What's the best WET/DRY traction tire?

MSP-4-ME

:
2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3
I'm looking for some new tires for my RX8 rims and need to get some good Wet traction tires without scraficing Dry traction completely. I don't drive in the snow but do get a lot of rain up here in the Pacific Northwest.

The stock Bridgestones are really crappy in heavy rain and if the streets are wet, I break them loose all the time when I hammer down on the thottle.

I use to run Falken Azenis full time when I was autocrossing about 5 years ago on a MSP and I loved the Dry handling and Wet traction was better than I expected. Definitly better than the stock Bridgestones that came on that car. To be fair, the width of the Falkens was increased.

Anyone running some new Falkens? How is the wet handling?

Any suggestions on any other tire that would do great in both wet and dry conditions?

What size would you go with for the 18x8? I was thinking of 235/40.

Thanks for your input.(lol)

i hear the bfgoodrich kdw 2's are EXTREMELY good in the rain and dry... plus they look badass... my buddy had them on his turbo scion tc with 380whp and he said they were the best tire hes had, and he went through a lot...

the tread wear isnt too bad for a performance tire either and their relatively cheap... the downside is there pretty noisy i hear...

but those are def the tires im getting next for sure.

I have Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s on my 02 WRX. All round astonishing in the wet, you can almost (but not quite) disregard rain, on that car at least. They seem to be holding up wear wise too. Not cheap, but not horribly expensive either.

IIRC Tire Rack and I think Car and Driver (may have been Automobile) magazine liked them too.

A

I've got a set of Bridgestone Potenza S3 Pole position waiting for me. It really had a "pole position" reviews from pros & amateurs. I think I'll burn out my stock Potenza this summer to make the switch has soon as possible.

I'd personnaly trust a brand like bridgestone over smaller brand for a "BEST" dry/wet traction tire. They have alot more engineering force than smaller companies. Not saying they are not worth it, just logically think which company can really afford the best research for TOP NOTCH tires.

Peace!

I'm running Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S and they work well in rain/snow and are pretty close to the stock bridgestones in dry performance.

I have Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3s on my 02 WRX. All round astonishing in the wet, you can almost (but not quite) disregard rain, on that car at least. They seem to be holding up wear wise too. Not cheap, but not horribly expensive either.

IIRC Tire Rack and I think Car and Driver (may have been Automobile) magazine liked them too.

A

I had those on my S2000 - hands down the best tire I've ever owned. I completely agree with you, it was almost like the rain is not even there - and the S2000 is a light car and very temperamental in the rain, until I put these bad boys on. Tread wear was great, too. I think I got about 30,000 miles out of them (no track use).

Downside was they were/are about $230.00 per tire.

I'll put in a good word for the Kumho Ecsta SPT, though I've only had them for one season. I have no complaints about traction, and it handles water on the road like a champ--I went through an inch of standing water and didn't notice any lift or drag.

The only issue you'll ever have is the road has a deep, well-defined pattern (like when the road is being resurfaced!) that the center tread will want to follow...

A

I had those on my S2000 - hands down the best tire I've ever owned. I completely agree with you, it was almost like the rain is not even there - and the S2000 is a light car and very temperamental in the rain, until I put these bad boys on. Tread wear was great, too. I think I got about 30,000 miles out of them (no track use).

Downside was they were/are about $230.00 per tire.

These tires will spoil you. Dry is as good as the Azenis I had, but a softer side wall BUT fantastic wet performance. They can/will wear fast though. Still, totally worth the $$$. Next I'd have to say Michelin (sp) PS2s. Not as good in dry but great wet and they lasted a bit longer and were a little quiter.

I took a look at consumer reports as they did a test recently on Ultra-performance tires both summer and all season.

The Falken ZE912, Nitto Neo Gen ZR, and Yokohama Advan S4 did the best for all season.

For Summer the Michelin Pilot Sport PS2, Pirelli P-Zeros and BFG- g-force T/A KDW2 did the best.

If you have these tires, what is your experience or review of them. Bang for the buck the Falkens and Nittos are the best value.
ry%3D400

Last edited:
I know the that the Direzza Sports, Goodyear D3 & F1s, and bfgoodrich kdw 2's are great tires but they cost a lot of $$$ for the Brand name. Easily spend $200 to $280 a tire on them.

Are they really worth that much extra $$$ for about the same performance than some of the other less known tires? You can get the Nitto Neogen, Falken 912s,Kumhos for under $125.

Also, what tire size do you run if you have 18x8 rims? I can't decide between 225/45/18 or 235/40/18. I don't want them to look like rubber bands on the wheels but I don't want to much sidewall flex. If you have any of these sizes, please post pics.

Thanks guys.

I know the that the Direzza Sports, Goodyear D3 & F1s, and bfgoodrich kdw 2's are great tires but they cost a lot of $$$ for the Brand name. Easily spend $200 to $280 a tire on them.

Are they really worth that much extra $$$ for about the same performance than some of the other less known tires? You can get the Nitto Neogen, Falken 912s,Kumhos for under $125.

Also, what tire size do you run if you have 18x8 rims? I can't decide between 225/45/18 or 235/40/18. I don't want them to look like rubber bands on the wheels but I don't want to much sidewall flex. If you have any of these sizes, please post pics.

Thanks guys.

KDWs can be had for a decent price.... about $135 a tire if I remember correctly.

Back