What MPG are you getting???

My driving for that tank was mostly in town just running errands around town and a little bit of highway. I may have driven when it was congested maybe twice for little less than 20 minutes. In town speed is generally 60km/h or 37mph and highways are 100km/h or 60mph maybe a little more or less depending on the time of day but generally around that. Always waited for the engine to warm up before driving and I never accelerated too quickly from a light.

Ding! Ding!

I think we found the answer - you shouldn't let a modern engine warm up by idling - it will warm up faster if you drive it as soon as you start it (and you will burn a heck of a lot less gas if most of your trips are really short). The only exception to this rule would be if you were in an arctic blast, colder than -15 or -20 C (that's colder than 5 F to -4 F for the Fahrenheit people). Even in extreme cold I would only let it idle 2-4 minutes at most (just enough time to clear your windows of ice).

Yes, idling is a no-no with most of todays modern engines. It'll warm up faster the faster you start moving.

Just picked up my 2014 CX-5 GT and after a 150KM trip, it averaged 7.5L/100KM slightly against high winds. Beats my '06 Matrix!

Ah okay, I must have misunderstood when the dealership was mentioning that to me. I assumed it was best for the engine to warm up before driving it during the "break in" period. Will see how this tank goes :D

Thanks guys

Just had my 4th fill up and got my best MPG's yet 35.4 mpg. It was sort of surprising because I went into the Mountains from 5200 ft to 11,500 ft, went on some dirt roads, had bumper to bumper traffic for 25 miles of the return trip which was all downhill. The rest of the 352.9 mile tank was my normal commuting.

Just had my 4th fill up and got my best MPG's yet 35.4 mpg. It was sort of surprising because I went into the Mountains from 5200 ft to 11,500 ft, went on some dirt roads, had bumper to bumper traffic for 25 miles of the return trip which was all downhill. The rest of the 352.9 mile tank was my normal commuting.

Nice. 35.4 is a good number!
I'm currently in the middle of my best tank, with an indicated avg. of 34.9 (I've been keeping my freeway speeds under 70)

I actually find that I get my best mpg in heavy traffic. I have achieved a computer indicated 43mpg on the way to LAX in rush hour traffic. (speeds varying between 5 and 65 or so, but with minimal use of the brakes) When the traffic is free flowing I tend to go too fast to achieve very good mpg and I usually hover between 29 and 33.

The CX-5 can get very good MPG while climbing/descending hills. My commute involves a stretch of 7% grade freeway and the CX-5 climbs it in 5th at:
55 getting ~19.8mpg
65 getting ~17.8mpg
75 getting ~15.6mpg

on the way back down that grade I coast down in 6th picking up speed the whole way and sometimes braking a little, so in theory if I was to always climb this grade at 55 I could average close to 40mpg.

Im getting just over 22 MPG with the AC on pretty much the whole time and towing a Jet Ski around about 1/3 of those miles. Considering those two factors, I cant complain at all.

I did the math myself, 502km/312mi driven since I last filled up and divided by the 42.175L/11.14gal it took to fill it this time. The computer display said 8.5L/100km or 27.67mpg which would have been much more desirable.

Really? Here's the math per your numbers 312/11.14= 28.007mpg actual>27.67 indicated. What's wrong with that, am I missing something?
Assuming I'm not, and nothing wrong with letting her idle for a few. You def don't need to and it will cost you a little bit of gas but that wouldn't explain <20mpg, no way. Based on your last tank I'd say you're doing fine- this is also right in line with my mostly highway numbers w/roof rack and bars. Sure I'd like to get over 30 and the car is capable of it- easily on a long drive but only if you're willing to keep it under 70. Surprisingly cruise I found also does a very nice job even on some rolling hills not bad at all- minimal kickdowns, nice display too. Overall I'm very happy with my 1st Mazda product and despite a few niggles, they really got the important stuff right. So much so that I don't miss driving the 1 series as much (on work commute anyway). I think I'm actually starting to get a little attached to this thing- I wasn't expecting to honestly. No remorse and I'd consider replacing the 1 with another Mazda- they get it, while BMW has been failing more and more. No passion, no fun anymore- ah but there's an eco button if you want your 40+k sport sedan to drive like a base Civic- seriously wtf?

Last edited:
Still below 1000km and getting around 8.5 L/km (27.67MPG) mostly commute this week. I filled up and was happy I did not have to fork out 70 bucks like I normally do... 52 bucks was all she took. I feel the car is getting "lose" like accelerating is actually going smoother. I am still getting used to the 4 cylinder engine. Driving right now feels like A+ even at 100HP less than I was driving last week.

I did the math myself, 502km/312mi driven since I last filled up and divided by the 42.175L/11.14gal it took to fill it this time. The computer display said 8.5L/100km or 27.67mpg which would have been much more desirable.

My driving for that tank was mostly in town just running errands around town and a little bit of highway. I may have driven when it was congested maybe twice for little less than 20 minutes. In town speed is generally 60km/h or 37mph and highways are 100km/h or 60mph maybe a little more or less depending on the time of day but generally around that. Always waited for the engine to warm up before driving and I never accelerated too quickly from a light.

Sorry if posting numbers in both metric and imperial annoys someone here, I always hated converting numbers when people asked for my insight haha.

Apparently I funked up my math so my last tank was still okay at 9L/100km or 26mpg but my latest is 30.5mpg :D Feeling much better about my driving haha.

I'm surprised at how accurate it is to the numbers Mazda listed.

Back