What's the easiest way to determine a CX-5 has the Tech package?

Neil22

:
Mazda CX-9
I'm shopping for a 2014/15 CX-5 GT with Tech package and was curious what was the easiest way to determine if the car has it or not. I was under the impression that if the "AFS OFF" button on the left side is there that the car has all the other Tech features, i.e. Lane Departure Warning, Smart City Braking, Rear Backup cross traffic warning (not sure of the name there) and everything else included.

Thanks for any tips.

I'm shopping for a 2014/15 CX-5 GT with Tech package and was curious what was the easiest way to determine if the car has it or not. I was under the impression that if the "AFS OFF" button on the left side is there that the car has all the other Tech features, i.e. Lane Departure Warning, Smart City Braking, Rear Backup cross traffic warning (not sure of the name there) and everything else included.
For 2014~2015 Mazda CX-5 GT, "AFS OFF" button; navigation system SD card slot underneath these "TCS OFF"、"TPMS SET"、"BSM" buttons; and the bigger blacken-out sensor area on the top-center windshield; HomeLink buttons on the rearview mirror; are the easy indications of having the optional Technology Package. Keep in mind that "AFS OFF" button has been eliminated and moved to the setup screen in the center console; and the navigation system SD card slot is moved to the center cubby since 2016 MY.

Of course LDWS, Lane Departure Warning System, is only available in i-ActivSense Package which is an option starting from 2016 MY.

I just learned something. Thanks for sharing.
Another difference where I just noticed on the other day from my friend's 2016.5 GT without Tech is his fuel gauge is section-bar type; but the fuel gauge on my 2016 GT with Tech is simulated analog needle-type.

I have the tech package on my 2014 CX 5. It doesn't have the GPS. According to the dealer, that is an extra feature.

Sent from my Verizon Note 4 using TapTalk

Drive slow)under 17 mph) and try to hit somebody. If the car doesn't stop, you don't have the Tech Package. (mj)

Drive slow)under 17 mph) and try to hit somebody. If the car doesn't stop, you don't have the Tech Package. (mj)

I think the correct test is that if it does stop, it does have the Tech Package but if it does not, it might or might not have the package :)
However, it seems you can get the i-Active Sense package without the Tech package.

However, it seems you can get the i-Active Sense package without the Tech package.
No, Technology Package is required to get optional i-ActivSense Package on 2016/2016.5 GT.

I tried to get a picture but too bright outside.

Look for the large pod around rear view mirror. There should be three separate lense looking pieces. One for headlights (low light), another for automatic wipers and the third for Smartcity Brake Support.

Well, your Mazda dealer was wrong. Even for 2014 CX-5, Navigation System is part of optional Technology Package!

2014 Mazda CX-5 Brochure
The dealer looked up my Vin number. . I have the touch screen radio, bose system and moon roof. They told me that the GPS was optional. I tried to get them to put in the GPS.

Sent from my Verizon Note 4 using TapTalk

Look for the large pod around rear view mirror. There should be three separate lense looking pieces. One for headlights (low light), another for automatic wipers and the third for Smartcity Brake Support.
Actually for GT with Tech, you only have 2 sensors there (saw them while replacing the cracked windshield). One is infrared rain sensor for automatic wipers, and it also serves as light sensor for automatic headlight control. The second is laser sensor for Smart City Brake Support (SCBS) and Smart Brake Support (SBS) if you have i-ActivSense. The third empty slot is for Forward Sensing Camera (FSC) used for i-ActivSense Package such as High Beam Control (HBC), Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS), and Smart Brake Support (SBS).

Last edited:
The dealer looked up my Vin number. . I have the touch screen radio, bose system and moon roof. They told me that the GPS was optional. I tried to get them to put in the GPS.
So your CX-5 Touring has Moonroof / Bose Package, but not Touring Technology Package which has Navigation System, HID headlights with AFS, and other goodies. For Touring Tech Package it mainly adds Rain-Sensing Wipers comparing to GT Tech Package. See minnesotaart's post above with his window sticker although it's a GT.

I guess I don't see why you don't have Nav unless you just have Bose Moonroof package as shown here in the brochure. If you have the slot on the lower left of the dashboard, then you should have Nav. and if you do, then all you need is the SD card.

From what I could tell when I was shopping a month ago:
- round button on front door handles for advanced keyless entry on a 2014 means Tech package; this was added as standard on 2015 GTs
- if the headlights on a 2013-2015 have distinct silver-black-silver concentric rings around the bulb housing, that indicates the auto-leveling feature that's part of the tech package

Edit: pre-2016, auto-dimming mirror with Homelink buttons was in the Tech package though I wouldn't rely on that as it's easy to swap in a different mirror.

Thanks for any tips.

Last edited:
Back