Who likes/drives in SPORT mode?

bmninada

Contributor
:
2016 CX-5 AWD GT+iActive Soul Red
Wanted to know who prefers exclusively driving in SPORTS mode and why?
If in short bursts - when?
What's the general opinion of the sports mode, any downside other than drop in MPG?

Personally, I use it when trying to get into a ramp, waiting patiently in line and a car comes zooming into any gap created. I hate those cars and purposely use it to make sure there's no gap.

I've tried it in short burts. Also works great for additional engine braking since it always downshifts a gear. It stays too long at high revs so driving in sports mode in a straight line is just a waste of fuel.

Initially I used to to go up steep winding hill in my neighborhood but have since switched to shifting into manual (second gear) which works perfectly, as it provides the right amount of torque.

Also works great for additional engine braking since it always downshifts a gear.
Never thought about this. As our SkyActiv-G is "Atkinson capable", which give us less engine brake than normal four-stroke engines. Even my wife noticed there is not much engine brake while driving the CX-5.

Looks like everyone uses it in short bursts or steep climbs. There's only 1 review where the guy keeps it on - continuously. However, after driving quite a few of these modern cars with this button called SPORTS, personally I found Mazda did a good job actually. One can actually feel the difference. In most others I have driven - it more or less just a blimp.

My CX-5 engine brakes like a mofo....If you think otherwise, most likely you aren't downshifting. If you leave it on "D" no, it wont engine brake and you're just coasting in whatever gear until speed (or engine load?) get's low enough to prompt a downshift.

I think sports mode is a bit silly... it's basically a redundant system since you can shift the gear yourself. If I want more out of a given gear, I leave it M and when I'm done accelrating, or past whatever I just put it in D. It shifts up one automatically (if applicable) and on from there. Sometimes I may leave the car in a lower gear just so I have more power on tap (and engine braking), like during stop and go, when I need to merge into a faster lane from a slower lane etc.. I'm pre 16 so I don't get "sport" mode, however unless I'm at a constant speed or accelerating at highway speeds I keep it in M. I've noticed that even though 3rd gear gives 80, at about 65 or higher the trans won't use 3rd to accelerate, but 4th. So really the key to this motor and higher/maximum performance from it is controlling the RPM yourself .

Last edited:
I seldom switch into Sport - like others, only when scooting onto the highway. I drove a newer V6 Accord for a short time and Sport on that was fun!

Never thought about this. As our SkyActiv-G is "Atkinson capable", which give us less engine brake than normal four-stroke engines. Even my wife noticed there is not much engine brake while driving the CX-5.

Yeah, with both the intake and exhaust valve timing controlled by the ECU, Mazda could have given us a Jake brake (engine compression brake) with the simple addition of a switch and some software. But maybe that would be problematic from the perspective of controlling crankcase pressure and the temperatures of the catalytic scrubbers on long descents.

Mine engine brakes nicely. It isn't so much a method on its own as it is "something a little extra". I remember my 'vette and 370z though, every time I would come up on some officers running radar at night and wanted to scrub a few mph off what I was doing (say, I was doing 80 and SL was 75), I would just shift into a lower gear so as not to throw a bunch of bloom from the tail lights. Engine braking at its most practical!

Engine braking - does it not strain the transmission? I used to do it, going downhill in AT and then felt a brake job is $300 max whereas a transmission kaput would be $3000+.

Don't forget when you are manually shifting that sports mode can also be a used. Someone mentioned this in another thread and I was skeptical until I tried it for myself. While you have full control of the shifting, it is in the gas pedal response programming that makes it a little more responsive while in sports mode.

Yep, per Mazda sports mode does increase accelerator pedal sensitivity and thus response.

I use M for heavy stop-and-go traffic so I can use the brakes less. Also, engine braking for steep declines to avoid riding the brakes.

Anyone has any idea on how much MPG is being sacrificed here? To keep it simple, in % terms maybe...

Sports mode + Manual shifting + paddle shifter = much fun. This mode allows the use of sport mode in all gears. I use it mainly for quick accelerations, driving in the hills for fun, or anytime I need crisper response from the throttle.

Anyone has any idea on how much MPG is being sacrificed here? To keep it simple, in % terms maybe...

There is no simple answer to that question. It will vary widely depending on your driving style. Why not do a tank in Sport Mode and compare the MPG to your other tanks?

There is no simple answer to that question. It will vary widely depending on your driving style. Why not do a tank in Sport Mode and compare the MPG to your other tanks?
MIKE - doing it, now... will report back!!

Sports mode + Manual shifting + paddle shifter = much fun. This mode allows the use of sport mode in all gears. I use it mainly for quick accelerations, driving in the hills for fun, or anytime I need crisper response from the throttle.

Didn't think paddle shifters were avaliable on a CX-5

Didn't think paddle shifters were avaliable on a CX-5
Yeah, not from factory. But Srad600 is one of the pioneers here to put the paddle shifter in his CX-5.

Paddle Shift Install - 2016 CX-5

Back