Wheelmax - What tires they give you in combos?

batmang

Dunna dunna dunna....
:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
Just wondering, what kinda tires does wheelmax give you with the combo's wheel/tire buy? Do you get to pick what brand? Or do they jsut give you cheap tires like kumo.

they usually give you nankangs. also, they charge more for mounting and balancing that they don't really tell you about in the ads.

hrmm, are those decent tires? i aint got too much money, so i guess i could use them for a while and just get new tires later.... or do they really suck?

they're all right. if you are planning on looks alone, the nankangs seem to be great for the price. if you plan on running hard, you might want to invest a little more on kumhos. almost as cheap, but a little stickier. don't expect them to last more than 20K miles though. if you need a shop to lower your car, let me know. ben down at ultraperformance can put in springs in less than an hour and a half. what else are you planning on doing to the car?

not sure yet, but i do want to lower it once i get the wheels, thats for sure. i havent ever really been in " the scene ", ive never had money for it, nor a good car. finally got something i want to work with, so im new to all this. i know very little, so i could use all the help i could get. for now, wheels and coil overs. later on i want to look into intake, exhaust, misc other things with the interior.... i want the kartboy knob/lever/bushings.

we really should meet up sometime, i could use some insight.

if they are delievering it to u.. **** wheel max. if u pick it up yourself, i hope u can stand your ground because they are full of s***. "im sorry sir, there is no air shipping to hawaii from florida". HONESTLY that is fucken bulls***. sorry dont mean to get all crazy, but yah... they charge $250 for shipping from florida and it took me MONTHS to get the rims. by the time i got them ($1500), local shops had them for $1000. i was so angry... but yah. go with another company. we had a flame about this a while back :) and i dont mean to scare u hehe peace - chris

hrmmm, whats a good cheap online wheel place? i only know of wheelmax.

www.whalentire.com

i got my 17" konig holes with 215/40 series kumho tires mounted, balanced, shipped, and with a set of locknuts for 942 when they first came out..you have the option to upgrade to different tires as well. :D

might be cheaper now.

I used WWW.SPEEDANDSTYLE.COM, they were awesome, shipping is always free, and they even let me haggle with them a little on the extra charges, they normally charge extra (over ad price) for mounting/balancing, but I got it for free. They also publish most wheel weights.

They have killer sale prices on some stuff too, so if you are not too picky on exactly the brand or style, you can get 17"'s with tires for like $599 (REV or Arospeed usually), but from what I could tell, all thier prices are great. They have Motegi 17"'s on sale now for $699 with tires and shipping. I know they will let you pick the tires, but you will probably pay a little extra if you dont want the nankangs. Thats what we got, they have great grip, but ride is a little hard. I also wish we had gotten a larger tire... the package price was for 195/40, they are a little too small for the Celica, I think we should have ordered 205's.

Tire Rack and Discount Tire Direct are also real good, but they are both very expensive compared to the others.

wow, thanks for all the feedback guys, im bookmarking these right now. thanks alot.

hey batmang, you might want to steer clear of the coilovers unless you are getting the teins or JIC's. ground control and skunk both are known for their REALLY bad ride coupled with a REALLY bad popping/clunking/not-right-sounding noise coming from various corners of the car. i say get a good set of springs, either eibach, h&r, tein, etc. etc. and then get the tokico illuminas when the stocks blow. otherwise, you'll hate it. look up skuck coilovers or ground control coilovers and you'll see what i'm talking about.

about meeting up... once i get my car registered, i'm gonna meet up with logan on 6th and tucson. he works at the bike shop there. i'll let you know more as soon as i know more. also, before it gets too dangerous to do, we should do a night run over gates pass. take grant all the way up, swing a left towards saguaro west, then left again at the T towards old tucson. ALL TWISTIES! then one of these days when i have the cash, we should all go up to mount lemmon and enjoy some pie at the cafe.

Yes do not go to wheelmax!! Actually if you do a search on here and on the other forum you'll see how bad the service was. I went so far as to almost take them to court. When they realized I was serious about my threat, they gave in.

BTW I have Ground Control Coil Overs and although they drop the car dramatically, I get the clunking noise that Tonka describes.

yeah, after reading those experiences, i think ill steer clear from wheelmax even if the prices seem good. thanks for all the links and feedback guys, really appreciate it. helps asking before buying since im new to this stuff. as for coil overs, i know tein is a great company, but also very expensive. im not to sure about JIC, ive never looked into them, but i will.

i would like to meet up and go for a drive, i have yet to take my car out for a real drive. looking forward to it.

batmang,

look up rishie (forum name is ARD MP5). he owns one of the best shops for the protege in california. he has wheels galore. and since he owns a p5, he can tell you which wheels will fit for sure and which will rub. he'll also give you club pricing. tell him how much you are willing to spend and he'll give you a set of wheels and tires. and he's SUPER nice. plus he has all the other performance parts you are looking for. intake, exhaust, springs, etc. etc.

That's right!!!! How could I forget about AutoRnd!!! I've heard nothing but GREAT things about them :)

RyanJayG said:
I agree... I used Speed and Style too... they were very helpful (thumb)

Cool... my fiancee has the same wheels as you on her Celica, except 17"...

Do you have a problem with the lugnuts they included rusting on the inside surface where the socket fits in?? This has gotten real bad for us, I need to get some new lugnuts...

Back