Which Intake

neenee6988

:
2000 Mazda Protege LX
I would like to know what intakes some of you have on your 1.6? I have a 2000 LX 1.6L with a manual. So far, I've only found 2 intakes. The Injen RD6050 and a Ractive Intake. The Injen is pretty spendy, but I know it's a lot better intake. I'm considering the Ractive for now because I am short on cash and have other projects too. I'm pretty sketchy about it, because it doesn't even show what motor it is for on the website, just for 99-03 Protege. I don't want to have to modify the crap out of the car to get it to fit. Does anyone have this intake on their car, and was it easy to install? Any info on intakes would be great.

Thanks

Mike

You need to make sure the Injen you want is for the 1.6 liter. Good luck with the MAF sensor hesitation, you'll need it.

I just put an Injen on my 1.6L. So far I haven't had any hesitation problems and I've noticed quite a difference, especially in 3rd gear and out on the highway.

I removed both intake resonator boxes on my 1.6L. I've heard about problems with the aftermarket intakes on the 1.6 so I just decided to modify the stock one. It sounds much nicer now and I *think* it pulls a bit harder. Could be just the sound though. Isn't that how it always goes with intakes though? :) The sound is half the fun of a new intake.

Anyway I'm just going to stick with this setup and get a drop-in K&N filter.

^^^so it can **** up 2 MAF sensors? thats what it did to me ... and it hesitates :). Maybe i just have bad luck though :( if your serious about getting some power outta the 1.6l just dont do anything till you can buy the hiboost turbo kit.

if its just for the sound the injen is nice ... and i havent had any problems in a long time so i would say injen ... but good luck.

Injen intake sucked for me. hesitation out the ass and went through 2 maf. the increase in power is so minimal I couldn't tell the difference.
I did like the way it looked and the "pssst pssst" sound

Drackonn said:
^^^so it can **** up 2 MAF sensors? thats what it did to me ... and it hesitates :). Maybe i just have bad luck though :( if your serious about getting some power outta the 1.6l just dont do anything till you can buy the hiboost turbo kit.

if its just for the sound the injen is nice ... and i havent had any problems in a long time so i would say injen ... but good luck.
never had the injen, i went threw 2 maf sensors with the ebay one.. so i guess they are the same..

Witchdoktor said:
Injen intake sucked for me. hesitation out the ass and went through 2 maf. the increase in power is so minimal I couldn't tell the difference.
I did like the way it looked and the "pssst pssst" sound
I actually noticed a considerable gain in power the day I put the stock airbox back on. (eek2)

I had both on my car. I had the ebay one and the Injen one, but sucked. MAF sensor hesitation. Thought my Maf was messed up and now i have an extra maf and out about 75 bucks. I recommend staying with the stock intake and putting in a K&N drop in filter. I noticed that you have more power with the stock setup.

Why not buy a K&N air filter and then modifty your stock piping before MAF and air filter a bit. Like instead going with the huge stupid useless air box above the raditor, re-route it to the far right side and a down pipe to reach behind the head lights... Thats how I did mine, spent like $60 total including piping and K&N ait filter.. The car is more responsive at 3k-5k RPM, feels like it pull slighty harder. As far as the sound goes, little bit louder than before...

Thanks for your input everyone. I found an Injen intake on ebay for less than $200 shipped. It should be in around the 1st of August. I will let you know if I have any hesitation, I'm gonna try like hell to seal up the MAF sensor pretty well. I also got some NGK V-Power platinum plugs and NGK wires. Hopefully that should help the "fun to drive" factor. Also this paycheck some 17" TSW Catalunyas will be on their way wrapped in Nitto tires.

thats not the problem with the cai, i got mine to seal perfect, u will throw the code p171, bank one to lean, the cai puts to much air into the engine, maf cant compensate for that air, resulting in hesitation, if you do get it, block off half of the intake tune under the filter, to restrect it, i bet the hesitation will go away..

When you get a CAI and block off half of the incoming air, then what is the difference between staying stock and putting on a $200 injen CAI?

shaneMazda2000P said:
thats not the problem with the cai, i got mine to seal perfect, u will throw the code p171, bank one to lean, the cai puts to much air into the engine, maf cant compensate for that air, resulting in hesitation, if you do get it, block off half of the intake tune under the filter, to restrect it, i bet the hesitation will go away..
How long after install did it take to throw p171? I had ram air and didnt throw a cel but noticed hesitation.

neenee6988 said:
I would like to know what intakes some of you have on your 1.6? I have a 2000 LX 1.6L with a manual. So far, I've only found 2 intakes. The Injen RD6050 and a Ractive Intake. The Injen is pretty spendy, but I know it's a lot better intake. I'm considering the Ractive for now because I am short on cash and have other projects too. I'm pretty sketchy about it, because it doesn't even show what motor it is for on the website, just for 99-03 Protege. I don't want to have to modify the crap out of the car to get it to fit. Does anyone have this intake on their car, and was it easy to install? Any info on intakes would be great.

Thanks

Mike
Injen is what I would buy if I had the money. Other than that I would make my own. If I really had money I would get the HI BOOST turbo.

00zmde said:
How long after install did it take to throw p171? I had ram air and didnt throw a cel but noticed hesitation.
threw a cell when i would drive on the highway, not in town, but always noticed a hesitation..

Back