Who else loves their CX-5?

I love my new CX-5!!! I've only had it 3 days but right now I'm totally enamored. (cabpatch). I got a 2014 GT AWD. It's so beautiful, fun to drive, fancy, clean (ha)...and the stereo sounds so good!! BTW, thanks everyone, I've been reading this forum almost a year before I made the decision and there was a lot of useful info. Now that I'm an owner I thought I'd register myself and join in.
2a4ecab6-60db-4302-a8f4-9b5eafe31f60.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I love my new CX-5!!! I've only had it 3 days but right now I'm totally enamored. (cabpatch). I got a 2014 GT AWD. It's so beautiful, fun to drive, fancy, clean (ha)...and the stereo sounds so good!! BTW, thanks everyone, I've been reading this forum almost a year before I made the decision and there was a lot of useful info. Now that I'm an owner I thought I'd register myself and join in.
2a4ecab6-60db-4302-a8f4-9b5eafe31f60.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

welcome to the club!

is that the soul red?

do you like the look of the roof bars? I keep wanting to buy some, I like the chrome it adds. Plus I'll use them someday.

welcome to the club!

is that the soul red?

Yes, soul red. And it's the best red I've ever seen!!

I love the roof racks. Don't know if I'll ever have a need to "use" them, but I wouldn't want the car without them as it enhances the appeal to me, bigtime.

Its been almost 2 weeks with my new CX-5 and I don't miss the truck at all.

Attachments

• Mazda.jpg
    Mazda.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 2,481
Last edited:
I have been researching the CX-5 for some time. My Escape is aging and I need to have a plan for the upcoming time to replace it. I am adamant about driving a manual transmission. I am really disappointed in the options available in the CX-5 Sport MT-6.

Yep, I felt the same way, but I have had fun adding the options that I missed and now have the CX-5 my way. I added a class 3 hitch for the bike rack and utility trailer, speakers in the dash and doors, custom leather seats from Katzkin and seat heaters, JVC DVD player with Jensen back up camera. I would have liked an AWD option, but bought a set of wheels with Bridgestone Blizzaks off Craigslist and have not had any issues in the snow conditions of central Oregon.

I bought the car for $20,800 and my upgrades have cost me less than $3000, so I figure I am ahead, and the Katzkin leather is superior to the factory leather in the custom colors that I wanted. Granted, many don't have the time or nerve to strip off the cloth upholstery and install the leather themselves, but all in all it wasn't that hard, just time consuming. I brought the seats into my house one piece at a time, and installed them while watching NFL. There were times when I was driving the car around with leather rear seats and cloth front seats, but over the course of ten days, the seats were completed. An upholstery shop would be able to do it in one day, but where's the fun in that?

The back up camera was challenging, but has worked perfectly since installed, and I was able to install sound deadening material in the rear hatch at the same time.

Eyeheart go to the mattress store, ghetto strap a xl twin box spring to the roof, drive it home and tell your wife to meet you in the driveway, bam, problem solved.

Let the world know how much you love your cx5!

This labor day weekend I took my CX-5 (along with my wife and two good friends) on a romantic camping trip to the Sierras. There was about 15ppl in our group, but 4 of us in the CX-5.
I'm not telling the world where we went, because I don't want to see a bunch of CX-5's up there next year :) PM me if you want to know.

This trip really re-kindled my love for the CX-5.

Here are a few shots:
Jeep commercial:

1CAR_FB0001.JPG

Grilling the 31 trout our group caught in 4 hours!

1CAR_FB0002.JPG

No way that can all fit in the CX-5 with 4 people each 5'10 or taller for a 7 hour drive!

1CAR_FB0003.JPG

"Lowered CX-5".. no passengers or beer in there. It was a lot heavier on the way up.

1CAR_FB0004.JPG

CX-5 making it's way back to the pavement.

1CAR_FB0005.JPG

Last edited:
continued from last post.

FWD CX-5 rocky downhill (the climb up was at 1AM, so no pictures form that) The ground clearance definitely helps here. Twice before I took my protege5 up this hill and the last time it took me 1hour to get down, carefully placing rocks under the wheels to avoid scraping.

1CAR_FB0006.JPG
13 miles of steep, twisty, bumpy, pot hole filled one lane road over a 9200' pass. The CX-5 loved it even with 4ppl and full of gear. The suspension never even bottomed out! The only issue I had was that it couldn't make it up one extremely steep part in 1st at 1500RPM, so I had to stop and launch hard with a little wheel spin to make it up.

1CAR_FB0007.JPG

During part of the return trip (about 50mi) I reset my avg. MPG and avg. speed. I drove as quickly as traffic would allow. between 60 and 90MPH. The car indicated 72MPH avg. and 37.4MPG!

The mountain portion of the trip returned 30PMG despite the off-road section and climbing a total of over 12k, and 26 miles of 2nd gear driving on the sleep one-lane.
Never felt underpowered and even with all the weight it flew up the grapevine (5 freeway) at 70+ in 5th gear.

The CX-5 was the perfect car for this trip.

The CX-5 handled this trip way better than my protg 5 (been up there 3 times) and my mothers V6 AWD RAV4 which I borrowed for this trip last year.
The RAV4's automatic transmission started shifting very rough after all of the climbing it did, and the suspension was constantly hitting the bump-stops.
The fuel economy of the RAV4 was no-where near the CX-5 and despite the 267HP of the RAV4 the CX-5 was not any slower on any of the climbs.

I conclusion: I <3 my CX-5

Last edited:
Yes, soul red. And it's the best red I've ever seen!!

I love the roof racks. Don't know if I'll ever have a need to "use" them, but I wouldn't want the car without them as it enhances the appeal to me, bigtime.

After having a red car in 1992 that faded badly after 3 years despite lots of TLC, I promised I'd never buy red again. BUT, having seen soul red I have to agree with you it is the best red I've ever seen. If they had that on the 2013 cx-5 I would have gone for that. The zeal red is a bit too sombre for cloudy wales!

continued from last post.

The mountain portion of the trip returned 30PMG despite the off-road section and climbing a total of over 12k, and 26 miles of 2nd gear driving on the sleep one-lane.
Never felt underpowered and even with all the weight it flew up the grapevine (5 freeway) at 70+ in 5th gear.

The CX-5 was the perfect car for this trip.

The CX-5 handled this trip way better than my protg 5 (been up there 3 times) and my mothers V6 AWD RAV4 which I borrowed for this trip last year.
The RAV4's automatic transmission started shifting very rough after all of the climbing it did, and the suspension was constantly hitting the bump-stops.
The fuel economy of the RAV4 was no-where near the CX-5 and despite the 267HP of the RAV4 the CX-5 was not any slower on any of the climbs.

I conclusion: I <3 my CX-5

Excellent trip report and thanks for sharing! Looks like a lot of fun. I love the Sierras.

You seem to focus on important vehicle attributes that really matter in the real world. And your observations show how misguided the observations of those who think the 2.0L engine is under-powered become in the real world as you were fully loaded and the fact that you "only" had 155 hp didn't matter in any tangible way. Very refreshing after all the nit-picking about super minor stuff that don't matter one hoot to most people. And it goes to show that AWD is not necessary to do traverse rugged roads. Driving skill is far more important.

I love my CX-5 too. It has a combination of solidness and nimbleness that is not found in any of the competition. I wish all cars were engineered with such quality and detail to structural engineering and suspension tuning. Cars were meant to drive and the driving attributes are what defines the car, not how big the video display is, how well the exhaust pipes fill the bodywork cutouts or whether the heated seats are so hot they need to be turned down within 5 minutes.

I've had it for one week and almost 500 miles and I do like it a lot- its added torque, agility and shiftable 6 speed makes it an able and willing companion on the daily slog- and an upgrade in most departments vs my departed CRV. I want to love it but man its not without its flaws. The bluetooth and ipod interfaces are beyond my wildest dreams on a 2014 car bad. Lot of cheap plastics and pronounced mirror shake- I knew about these and I really hope they can fix the mirror and make it so I can call from the car, hang up and not have the whole screen basically lock up. Voice button frequently doesn't work at all, sometimes audio button doesn't either. Despite these pretty simple things that I still can't believe they got this wrong- the car is a pleasure to drive and it rewards with great steering and quick (for a CUV) reflexes.

The bluetooth and ipod interfaces are beyond my wildest dreams on a 2014 car bad. Lot of cheap plastics and pronounced mirror shake- I knew about these and I really hope they can fix the mirror and make it so I can call from the car, hang up and not have the whole screen basically lock up.

I've used Bluetooth cell connection on my 2013 CX-5 for the past 10,000 miles without a hiccup. Works great. And of course the MP3 functions on the 2013 are seamless but I think the software update in the works will bring the 2014 to 2013 functionality. And I don't understand the mirror shake, mine is rock solid even on less than smooth roads. I imagine it might shake when I'm going too fast on rocky logging roads but I've never noticed it (not using my side view mirrors when I'm off-pavement).

I hope you get your niggles sorted out soon.

"Who else loves their CX-5?" - Me!

Even though I have liked my CX-5 from the moment I drove it home back in May, I was still hesitant to pin this down until I did a long distance drive. This past weekend I put in some interstate highway travel for a 5 hour trip north and then back a few days later. I wanted to see if there were any comfort issues in a long drive. We made a couple of stops for rest room, refilled gas once and stopped to eat, but still spent a good amount of time sitting behind the wheel. We both felt comfortable.

Road noise was less than what we experience in our former cars. It is quieter than our Mazda 3 and my former Nissan Titan with an annoying performance exhaust system and the V-8 droning continually. Sure there is some wind noise, but when we come to a stop the stereo is not cranked up to compensate and we do not have to talk a few decibels louder. We did not buy a Mercedes so I expect there to be a little wind noise. Not a lot of road noise coming from the tires either.

I could see some very slight hood vibration only when driving at a higher speed with a semi truck passing and causing turbulence and even then I had to really look close to see any movement of the hood. Absolutely no vibration of the side mirrors. No audible rattles or other creaks in the interior at this point.

We are very content with gas mileage as we seem to get near 30 mpg in my daily work week commute and got over this on the long distance interstate travel.

I am pretty simple with car audio and rarely use my iphone for music and have less than a hundred songs stored. I am very content with FM HD stations. We did use the iphone to get through one dead spot where we could not pick up any good FM stations. In general I am content with the audio. Bluetooth seems to work fine and making calls or receiving calls has been absolutely no problem. The Waze GPS app works fine Bluetooth from phone to car audio for voice command turns and warnings while it mutes the music, speaks the command and then back to music.

Since I came from a fairly frisky V-8 I am used to a very costly but responsive acceleration and have had to adjust to a slight bit of lag at times, but that is perception and my impatience. In general I am very content with the drive train of the CX-5 and it has changed my style of driving, which in turn is saving us some dollars.

Interior fit and finish. If I did not like it at the time before purchase then I would not have bought it, but the interior fit, finish and materials are quite okay with us before the purchase and we are still satisfied. The interior is a step above our 07 Mazda 3 and former vehicles. To give a bit more perspective all my past vehicles have been work trucks that were intended for towing and work so I was never one to care much for upper level refinements. The CX-5 is a big change for me and I am not missing driving a truck.

I am a happy CX-5 owner and if it turns out to be as reliable as our Mazda 3 I will continue to be happy.

I've had it for one week and almost 500 miles and I do like it a lot- its added torque, agility and shiftable 6 speed makes it an able and willing companion on the daily slog- and an upgrade in most departments vs my departed CRV. I want to love it but man its not without its flaws. The bluetooth and ipod interfaces are beyond my wildest dreams on a 2014 car bad. Lot of cheap plastics and pronounced mirror shake- I knew about these and I really hope they can fix the mirror and make it so I can call from the car, hang up and not have the whole screen basically lock up. Voice button frequently doesn't work at all, sometimes audio button doesn't either. Despite these pretty simple things that I still can't believe they got this wrong- the car is a pleasure to drive and it rewards with great steering and quick (for a CUV) reflexes.

I would take it in regarding the mirror shake. I had to take it in twice, but once they filled in a ticket number with mazda they said they will be replacing my mirror all together.

Just came back from a 1000 mile trip to Montreal and Quebec City and I’m loving the CX5. Fuel economy was great, I think around 36mpg (almost all of it highway and not really going over the speed limit). Was amazed at how many CX5 I saw in Canada.

I think the software update in the works will bring the 2014 to 2013 functionality

Did I miss something? Where did you hear there was a software update in the works? That would be great, the MP3/USB functionnality is probably what agravates me the most about the CX-5. Still in general, the best car I ever owned!

Back