What mileage did you have at oil change #1?

did mine at 2800miles-7 months. i wouldnt wait longer then 5k between oil changes.

I did my first at 7500 miles, at the Mazda dealership. I paid for the 3 year service plan (was actually really impressed with their synthetic oil change prices (compared to Jiffy-Lube synthetic) and that was before I haggled them down). Plus, I can make an appointment and get a loaner if needed, but they changed my oil in about 45 minutes last time, so not too bad.

I had mine done at about 6000 miles after about 5 months. Free oil change at the dealer.

1st oil change at 1,200 miles. The every 4,000 miles or 4 months. I know that it is alot shorter then what is recommended, but changeging oil more frequently never hurt anything and I'm not worried about the $35 it takes me to change it.

I did my first at 7500 miles, at the Mazda dealership. I paid for the 3 year service plan (was actually really impressed with their synthetic oil change prices (compared to Jiffy-Lube synthetic) and that was before I haggled them down). Plus, I can make an appointment and get a loaner if needed, but they changed my oil in about 45 minutes last time, so not too bad.
Which dealer in Chicago?

4k Mobile 1 synthetic 0W20 the first oil change. Planning on 3k intervals from here out dude to the hot Florida weather and traffic.

For 3-4k mile intervals, it's a big waist that good oil. These oils are good for 15k miles too, so 7.5k should be at a minimum.
For my ex VW Rabbit the dealership, was changing at 10k intervals(free maintenance). LA traffic and heat.
As we are trying to use less fuel(oil too) in our cars, we have to think the same way about oils too. So we should change it at longer intervals.

Last edited:
I had mine done at 7,700 miles/4 months at the dealer. Vehicle came with 3 years of free oil changes at the dealer. I did upgrade to the Mazda Moly oil which cost me $36. Since this is roughly what I would expect to pay at the dealer for a "regular" oil change, I am satisfied with paying that every 7.5k miles and not having to dispose of the used oil and filter myself.

Maybe you guys can help me out here. I was under the impression that with the new synthetics you could go far longer than 5k between oil changes. 10k, maybe even 12k?

I have a 2014 CX5 AWD and scheduled an appt for tire rotation and full synthetic oil change at the dealer, at 7500 miles. They want $130. $130 every 7500 miles seems like a lot.

Cant I go longer with full synthetic?

Thanks in advance.

That should be with regular oil, not with syntetic. I would change it that way, if I would live in Dubai.

I'm on schedule 2 in Canada so going to be 8kkm for me (about 5000 miles). I too think that is a little short. Once it gets past it's warranty I will likely push it further.

Dealer change at 6,400 miles after 4 months. I'll also stick to the Mazda schedule during the warranty period. Hate for something to malfunction in the engine and they refuse to honor the warranty because I didn't keep up with the regular maintenance schedule.

The rule it was with regular oil to change it every 3k miles. With synthetic you can double that mileage. These days, even with regular oil you can drive much longer then 3k miles.
My wife's CRV has a service minder system and will let you know about the oil's life. When it get's to 10%, it's time to change it. Between oil changes, she drives 6-7.5K miles on regular oil(!).

Last edited:
~5,600 miles. Just wondering, is it 5 quarts for the 2.5L? Only bought 5 quarts for my 2014 CX-5. Also, there's no reset right?

The rule it was with regular oil to change it every 3k miles. With synthetic you can double that mileage. These days, even with regular oil you can drive much longer then 3k miles.
My wife's CRV has a service minder system and will let you know about the oil's life. When it get's to 10%, it's time to change it. Between oil changes, she drives 6-7.5K miles on regular oil(!).

... Just follow manufacturer's recommendations in the manual...

Latest posts

Back