Why Is It Called The "MP3" ?

There are many threads discussing the origins of mazda MP3. It does NOT stand for anything related to mazda. Some people say its mazda protege 3, some mazda performance 3, others mazdaspeed protege 3 and so on. I originaly thought the 3 stood for 3rd generation, but that is not so. I looked into this alot when I first bought my MP3, this is what I found out.

It was originaly supposed to be called a Mazdaspeed Protege, but after test driving it, mazda decided to change it since they felt it was underpowered to be a Mazdaspeed. The main reason it was called MP3 is that is was the first car (at least non-luxury) to come with a MP3 player. The MP3 stands for a model kind, such as DX, EX, LX. Its official a Mazda Protege MP3, unlike MSP for the mazdaspeed protege.

In one of the recent MODIFIED magazine articles about Pirana (one of the forum members cars), the magazine mentioned mazdaspeed protege 3, which even he said was totally made-up since thats what it "looks" like it stands for ;).

also if you happen to have one of the original adds for the mp3 that ran in motor trend etc it says at the top....

"does your mp3 player have performance springs, stabilizer bars and tokico struts? Introducing mazda mp3. any mp3 player lets you play files that you download. but only one lets you downshift. mazda mp3 production is limited."

MP3Architect said:
also if you happen to have one of the original adds for the mp3 that ran in motor trend etc it says at the top....

"does your mp3 player have performance springs, stabilizer bars and tokico struts? Introducing mazda mp3. any mp3 player lets you play files that you download. but only one lets you downshift. mazda mp3 production is limited."

That's awesome! I want that add, and I'm willing to pay for it.

i have a copy of it in my owners book. Wasnt ripped out of a magazine.... Must have came with the car ?????

I feel like I should bump this since I came across a little more information about the MP3.

I was reading last weeks auto week when I came across a section about factory -backed tuning companies. It had a section about Mazdaspeed too. It said that they started planning what later became the MP3 in about 1997. The MP3 was the first attempt at bringing over the Mazdaspeed badge to the US. But it ended up an MP3 instead of Mazdaspeed.

So technically the MP3 is the first Mazdaspeed in the US (except without the badging), since it was created with the input and intent of Mazdaspeed workers.

Also I found a old copy of Road and Track from June 2002on ebay (for only $0.99) that tests the best handling cars in the world, including the MP3. There are a lot of different scores and test, most of which could probably be found online. But if anyone is interested, I might be able scan some of it.

I'm sure the wheels played NO PART in the naming of the car....Its just the Manufacturer that maza works with for Special production wheels.
Racing Harts are auctually Enkei Wheels....

Last edited:
that's true (enkei). for those who haven't noticed on their wheels, there is a small "8"-like shape which is the enkei symbol...

I feel like I should bump this since I came across a little more information about the MP3.

I was reading last weeks auto week when I came across a section about factory -backed tuning companies. It had a section about Mazdaspeed too. It said that they started planning what later became the MP3 in about 1997. The MP3 was the first attempt at bringing over the Mazdaspeed badge to the US. But it ended up an MP3 instead of Mazdaspeed.

So technically the MP3 is the first Mazdaspeed in the US (except without the badging), since it was created with the input and intent of Mazdaspeed workers.

The MP3 took 12 months from concept to production. It was the child of Mazda North America R&D.

"The 2001 story of the Mazda Proteg MP3 made by Racing Beat"
http://www.protege323.com/content/60_download/jump.php?geturl=c_additional_model_information/us_2001_mazda_mp3_racingbeat.pdf&PHPSESSID=a6dde0b6b8c3203046eef9cdfa758478

if the pdf link doesn't work
http://www.protege323.com/content/60_download/index.php

Back