What oil to use on my 08 cx-9

Stunt101

:
08 cx-9 grand touring awd
Hi I'm new to the forum and need some info I just bought a 08 cx-9 for my wife and it has 119,000 miles highway miles I got a chance to speak to the previous owner and saw the history report on the vehicle it was serviced since new in the dealer he said that he thinks they used motocraft semi synthetic oil in it my question is what weight and oil should I use in it the motor is very quiet sounds great I just don't know what oil they used for the last oil change when I checked it its still pretty clean I was in Bjs the other day and saw the shell 5w20 synthetic oil $30 for a case of 6 qts I do want to use synthetic what would you guys recommend best oil for the miles it has and the motor has never been worked on internally thanks for the reply in advance.

Thanks for the reply I know the weight of oil but even with the miles it has I should still us the 5w20 weight I live in New York and it going to be drivin in allot of stop and go traffic so I need the best oil in it I use valvoline max life in my other vehicles but I don't mine using quality oil on the cx-9

When you wash your hands with good enough soap it is more important to do it frequently than using ‘best soap’. So any synthetic 0w20 or 5w20 such as Mobil 1 will do. The base of syn oil and brand determines mostly oil longevity but if you don’t mind to change it at least every 5K it does not matter really. I don’t understand people stretching it to 15K or even 7.5K (if you go to MB dealer then sure thing, but for us it is cheaper than gas). With so many miles on this engine it may need some varnish cleaning.

Which bjs did you see the shell 5w20 synthetic at. I went to the one in middle village and they only have 5w30. I am trying to get some of that oil. When i used the 5w30 for my windstar. I only had to change the oil and filter 2 times a year.

Thanks for the reply I know the weight of oil but even with the miles it has I should still us the 5w20 weight I live in New York and it going to be drivin in allot of stop and go traffic so I need the best oil in it I use valvoline max life in my other vehicles but I don't mine using quality oil on the cx-9

In that case it really doesn't matter, aside from synthetic vs. regular oil is all the same and you will never notice a difference.

I went to Bjs in bethpage Li Hempstead tpke they had a whole pallet of the 5w20

Even if its synthetic I should use 5w30 right now I have the shell synthetic that Bjs sells

Back