Where Is Mazda Headed Next?

We will know for certain by the end of this month.

I think for the USA, I could see the CX-4 replacing the 3 all together. The model line up would be:

CX-3
CX-4
CX-5
CX-9.

They should dump the 6 and make a MX-6 out of it. :)

I think for the USA, I could see the CX-4 replacing the 3 all together. The model line up would be:

CX-3
CX-4
CX-5
CX-9.

Nooo... they should keep the 6 (I know it's a dying market). It is a beautiful family sports sedan that just needs a slightly more powerful engine and maybe AWD.

That new photo showing what looks like a hatchback... could be the new Mazda3 hatchback, or an updated CX-4 design, or maybe a Mazda6 wagon. Can't wait for October 23.

CX-3
CX-4
CX-5
CX-9.

Hell no, there is still a market for hatches and sedans here in North America.

That would only cover the hatchback version of the 3 though, no?

Do people just not want sedans anymore?

Will depend on general wagon sales there for Mazda to even contemplate offering the 6 wagon

Last edited:
Nooo... they should keep the 6 (I know it's a dying market). It is a beautiful family sports sedan that just needs a slightly more powerful engine and maybe AWD.

That new photo showing what looks like a hatchback... could be the new Mazda3 hatchback, or an updated CX-4 design, or maybe a Mazda6 wagon. Can't wait for October 23.

Yes, I was actually joking (put the smily face there!) but was thinking if they made the 6 into a real sports sedan with a the 2.5T and more aggressive all the way around.

Yes, I was actually joking (put the smily face there!) but was thinking if they made the 6 into a real sports sedan with a the 2.5T and more aggressive all the way around.

If memory serves - current Mazda 6 wagon has less rear leg room than 6 sedan as well as CX-5 (for all those people who find this important)

If memory serves - current Mazda 6 wagon has less rear leg room than 6 sedan as well as CX-5 (for all those people who find this important)

Yeah, but I am thinking MX-6 not CX-6. Like the Miata is the MX-5 and the sports sedan could be the MX-6. No wagon needed. The CX-4 fits that bill.

Yeah, but I am thinking MX-6 not CX-6. Like the Miata is the MX-5 and the sports sedan could be the MX-6. No wagon needed. The CX-4 fits that bill.

Just like the old days (wink)

image.png

Update, Mazda is revealinf their new designs October 23. Saw these pictures and the announcement on Facebook. It appears that they are ditching the kodo front fender line for good, but the new sheetmetal looks very expensive and the proportions of that second image look rather RWD indeed. The Mazda 3 hatch looks like a refined, mature version of the current one. The future seems to be looking up for the brand. :)

14ms607.jpg

f0uloy.jpg

You cannot tell if they are ditching the Kodo front end at all from these photos. If anything, look for the new Mazda3 concept to share the nose of the 2017 CX-5. Its an evolutionary progression of the original Kodo design. Mazda stated this long ago as their new designs will be an evolutionary form of Kodo.

What I see, from the Mazda3 concept shown on other sites, is a longer hood and sleeker rear end. That means less interior space and less cargo room (see 2016+ CX-9). Form over function most likely.

Back