What MPG are you getting???

NO Bueno...... I have a 2014 GT AWD and after 1500 miles im still only getting 22 mpg. Thats with the correct tp and driving no more than 65 on the highway. I might go to the dealership.

NO Bueno...... I have a 2014 GT AWD and after 1500 miles im still only getting 22 mpg. Thats with the correct tp and driving no more than 65 on the highway. I might go to the dealership.

Let us know what the dealers says. Might want to point out though that yours...like mine is a 2014 with a larger engine as well as AWD. Both take a hit with gas mileage. My trip meter no reset since I started is 24.5mgp (2800 total miles I think) which it just moved up after a highway trip of two hours from 24.4. The actual gas mileage after I filled up using a android app which by the way was 50/50 city/highway came out to be 27.5 mpg. I also found out on this last trip that if I set it a 65mph it says about 28mpg but if I set it at 66mph it says 31.2mpg. Of course I left it on 66mph but who knows right. I also notice in town that it almost fools the computer because I will be at say 35mph and it will indicate a number and I check the gear its in. The if I speed up a little and release the gas where I end up at 35mph again in the same gear it will show a 5mpg increase in savings....it is really weird and I think that is why some people do have the touch when it comes to pedal control.(boom05)

Let us know what the dealers says. Might want to point out though that yours...like mine is a 2014 with a larger engine as well as AWD. Both take a hit with gas mileage. My trip meter no reset since I started is 24.5mgp (2800 total miles I think) which it just moved up after a highway trip of two hours from 24.4. The actual gas mileage after I filled up using a android app which by the way was 50/50 city/highway came out to be 27.5 mpg. I also found out on this last trip that if I set it a 65mph it says about 28mpg but if I set it at 66mph it says 31.2mpg. Of course I left it on 66mph but who knows right. I also notice in town that it almost fools the computer because I will be at say 35mph and it will indicate a number and I check the gear its in. The if I speed up a little and release the gas where I end up at 35mph again in the same gear it will show a 5mpg increase in savings....it is really weird and I think that is why some people do have the touch when it comes to pedal control.(boom05)

I've used the cars amount and I did the math myself and I got 22.3 to be exact. I only got 26 while doing 200+ miles on a highway also. I'm gonna call and see whats up.
?

12,000 miles. Worst: 30MPG (Winter); Best: 36MPG (Hwy)

I do about 50/50 city/hwy driving. 2013 Sport MT.

My CX-5 came with the mud guards pre-installed from the factory but I grew tired of how the rear ones looked. So a few nights ago I went out and removed the rear ones but left the front. Prior to me removing them if I set the cruise control to 70mph on this one particular road I was showing 28.XXmpg per the instant display. This morning I was showing 31.2mpg. The only change was the removal of the mud guards, so take that for whatever it's worth.

With the warmer weather happening my mpg is averaging back around 34mpg again. Almost at 15k miles on the car now.

My CX-5 came with the mud guards pre-installed from the factory but I grew tired of how the rear ones looked. So a few nights ago I went out and removed the rear ones but left the front. Prior to me removing them if I set the cruise control to 70mph on this one particular road I was showing 28.XXmpg per the instant display. This morning I was showing 31.2mpg. The only change was the removal of the mud guards, so take that for whatever it's worth.

Thanks for the heads up about the MPG with the splash guards, but I've been getting the same MPGs before and after I installed them (I installed them almost 6 weeks after I bought the car).

Thanks for the heads up about the MPG with the splash guards, but I've been getting the same MPGs before and after I installed them (I installed them almost 6 weeks after I bought the car).

It could just be that maybe (finally) at 2,300 miles the engine is breaking in and getting better MPG, but besides the increased miles on the motor I haven't changed anything else aside from the mud guards. There could have been a headwind or something as well that maybe was hurting it before when I measured the MPG.

Just picked up my 2014 2.5L AWD last week, first tank still. Only 10.5L/100KM average. 50/50 city / hwy. Maybe still need to break in, not too impress so far.

Never gone higher than 3000RPM. Just driving normal.

I am not expecting significant and measurable difference in MPG from splash gaurds, or lowering springs either.

Getting just shy of 27 MPG today. Seems like everyday of my normal daily routine driving since Monday has increased my AVG MPG by a point. Monday was about 24, Tuesday 25, yesterday 26 and today 27. I'm liking that. I guess since I just got it last weekend it is still figuring out that average. And for the amount of mountain driving I do gunning the gas going up hills/mountains and then going downhill, I am very happy with the MPG I am getting.

Last edited:
Getting just shy of 27 MPG today. Seems like everyday of my normal daily routine driving since Monday has increased my AVG MPG by a point. Monday was about 24, Tuesday 25, yesterday 26 and today 27. I'm liking that. I guess since I just got it last weekend it is still figuring out that average. And for the amount of mountain driving I do gunning the gas going up hills/mountains and then going downhill, I am very happy with the MPG I am getting.

I assume you live and drive at high altitude on a regular basis.

I'm in SoCal area and I'm getting around 26.2 mpg if I just use it to go to work (~25 mile round trip). The mpg was done manually. I've only reached >30mpg a couple times. On long drives to Vegas I got around 28-29 mpg.

2014 CX-5 Touring

NYC metro area, Over 3500 miles getting 27.4 MPG. I fill Gas at local Costco. I will try different brand to see if it improves.

how do you import your fuelly info onto your comments page etc. Can not see the function for it on the fuelly website.

I've found the CX-5 to return particularly good MPG figures in hilly terrain.

I would guess it's because the engine functions as a normal (Otto cycle) internal combustion engine while climbing hills but is capable of Atkinson cycle under low throttle demands such as when descending. Also, the CX-5 can use the momentum created by the descent to turn over the engine while cutting off fuel injection when it's not needed.

The primary factors preventing the CX-5 from returning very high MPG figures is it's above average ground clearance (causes aerodynamic drag), SUV aerodynamics (even though Mazda designers did a great job reducing the CD of the generally boxy SUV form) and tires that are too large for maximum efficiency.

how do you import your fuelly info onto your comments page etc. Can not see the function for it on the fuelly website.

Back