what the hell is that noise?

racer x 3

:
mazda 3 s winning blue
ok guys, i'm gonna apologize in advance for the lengthy post....

i drive a 2004 mazda 3 s, ATX with manual shiftgate...it runs smooth, shifts smooth, idles smooth but there's an awkward noise.

it occurs when i suddenly BUT moderatly acclerate (1/4 to 1/2 throttle) especially in 2nd and third gears. i have noticed it only during two "trips" now in the past month. it is difficult to repeat on an incline and almost impossible to repeat on level ground. each time it lasts less than 2 seconds or so.

it is a chunky metallic sound. comparable in pitch/tone to two little wooden building blocks clunking together... or when you "clack" your tongue against the bottom of your mouth... but you would have to do that in rapid succession, faster than is humanly possible. the "volume" is comparable to about 3 or 4 on the stock radio. it reminds me most of a really quiet version of a medium sized utility truck taking off from a light or something or like a super quiet "jake brake"...... i engage in a stop light race probably 2 times a week... i NEVER "neutral drop" the thing and hardly ever really abuse it. sounds like it may be coming from the tranny or like it may be a loose "linkage" in the drive shaft or something......i''l try to elaborate more if there are any suspicions...

any thoughts?
thanks a lot guys,
-matt

I think I got the same noise, Im not sure if its the same clicking of the tongue or what sound, but mine does it in park also. It didnt make the noise for awhile and it doesnt sound like anything bad, but its just not the (new) sound it use to have. Mine sound like they are comming from the fuel rail to the injectors.

Back