'd light their ass up when they tailgated the s*** outta me. Worked like a charm!

Seems like someone with a name like ZOOMZOOMFOREVER wouldn't be tailgated much. ;)

Interesting. How about a mix of a little generic windshield washer with plain water? Should avoid paint damage issues I'd think. In fact what is the evidence that windshield washer mixes are superior to water? Get bugs off better? I don't have that problem where I live.

Only use Mazda GENUINE WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUID???????? What have we come to? Who has actually had problems using the $1.29/gal blue stuff....... Sheeeeesh! (drunk)

Only use Mazda GENUINE WINDSHIELD WASHER FLUID???????? What have we come to? Who has actually had problems using the $1.29/gal blue stuff....... Sheeeeesh! (drunk)

To put it nicely, its a wet behind the ears bunch around here for the most part if you havent noticed.

but the oddest thing is no one mentioned the high dollar German additives yet...

I have $100/gallon washer fluid made extras special by the addition of unicorn tears and $100/hour Jeeves strapped to the roof hand cleaning my windshield when I use it (wipers are for plebs).

I have $100/gallon washer fluid made extras special by the addition of unicorn tears and $100/hour Jeeves strapped to the roof hand cleaning my windshield when I use it (wipers are for plebs).

bs_flag.gif

Back