which intake?

rev

K i want to know which intake is best or has the most gains i dont care about price and i sont want a crappy short ram. thanks for any input.

Hi Welcome to the board. You don't tell us which Protege you own? But also, there really isn't a "Best" intake. Search for "intakes" "CAI" "Injen" THere are about a million threads on intakes on the board and you can find the information easily enough.

ya i havent bought my protege yet i havent decided which one i want yet but im leaning toward an mp3. im also helping my cuz with his he has a mp5. thanks for ur reply

HP gains from intakes are normally small even compared between different types. Techincally the CAI should provide more of a gain, however a SRI can give just as close.
The biggest gain you will get is throttle response/rpm, not really HP gains.
Injen makes a decent CAI that alot of people here seem to use with good results.

While others use the SRI ebays since they are only about $40 (US).

Yeah what REMillers said. If the only reason you want an intake is for HP gains then you are wasting you are probably wasting your money. It all about throttle response and a little more tourqe in the higher bands. Now if you were to get an intake, header and exaust then you might see around 12-15HP gain.

Take into consideration that we have the FS-DE engine, and it does not respond well to NA mods. You will not, under any circumstances, be able to build an NA monster and still have money in your pocket for gas. :D

The most HP you could ever really hope for is about 20 to 25 HP, and that's leaning on the generous side.

Standard NA modifications to achieve this would include:

Intake, exhaust, header, camshafts, high comp. pistons ... etc.

Adding a high flow cat and swapping ECU's with an MP3 would squeeze out a few more horses as well.

Good luck ! :)

ya if i get an mp3 im planning on getting a turbo kit right away would that be a good i dea or would i have to modify the exhaust system first

i have to be fast my friends has an amazing wrx and moy other freind has a gti 1.8T and there both moded and fast as hell i cant just be left in the dust :S

Forget about straight line speed/accleration with an MP3 to hang with those cars, my roommate has a WRX with a lot of mods. But I can catch up to him through the twisties. :D

Everyone forgive me for saying this but:

Maybe you should look at the Neon SRT 4 - it's supposed to be a WRX killer.

Back