What size bolt?

Mookhaasa

:
2002 MP5
I need a new bolt for my front caliper, does anyone know the pitch and bolt size? Pretty sure it has a 17mm head.

Mine fell out.

I see torque specs but no real size info for a replacement.

You will pay alot more if you go to autozone, i work there lol. better off taking a bolt to ace, or a hardware store for cheaper.

This just happened to me last night! What'd you find out for the threads and such? I'm going to Ace to get some, but both of my bolts disappeared!! And I don't feel like taking off the other one right now, even though I probably will anyways to make sure they're tight.....

Also, is it the same for the front and rears?

I just had a bucket of old suspension bolts and randoms other bolts and one fit, it had a lock washer and I blue thread locked it.

So you are going to have to take one off the other side.

But please try to remember the pitch and size. and use grade 8 or better. the length is like 1 1/4 or 1 1/2"

Last edited:
Ah. I just pulled a bolt off the other side today, planning on goin in tonight to get some.

Bolt just fell off again. WTF!? So later today I should have the exact bolt sizes thread pitch and length. Also this tells me blue locktite not enough, Red it is this time.

I know it's extra work, but you could take the opposite wheel off, remove the same bolt and bring that to a hardware/auto parts store.

1. clean threads. both of the bolt and the hole (wire wheel and/or thread chaser AND degreaser)
2. TORQUE WRENCH.

only anti-sieze or threadlock if the factory repair manual calls for it. much more likely to threadlock than anti-sieze.
I've done hundreds of brake jobs and never had one complaint or come back related to fastener failure. Few other guys in the shop did because they didn't clean and torque.

So It got replaced with a 7/16 -20 bolt was like an 1.5" I almost felt like I need to file down the last 1/8th" or so. Its not touching the rotor so I felt okay rolling with it. Also I used locktite\RED\Permanant. If it falls out again, I will weld that bish still and throw away the whole knuckle when I need a new rotor.

So It got replaced with a 7/16 -20 bolt was like an 1.5" I almost felt like I need to file down the last 1/8th" or so. Its not touching the rotor so I felt okay rolling with it. Also I used locktite\RED\Permanant. If it falls out again, I will weld that bish still and throw away the whole knuckle when I need a new rotor.

You didn't get a metric bolt???

... This may be a dumb question, by why the heck wouldn't you just go to the dealer and pay the $3ea for the OEM bolts?

$3 is a lot for one bolt and not everyone lives near a dealer. Hell I worked at a dealer and still would buy hardware elsewhere.

Grade 8 bolt that fits is a bolt that works for me. Also the mazda dealers around here have literally nothing in stock ever. So ordering one from them isn't a short process.

I'd be better off in a junkyard, but that also is inconvenient, because it means they have to have a protege on hand.

Back