Wheel spacers - Good or Bad?

seakrait

:
2003 mazda proteg5
so i've heard many people on both sides of the issue after doing a search on the website but no one has specifically addressed exactly why they are bad... can someone enlighten me?

i was intending to get wheel spacers to push my stock wheels outwards a little more so that they're more flush with the fenders. i intend to keep my stock wheels (i'll be powdercoating them). i am also running on eibach pro-kit springs with stock shocks.

how much is too much or should i not do it all all?

looking for opinions with reasoning... thanks!

:)

They look pretty good on my roommate's Jetta:

231003-new%20rear%20angle.jpg

H&R 5mmF/20mmR

I think 5mm might look good on our cars because we have a small fender flare, but I'm wondering if running 17x7.5 rims will do the same thing.

yeah, but i'm going to stick with running on our 16"x6" wheels... :)

so, any negative opinions with reasons?

Last edited:
You should be fine with the spacers, as long as you install them with longer wheel studs to make sure you get the right amount of 'hold' on them.

a longer wheel stud is not always necessary. As long as you buy a decent quality spacer you should be fine

but what about all that talk on wheel bearings crapping out due to increased stress, etc. etc. etc.? hmmm...

and it seems that my wheels right now are quite tucked into the fender well meaning that'll i'll need/want a thicker spacer (10mm+)... i guess that means i'll need the spacers with the replacement studs then, eh?

ok take my word for this...

i know this from a lot of experience....

wheels spacers are safe only if you use the bolt in spacers...

if you do get spacers that are not bolt in... make sure you get longer studs....

you need quite a bit of thread engagement for your lug nuts...

there is a HIGH risk of your wheels falling off if you do not do this...

which is why discount tire does NOT work on any car with spacers... b/c if and when a wheel falls off they do not want to be responsible for stupid people...

there have been many cases ive seen with wheels falling off on cars with spacers....

make SURE that you get the bolt in spacers or longer studs

if you have any questions ... feel free to ask...

It is much safer to use bolt on spacers rather that just solid spacers. It will cost you more but you will save time because you dont have remove your rotor and install new longer studs. I tried this thing about a year and a half ago. I took them off because i was told many bad stories. The bolt on spacers i was using were not the best of quality so it worried me. I think i will get some good ones like H&R and give it a try again. Its a great idea with the stock wheels cuz it makes the car look much more aggressive and I thought it gave it the illusion of it being lower.

Yes definately bolt ons are the way to go. Thats what I use. you need a special key to take of the special bolts that come with it. But its solid.

i dont sell spacers on my website because adapters work so much better, only problem is the most narrow you can get them is 1.3"

KYMP5 said:
i dont sell spacers on my website because adapters work so much better, only problem is the most narrow you can get them is 1.3"

adaptors? what adaptors? more info please.. :)

yeah, i'm leaning towards the bolt-in spacers as well...

Bolt on spacers or adapters come in a range of sizes. They start at 1/2" thick and can go to 3" thick is what i have seen. I had 3/4" on and it was just right. This is defiantly the size i will go for again when getting good ones. I cant remember if our wheels are 5/100 or 5/112 or 5/114.3. can someone tell me?

Stock P5 wheels are 5x114.3.

Anytone know where to get some good adapters, for not a lot of moolah?

I've been thinking about getting these too. I hear H&R is a good brand, do you guys have suggestions as to which brand is perferable?

Back