Windows and Sunroof after ignition is turned off

djltoronto

:
Mazda 3 Sport
I love my Mazda 3 as much as the next guy (if not more), but I am continually annoyed by the fact that I can't close the windows or sunroof once the ignition is switched off.

I bet theres a simple wiring solution to this!
If someone with the skills and wiring diagram has a chance, there is probably a few of us who would like to at least be able to control the sunroof without the key.

I know some people would be skeptical of having the windows working without the key in the ignition because it makes it easier for a thief to break into the car, (just reach in with a coat hangar and press the "window down" button. But with the sunroof controls being on the roof, there is little chance of that.

it was done for the protege5, check his site zapwizard.com
but I haven't been able to get my hands on a free copy of the highlights manual.

YOU get me the manual and I'll figure it out.

I doubt it is much different then on a Protege,

Basicly there is a wire running to the fuse box for the power windows.
This wire normaly is connected to +12volts ACC (Accessory)

You simply convert it over to +12volts Batt
(Make sure it's still fused)

On the Protege it is very simple, as the fuse box is almost designed for it.

I don't see any security issues, unless the theif knows that you have done this mod, he won't be trying to press those buttons anyhow.
You can always install a disable switch.

Another idea is to install a timed relay, that keeps the windows functional for about a minute after the car is off, so that you can roll the windows up after you turn the car off.

Another idea is to link a relay to the door open sensors.
Where you can still operate the windows after the car is off, up until you open the car door. (This is easier then a timed relay)

There are many possiblities.

I personaly love having mine always on, as I often get in the car, and open the moonroof and driver's windows before I even start the car.

ZapWizard said:
I doubt it is much different then on a Protege,

Basicly there is a wire running to the fuse box for the power windows.
This wire normaly is connected to +12volts ACC (Accessory)

You simply convert it over to +12volts Batt
(Make sure it's still fused)

On the Protege it is very simple, as the fuse box is almost designed for it.

I don't see any security issues, unless the theif knows that you have done this mod, he won't be trying to press those buttons anyhow.
You can always install a disable switch.

Another idea is to install a timed relay, that keeps the windows functional for about a minute after the car is off, so that you can roll the windows up after you turn the car off.

Another idea is to link a relay to the door open sensors.
Where you can still operate the windows after the car is off, up until you open the car door. (This is easier then a timed relay)

There are many possiblities.

I personaly love having mine always on, as I often get in the car, and open the moonroof and driver's windows before I even start the car.

Always on would probably work best for me.
I made a looping relay linked to the door open sensor like you suggested on my previous car (1988 civic), but that was easier to work on since I didn't care much about how good it looked.

It would help if I had a wiring diagram.
I'm probbaly going to see what I can come up with with just my trusty fluke multimeter.

Hey zap, quick question for ya, i dont know if you will know it or not. On the newer GM models they have a feature just as you explained, and i am sure that it is doable on the P5. Like i said it is as you explained it allows for the acc to stay on for approx 5 minutes after the key is turned off or a door is open. I find this extremely helpful for rolling up the windows after the key is off or closing the sunroof if you forget. I was wondering if you know the way to do this and if you could point me in the right direction. I am unsure if the windows/roof/ and stereo are all on the same circuit or not though. Any help is appreciated.

Wiring Schematic

Anyone have access to the wiring schematic diagram?
is it possible to forward me a copy?

I could make a few how-to's

they don't have any information listed for the Mazda 3 yet on that site as far as I can tell. The most recent vehicle they have on the front page is a 2003 Protege.

The info is there, it's just not listed on the front page. Docgoku (I think) from mazda3forums bought a 24 hour subscription and looked up a bunch of stuff.

He said that the way the pages are set up, it's VERY difficult and time-consuming to copy and compile the data contained therein.

goldwing2000 said:
The info is there, it's just not listed on the front page. Docgoku (I think) from mazda3forums bought a 24 hour subscription and looked up a bunch of stuff.

He said that the way the pages are set up, it's VERY difficult and time-consuming to copy and compile the data contained therein.

what if one uses 'wget' or some other www grabber?

yeah, I would think that all you would have to do is hook the wire to a constant power source(battery) and have an inline fuse to it. I don't think it is any harder than that. Anyone with basic wiring skills would be able to accomplish this.

hey, i'll try to get an account. of course not mine.
i really want to know about the thing, so,,,, i'll try to bring an account.
btw, who is the one doing all the reading and all that stuff with wire?.

Back