will +45 offset rub?

Striker187

:
2008 MS3 GT
i looked at rishie's fitment guide but i'm still not sure....am i gonna rub with 17x7.5" wheels with 215/45/17 tires? or could i fit 17x7" with +42 offset even?

Last edited:
if you do rub a little it is easily fixed. the only part of the fender that rubbed for me. i got 17 by 7.5 at 48mm offsett but i have 225/45 for tires. but the only part of the fender that rubbed is the front where the lip is about 3 times wider than the rest of the fender. it is an area about 3 or 4 in long and i hand rolled it with a rubber mallet was very easy and no more rubbing

I have 215/45/17s on 17x7s with +45mm offset. On the rear I am currently running 5mm spacer which gives me a +40mm offset. The rear does rub occasionally, but only over large dips and sometimes during heavy transient changes of direction (switchbacks). I don't think you'll rub at all. I'm gonn go out and use Vampyre's suggestion to see if I can cure it. I will likely take the spacer out when I put the coilovers on so I can lower it without rubbing.

Note: I also have 1.5 degrees negative camber on the rear. Without that, it would rub more most likely.

Britt

thanks guys. maybe i'll bite the bullet and get the rims i want. guess i could always get lower profile tires when it comes time to get new ones again.

122 vega, isn't -1.5 degrees a pretty heavy camber?....i have no idea what the stock setting is. if it's different from stock, what'd you do to change it?

i cant lower my car...i have 17x7's with a 42 offset...you need to read up on the offsets before you buy, i made the mistake of purchasing them and finding out the hard way...you can forget about lowering it...

yeah i read about your situation. i'm not planning on lowering the car right away so i think i'll be ok. i'll prolly get 215/40 or 215/35 tires later on to give me a little more room.

is it very obvious when it rubs? like what would give it away? sound? steering feel?

My speed wears O.Z superleggara's, 7x17, +45 off set, 2154517 nokian tires...I run -1.3 camber up front and have no rub problems...with the stock wheels I pushed it to -2.2 camber and it rubbed on the forward inside section of the wheel well...if i did wheels again I'd go for a 16 inch +45 off set and run a 225/45 tire...to get those camber #'s I used H&R camber bolts+turned the strut perches(as per delsing web page), any adjustment beyond -1.3 camber with the lowering springs made simultanious braking/steering an odd experience+I can say I've experienced "bump steer"...I recently went back to the stock springs but thats another story...

Last edited:
is -1.3 degrees a lot of camber? i have no idea what the stock settings are and i'm pretty much a newb when it comes to suspension details. all i know is that most cars run about -0.5 degrees stock.

MoJoeTCM said:
what happens to the camber when you add sportlines? if stock is -0.5?
The stock set up as per mazda is around 0.9 or -0.5, it saves tires and causes understeer for 'safety' reasons, with about 1.5 inch drop people suggest camber bolts, which I did so I don't know if I could have done with out them...anyway...Eibach pro-kit is a good choice for springs, my H&R's handled great but the rear was always to high for my liking, most protege springs are not designed for the speed, there is something different in the rear strut design.

Ok, so if I'm getting 18x7.5 wheels w/215/35R18 tires, what offset would I get? 42mm? I don't know much about how the offset works. I also have Eibach prokits so the car is only dropped about an inch and a half. This is just for future ref.

^^^^
according to rishie's guide, you'll need a +48mm offset, though you may be able to run a +45.

mavespeed, what camber kit did you get?

Striker187 said:
^^^^
according to rishie's guide, you'll need a +48mm offset, though you may be able to run a +45.

mavespeed, what camber kit did you get?
I just did the H&R camberbolts, I think eibach makes some...and go to delsingmotorsport.com to turn the strut bearing

Back