Will the 6 Diesel Come to Market Without DEF?

igotzzoom

Contributor
:
Current: 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE 2.0T, Past: 2003 Mazda Protege5
The 2014 Mazda 6 diesel has reportedly been delayed until April 2014 due to emissions testing delays. I'm wondering if Mazda is actually having a tough time meeting emissions standards without the use of DEF. How committed do you think the company is to bringing it to market without having to rely on an external aftertreatment? What would be a bigger failure for Mazda: If they ultimately have to use DEF to meet emissions, or cancelling the 6 diesel for North America because they can't meet emissions without DEF? Do you think the 6 will ultimately come to market in North America without needing DEF?

I still feel it to be a 50/50 chance of them bringing it over... Still too much anti-diesel stigma here in the US to make the decision "easy" on MAZDA NA.

I still feel it to be a 50/50 chance of them bringing it over... Still too much anti-diesel stigma here in the US to make the decision "easy" on MAZDA NA.

That and Mazda is currently having a ton of problems with the new SkyActiv diesels overseas. To be honest, I think it's why the diesels have been delayed in coming to North America.

I really want a diesel CX-5, but I would much rather wait until the problems are worked out.

^ which problems?

I've heard of the new dipstick (no biggy IMO) and the regen cycles forcing diesel fuel in the oil sump (that's pretty bad). Both have been fixed to my knowledge.

Are there any other that have been occurring?

^ which problems?

I've heard of the new dipstick (no biggy IMO) and the regen cycles forcing diesel fuel in the oil sump (that's pretty bad). Both have been fixed to my knowledge.

Are there any other that have been occurring?

Diesel fuel entering the oil sump is the issue I'm referring to and to date I do not believe the issue has been remedied. The solution Mazda has implemented is more frequent oil changes (every 1200 miles). 1200 miles is a very short oil change interval and a bandaid fix IMO.

Mazda needs to ensure their diesels are rock solid before they are introduced to North America. If they're not well received, it will cause some big problems for them.

The first few months of the issue, their temporary fix was frequent oil changes. Now, they have a more permanent fix that seems to be working for most (i think) people on this forum. Lets hope it is a permanent fix.

From: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123817637-Engine-Oil-Rise/page30

Update: 7050 miles done and the oil level was lower than my previous reading. it's nearer the full than the X. I did read somewhere that the oil level will be higher just before a regen is due!???

anyway another check at 8000 to confirm its ok , so far so good..

My theory is that a batch of faulty exhaust pressure sensors along with the cars firmware led to too many regens with too much fuel injected into the engine on the exhaust stroke.

If the following link is factually correct...

http://www.stocksy.co.uk/articles/Ca..._consequences/

then the problem with oil levels rising would typically be worse in winter months. Still, it's looking good so far.

But I do agree with you, if/when Mazda brings their diesels to NA, they need to be rock solid to get them off to a good start.

The first few months of the issue, their temporary fix was frequent oil changes. Now, they have a more permanent fix that seems to be working for most (i think) people on this forum. Lets hope it is a permanent fix.

From: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123817637-Engine-Oil-Rise/page30

Update: 7050 miles done and the oil level was lower than my previous reading. it's nearer the full than the X. I did read somewhere that the oil level will be higher just before a regen is due!???

anyway another check at 8000 to confirm its ok , so far so good..

My theory is that a batch of faulty exhaust pressure sensors along with the cars firmware led to too many regens with too much fuel injected into the engine on the exhaust stroke.

If the following link is factually correct...

http://www.stocksy.co.uk/articles/Ca..._consequences/

then the problem with oil levels rising would typically be worse in winter months. Still, it's looking good so far.

But I do agree with you, if/when Mazda brings their diesels to NA, they need to be rock solid to get them off to a good start.

Hi,

the australians did the diesel beta testing for us europeans who are checking the fix for north america :)

Latest posts

Back