What the f%(*!! Paint chipping off??

MSpeedNB

:
2003 Mazdaspeed Protege
I got my Spicy Orange speed in November, keep in mind it was stored all winter and I took it out in April-May. Recently, I noticed a few paint chips here and there on the car. Now, front bumper and hood is common, but on the fender flare in the back, on the roof, what`s going on?? Is the paint really the cheap?? Is there anything that can be done about it?

MSpeedNB

same s*** happened to me, i took it to the dealer and they touched it up i have some pics around here somewhere...

Would you by chance happen to have a cat?

projectzoom said:
same s*** happened to me, i took it to the dealer and they touched it up i have some pics around here somewhere...

As many chips as you have, I'm sure I have TWICE as many! And like you say, I have them all over the entire car -- the only place that hasn't chipped yet is the roof and the trunk. Every other "panel" on the car has 1 or more chips in it -- and DEEP suckers too.

I think the paint is thinner on these cars than most, so that's part of it. I'm the furthest thing from a paint expert but in my own personal trials I've noticed that the thinner and fewer coats of paint I put on, the better it looks. Maybe that's how Mazda got the paint to look so good - they sacrificed longevity? I don't know, just a completely insane theory of mine.

projectzoom said:
(uhm) (dunno) (screwy)
Cat on a hot spicy orange mica roof... claws... nevermind.

I knew from the getgo that autocrossing was going to ruin my paint. I never knew just how thin the paint was though. Turns out autocrossing does very little to the paint (except the space immedately after the front wheels). Daily driving highway traffic though is murder on the bumper.

I guess I'll just wait till it's bad enough and have it repainted flat black..

MSpeedNB

Back