What MPG are you getting???

Car is currently displaying 50.6mpg however, this will result (from experience) in a Fuelly calculation of around 47 or 48mpg. I do find the car computer to be a little optimistic... although there have been a couple of tanks over the last few months that the Fuelly calculation has been slightly above the cars dash display figure!

I'm finding the CX-5 is pretty sensitive to throttle inputs on the highway, i.e. if I move my foot even slightly the MPGS can drop from the 30-33 range down to the low 20's. So recently I've been trying a different approach on my daily commute which is 50%/50% city highway and about 50 miles round trip. On the highway portion I've been setting the cruise control 3-4 MPH above the 65 mph speed limit and hang out in the right lane puttering along. On my last tank when I used Fuelly to calculate my mileage it was actually HIGHER than what the on board computer was showing. I calculated 29.2 mpg and the computer showed 28.5. This is a huge improvement from my previous tank averages of 25-27 mpg with most around the 25.5 range.

I just averaged 30.3 on a 400 mile trip that included probably about 40 miles of city travel. These are the first 400 miles of new car.

My cumulative all around average since new recently hit 32 mpg. I do have AWD but no roof rack or other exterior appendages. I also try to keep my speed below 65 or 70 mph.

I have 63.2 mpg showing on the dash how accurate is the trip computer the previous fill up was 416 miles @ a cost of 54.12 GBP.I have 2.2 diesel 2013 with 527 miles on clock still running in

I have the AWD GT with the 2.0 (bought in March 2012). I'm getting on average 31.5 - 33.5 per tank during my normal commute of 26 miles round trip, 80% highway, never go faster than 70. I've noticed that if I cruise at 50 - 55 mph, I easily get 34+, again, with the AWD. I love this thing.

I have a 2014 AWD touring and my MPG seems much less than what everyone is reporting. Local driving semi rural area I average 23mpg and just did my first all highway tank and disappointly avraged 28mpg ( some traffic slowdowns on the parkway. And had AC on 2 people in car). Speed was 60 to 75 mph . any thoughts/ suggestions? Car has 2,200 miles on it

If you are driving highway, you need to use cruise control or you will get lower mpg, Especially if you are going 75.

I'm getting 27 mpg overall, with about a 50/50 mix. Not even trying to save gas. On a 1400 mile round trip from Utica NY to Norfolk VA I hit 29.5 mpg overall for the trip. Often doing 80 just to keep up and sometimes crawling in DC traffic. I think considering the type of driver I am that is excellent.

At over 11,000 miles, my MPG keeps getting better. What I find really impressive is not so much the good HWY mpg, but how efficient the car is in less than favorable circumstances. Yesterday, my tank average with about 1/4 tank of fuel left was hanging out at 38.1 mpg. I then did a 40 km excursion on hilly, twisty roads including a rugged 22 km on steep and rough logging roads with 1600 vertical feet of elevation gain. One section to a secluded beach (not a logging road) was so steep and rocky it would have been tricky or impossible to maintain forward progress with FWD. But the CX-5 handled it with a smile. Best of all, at the conclusion, the mpg's had only dropped to 37.1 mpg for the tank. I hate to think how much fuel I would have consumed in my F-150 4x4.

If I drive 31MPG when the wife drives which is 90% of the time 25-27 range. Been noticing my 2014 Mazda 6 figures have been real well lately though, especially after 6,000 miles or so.

I have a 2.0L and I got 716 km out of my last tank. Which would be about 35 mpg. I pretty much have a split between highway and city (sitting in rush hour traffic) driving.

After 15,300 miles, my fuel average is 28.7 figured out at the pump. The on-board computer is always around 2.0 mpg high. I drive up to Ohio several times a year from Charlotte, NC which involves many hills in Virginia, and West Virginia, otherwise I believe my average would be over 30 somewhere. My trade in car was a 2007 Accord, 4 cyl, 5 speed auto, which averaged 26.2 in very similar driving. It would be interesting to see what the diesel CX-5 would get in the same driving situation .

I don't know why my burn MPG it's so different to most.. Had the car (2014 GT) since April, mostly short distance driving in Queens NY., about 10 miles round trip to work and occasionally 20-30 miles highway.Took one long trip this summer (about 250 miles). The car has 1600 miles and my MPG is 18.1. That's pretty bad I think ....

At over 11,000 miles, my MPG keeps getting better. What I find really impressive is not so much the good HWY mpg, but how efficient the car is in less than favorable circumstances. Yesterday, my tank average with about 1/4 tank of fuel left was hanging out at 38.1 mpg. I then did a 40 km excursion on hilly, twisty roads including a rugged 22 km on steep and rough logging roads with 1600 vertical feet of elevation gain. One section to a secluded beach (not a logging road) was so steep and rocky it would have been tricky or impossible to maintain forward progress with FWD. But the CX-5 handled it with a smile. Best of all, at the conclusion, the mpg's had only dropped to 37.1 mpg for the tank. I hate to think how much fuel I would have consumed in my F-150 4x4.

Does it get much better as you rack up more mileage? I'm currently at 1300km and averaging around 11.9L/100km or 19.8 mpg. This is my first new car so I don't have very much experience with this.

15,000 miles with my 2013 MT Sport. I've tracked every mile and every gallon since new. Driving includes daily commuting which is about 50/50 expressway and city streets with low congestion, long trips of about 500 miles, and one very long trip to West Texas of 3,000 miles. My driving style is moderately spirited but I do not thrash it, and try to drive smoothly and economically most of the time. The somewhat surprising results, based on measured mpg not the computer:
--29.7 overall;
--Texas trip was only about 28, with a full load, nothing on the roof, and 75-80mph most of the time. The fastest sections were about 26. Speed matters.
--33-35 highway if speed is kept to not much more than 60 mph;
--30-32 commuting;
--28-30 on long trips with a boat or box on the roof, 65 mph or less;
--better than 40 during a 35-mile stretch of 45 mph in a construction zone;
--computer usually reports about 2 mpg better than actual.

I assume Calc is referring to Victor's post not mine. Victor, are your numbers based on the computer display or actual distance driven and fuel consumed? Does your driving include a lot of urban congestion?

I did the math myself, 502km/312mi driven since I last filled up and divided by the 42.175L/11.14gal it took to fill it this time. The computer display said 8.5L/100km or 27.67mpg which would have been much more desirable.

My driving for that tank was mostly in town just running errands around town and a little bit of highway. I may have driven when it was congested maybe twice for little less than 20 minutes. In town speed is generally 60km/h or 37mph and highways are 100km/h or 60mph maybe a little more or less depending on the time of day but generally around that. Always waited for the engine to warm up before driving and I never accelerated too quickly from a light.

Sorry if posting numbers in both metric and imperial annoys someone here, I always hated converting numbers when people asked for my insight haha.

Back