whats street ported?

definitions will vary amongst folks..
but street porting in simple term is the enlargement of the ports in the motor...
this involves teardown.. benefit is an increase in power.. more in.. less restriction out
requires tuning..

A street port opens up the trailing edge of the intake ports and the leading edge of the exhaust port. It is thusly named a street port because it keeps the same amount of port overlap as a factory ported engine but increases flow at the same time. Like amp said there are varying definitions of a street port because you can port trailing and leading edges on intake and exhaust ports respectively and it is still considered a street port. The aim of the port is drivability, power, and emissions at rpms encountered on the street. Longevity is also considered because the openings are left within the lines of the various seals that form traces as the rotor turns in the chamber

Last edited:
what they said...cost, usually the cost of a basic rebuild and a little more for the porting...

bridge porting makes for a meaner idle though ;)

i've got an aggressively street ported 12A that i will be doing more stuff to in the spring if time and weather permit.

I <3 that noise. I won't tell you how hard it was not to hump 1 of the SpeedSource RX8s when they fired it up in the garage @ daytona

Bridgeporting involves adding a second port next to the original one and leaving a "bridge" of metal in the middle to keep the seals in place. This type of porting has a lot of power(250+ hp), but you get a crappy idle and passing emissions is almost impossible. Driveability also suffers.

bridgeport-rx7.jpg

Peripheral porting makes the intake ports like the exhaust ports. This is a race-type porting, as you could never get away with it on the street. This type of port gives a lot of power, easily in the 300-400 hp range normally aspirated.

emissions in stock rotaries is a pain in the butt anymore, depending on the state. rotaries work best without emissions controls regardless IMO.

lol so i been looking around for cars, the msp, msm, tII fc, now a n/a s5 GTUs, with rb headers(no cat), catback, and the rtek ecu.. bone stock engine.. the guy says it makes 170 to the wheels? is that possible? even with the tune??

lol so i been looking around for cars, the msp, msm, tII fc, now a n/a s5 GTUs, with rb headers(no cat), catback, and the rtek ecu.. bone stock engine.. the guy says it makes 170 to the wheels? is that possible? even with the tune??

Does he have dyno sheets?

its possible. rb headers make a HUGE difference on the N/A 13bs and the S5 had 160hp at the crank in stock form, so i dont dount his claims w. the open exhaust and ecu...

I'm not aware the rtek was ever for non turbos. I would probably look for something else other than an S5 gtu. That was the new name for the base model and it's not like you get all the weight reduction in the S4 package. If you see a gtu make sure it is the S5 gtus or it is an S4 GTU

I'm not aware the rtek was ever for non turbos. I would probably look for something else other than an S5 gtu. That was the new name for the base model and it's not like you get all the weight reduction in the S4 package. If you see a gtu make sure it is the S5 gtus or it is an S4 GTU
its a 89 gtus with the sticker and wheels that looks right... it comes with power steering, windows, and mirrors... no abs, gauge redlines at 8k... how can i tell that its a true gtus??

thanks for the help guys... i love these cars so much i wouldnt even care about the crappy gas mileage on the fc's lol

Latest posts

Back