Which turbo kit?

Kooldino

MOTM Winner Jan '09
Authorized Vendor
Contributor
:
MP3
Dunno whether I should get the BEGI kit or the Stage 2 M2 Performance kit. Of couse, I'm gonna wait for the dynos, but...

M2 Advantages
Upgraded CPU for safety (instead of running FMU)
Bigger injectors (safety)
newer T-28 turbo
Good headroom (upgradable)

BEGI advantages
Price! (~$1500 cheaper)
Comes with boost guage
The "Corky Bell" name
Great FMIC design (minimal pressure drop)
Possibly upgradeable (eventally Flyin' Miata guy will be doing CPU upgrades, but stock injectors+FMU will probably not be good for more than 8psi safely)

Of course, I have to wait to see dynos...but WShade's car looks pretty quick. BTW, WShade...did you get a new clutch too? What kind?

So what do you guys think?

It depends on what you think of M2...I mean after all, we were getting the inside line thanks to THXBrett, but then something happened and that is no longer the case.

We have no idea when their kit will be ready and what it will really have in it.

If you want something now, and your choices are M2 and BEGI, then I'd got with BEGI. If you can wait, then wait and see what M2 really comes out with...

Just curious...why do you guys like the corky kit so much? Methinks it's because you've seen it working before...

B.E.G.I. Overview
The design and development of forced induction systems is rather a specific engineering exercise. That specific exercise is a long way short of the science requirement to put a lander on mars. However, the engineering background and experience of the design office is a critical factor toward producing a trouble free and powerful forced induction system.

B.E.G.I. is perhaps the only engineering firm offering both turbocharger and supercharger systems. There are always functional circumstances which favor one method over the other, yet the choice is seldom absolutely clear cut. The choice can be further complicated by the selection of the specific blower type and make regardless of whether it's a turbo or a supercharger. For example, when maximum power is the most important consideration, the turbo is virtually always the best choice, with the centrifugal blower second. When cost is the prime consideration, the turbo or the centrifugal blower will stand out as strong candidates. Sometimes one selects a mechanism based on rules, for example the Roots in top fuel racing. It is our responsibility to sort through the engineering confusion and marketing circumstances and select the best tool for the specific job. That's just one of the areas where the background and experience factors allow BEGI to create the BEST forced induction hardware available today.

Experience & Background

Bell Engineering's Designer, Corky Bell, has twenty six years of experience with forced induction design. Corky has earned an engineering degree from Texas A&M, and authored two books on forced induction "Maximum Boost" and "Maximum Power". Corky also has designed over 90 forced induction systems, of which over 15 are currently in production.

BEGI has enjoyed an excellent relationship with the automotive media. BEGI and it's product line Cartech Racing Products, have been featured in over 120 magazine articles in the past twenty years. Writers and road testers have repeatedly commented favorably about our engineering capability and the craftsmanship of the components.

System Design
The greatest effort is spent determining the equipment needed to maintain a tolerant air charge temperature level through the engine. This is of supreme importance as it is heat in the intake air charge that causes engine knock (i.e.. ping, detonation). Every item that gathers or expels heat must be examined for efficiency. As an example, the blower makes heat, intercoolers expel heat, compression ratios raise heat, and fuel quantity expels heat. This one specific design point is discussed to indicate the thoroughness with which our systems are engineered. All other area, such as fuel controls, and component durability, receive similar attention until all design facets are in proper order. Engineering is the key element to performance and safety.

I originally stated corky because I know it works..........I am not familiar with m2. But if there kit is good and they end up with the ballbearing turbo along with the upgraded ECU I would definatly say M2. I just saw the corky kit and I was not impressed at all. It striks me as a mass made turbo kit with one thing in mind...cost savings. The intercooler and placement were very akward. The manifold......uh well I rather not say:rolleyes:. The whole kit looks like kinda cheapy. But if you do buy a kit you will be guarenteed great instructions, support and a working system. Would I buy it?? NO!!! Bt for a beginner or start out kit I think its good. I would just wait for m2's offering:eek:

Ouch ! :eek: You cut me deep Spool , you cut me deep.

IMHO for me right now I went with the BEGI kit because of simplicity (or so I thought). I plan to upgrade alot to this kit DOWN the road (check the future upgrades) but for now I just needed some umph!! Right now I don't have alot of time to play w/ this car myself but I will someday, so right now the BEGI was just the way for me to go.

Last edited:
Ouch ! You cut me deep Spool , you cut me deep.
Hey Port I am sorry man. I did not mean it that way:(

Like I said before the kit is a great starting kit for someone that does not want to deal with the pain of fabricating all there s***. Plus I know Corky is famous for his instructions and his stuff lasts. It just does not have all the nice stuff. But hey for 3 grand you get alot of stuff. That is one hell of a deal guys.

I was really dissapointed in the intercooler, and the plumbing could have done more efficiently especialy from the man himself.

But If I never turboed a car before, I would have bought his kit too.

So, Port dont worry you gotta a good kit. I checked your future mods...Bigger intercooler, Spool mani...........Now you talkin baby;)

Note:Sorry if I offended anyone with the BEGI kit. Just stating the negative aspects on the kit. Just like all things you buy there will be atleast one negative aspect i.e. quality, form or price:)

I saw the kit too spoolin and I thought the same thing. I would have loved it about 2 years ago before I knew better. As soon as I get my turbo running we can line em up Port hehe. I should be done by Jan. Gonna go with the Spool manifold and Killer 16G baby!

People should not forget about the TriPoint kit. It uses the newer variable vane Aerodyne. My understanding is that the variable vane is newer technology that allows for fast spoolups and relatively high boost levels. In my search at google groups, people mainly had good things to say about this *newer* aerodyne unit! Also, the front mount intercooler is a plus! So many choices. And they say the aftermarket is weak for us. Its further along at this point than I thought it would be!

DooMer_MP3 said:
People should not forget about the TriPoint kit. It uses the newer variable vane Aerodyne. My understanding is that the variable vane is newer technology that allows for fast spoolups and relatively high boost levels. In my search at google groups, people mainly had good things to say about this *newer* aerodyne unit! Also, the front mount intercooler is a plus! So many choices. And they say the aftermarket is weak for us. Its further along at this point than I thought it would be!
First of all, let's not forget spoolin himself. He's being so nice talking about other sets, and there's www.spool-turbo.com's kit for 1400 for folks on the site. But yes, variable-vane tech is something that several companies have messed with, and for many years now (maaaany years). If the Aerodyne has made it work, well then go for it! It combines the fast spoolups of smaller turbos with the ultimate "oomph" of larger turbos. (16g and a T3/T4, kinda).

Back