Which short shifter is best?

i have the b&m short shifter and i love it, just to try new stuff i bought a megan racing one for my wife and will be putting that in mid feb

Last edited:
kb1

kb2

kb3

kb4

which short shifter lets you have a 32oz cup from tacobell in your driver's side cup holder AND be in 1st gear?

gimpo2 said:
which short shifter lets you have a 32oz cup from tacobell in your driver's side cup holder AND be in 1st gear?

This is a very good question, I will hold off buying a SS until I know this answer :)

zerorossi said:
my b&m leaves plenty of room, but my MSP shift knob dropped the height another half inch

thats all? i thought it would have dropped it more than that?

-R

Rally Ninja said:
This is a very good question, I will hold off buying a SS until I know this answer :)

I just got a large cup from subway and it fits with the KB shifter with plenty of clearance. The cub rubs against the ac controlls though

i have the b&m and it first great i can fit a big ass drink from taco bell in there with no problems. although usually i put drinks like that beside me inbetween the middle console and the seatbelt buckle fits so snuggly

I have a couple questions for you all. I have a B&M short shifter and it has alot of play when in gear, does the kartboy bushings help with this? and also is there any knobs that will make even a lil shorter. i got the shifter for christmas so i am gonna use it but i would like it a lil shorter.

travas

I personally have a B&M ss w/ kartboy bushings and love the feel. I've driven a protege w/ kartboy lever and it's very stiff. I guess it all depends on how comfortable you are with shifting a stiffer feeling short shifter.

yellowracer5 said:
I have a couple questions for you all. I have a B&M short shifter and it has alot of play when in gear, does the kartboy bushings help with this? and also is there any knobs that will make even a lil shorter. i got the shifter for christmas so i am gonna use it but i would like it a lil shorter.

travas
yes- cuz the stock bushings are softer rubber, and the kartboy bushings are urethane... i have the kartboy shifter/bushings combo and its great for short tight shifts.

To me, my stock MSP shifter is three different flavors of messed up:

*Sloppy / mushy feeling
*A little too short (I'm a tall dude)
*The knob looks kewl but doesn't fit in my hand well and feels too cold these recent mornings (I'm a wimp)

After pm'ing theMAN, I headed over to CorkSport and picked up a B&M shifter, a leather Mazdaspeed knob, CorkSport bronze oil bushings and Kartboy shifter bushings. I'm hoping these items improve my above issues and I'll post the results.

gimpo2 said:

TWM works just fine for that, I do it all the time.

Personally, I love mine, but it took a month or two to get use to (had it for about 9 or so now). Now I have trouble driving anything else. Drove my GF's Corolla this weekend and it took me a good 5 min to re-adjust to my P5. It's a bit stiff yes, but you can definitely feel where you're at in the shift (unlike my GF's Corolla).

Only thing I don't like is the spacers for the heat shield are about 1/8th inch too short. I still get some rattling of the bottom of the shifter off the heat shield when in 1st and 3rd.

I just installed a kartboy short shifter and I like it alot. Getting the old bushing out was a little tricky though; I ended up just cutting it out. Now I can't wait to get the short shifter boot I ordered from horsepowerfreaks.

markp5 said:
I just installed a kartboy short shifter and I like it alot. Getting the old bushing out was a little tricky though; I ended up just cutting it out. Now I can't wait to get the short shifter boot I ordered from horsepowerfreaks.

man, i got my kartboy combo last week and installed today! had to cut the old bushing out and will get my new boot probably in a week +. love the kartboy.......

kartboy2.jpeg

-R

Back