• Cpe

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Ghl

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Borla

Votes: 4 20.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ive heard both the cobb tbe and cpe tbe i forget how many resonators on the cpe one.

cobb was quieter and had a bit deeper tone

cpes was nice, a bit loud and got raspy when pushed hard

your dp will greatly effect the sound coming out the tailpipe. i just installed a cobb cbe a few weeks ago, and its actually quieter than stock. 0 drone too. im hoping a corksport racepipe will liven it up a bit

8.5MS3, what are your referring to when you say "Cobb cbe" are you talking about the dp? I wasnt aware that they made a full cbe.

IMO the cobb dp is louder than stock

I was torn between the CPE and HKS, I thought both sounded good. I saw some pics of the HKS and was sold on it.

The HKS will also come out on an angle.

4048022680_20518dfb9a.jpg

4048023572_bcba076253.jpg

4015549544_9207f8f8a2.jpg

8.5MS3, what are your referring to when you say "Cobb cbe" are you talking about the dp? I wasnt aware that they made a full cbe.

IMO the cobb dp is louder than stock

They do make a catback. IIRC it goes for somewhere around $700. It is hard to find though.

Edit: found a few through google, but it appears they are discontinued.....gee, big surprise there.

Last edited:
yes they made one, its since been discontinued, but may be coming back along with other cobb parts.

You can find used ones every once in a while.....thats how i got mine

COB571100.jpg

yes they made one, its since been discontinued, but may be coming back along with other cobb parts.

You can find used ones every once in a while.....thats how i got mine

COB571100.jpg

oh ok...
so your saying cobbs dp+cbe is quieter than stock?

id love for cobb to make their FMIC again.

no

im saying that a cbe with a stock dp/tp will sound different than a cbe with a non stock dp/rp (in different configurations, it will change as well)

the cobb cbe with the stock dp/rp is quieter than stock.

cobb has a redesigned FMIC coming out

IMHO the Borla sounds the best. I like the price of the HKS, but the Borla sounds deep and ballsy like you are looking for. At WOT the HKS can get a little "frappy" with a DP. And nobody wants a to sound anything remotely like those "hack-job fart cans" from Pep Boys. You really can't go wrong with either one though. Price of the HKS, sound of the Borla

I have the Borla and absolutely love it. :)

Some of the power parts we have had in the past ARE coming back. The FMIC has been redesigned and is in the final stages of kitting and instructions. We are looking forward to the release of this kit. We have the CBE scheduled for redesign, but the current priority is low. The timing on the redesign is going to be based on what the MAZDASPEED community needs, as well as what our other platforms need.

^^from cobb on the "big bad forum"

I just got my HKS on last week, sounds awesome. And the angle isn't bad, it's completely parallel with the angle of the rear bumper.

How much of the HKS exhaust is angled? I love the sound of it, but not feeling the "ricey" angled look.

Angled is "ricey"? I think you will find that most European factory and custom exhaust systems on very high dollar cars have a slight angle to the tip to follow the contour of the rear bumper/valance. This produces a "finished" appearance that many of us do like. And it is actually less obvious and therefore more stealthy, IMHO.

But, whether it's "ricey" or not, certainly go with what you like. It is your car and you are entitled to have it look the way you want. But it might not be appropriate to suggest that an angled tip is "ricey."

I put a single wall Magnaflow 3.5 inch tip (downsizing from the stock 4 incher so as to be more stealthy and to blend with the rear valance) on my very high flowing stock CBE (flows better than the K04 turbo can max push through my catless dp/rp). It does have a slight angle. Photo attached. It lookes "burnt" because it is stainless, single wall and has the change in color due to the very high residual temps that far back from running catless. Run catless with a single wall, unrolled tip and it will turn that color.

Squared off looks great. Angled ain't "ricey" though.

Attachments

• burnt tip.jpg
    burnt tip.jpg
    507.8 KB · Views: 100
yea since putting in my TP n cbe im shocked how hot my exhaust tip gets. i guess thats why it doesnt protrude from the bumper, to prevent burning ppls legs haha

Back