What mileage did you have at oil change #1?

Had mine 3.5 mos and 558 miles, should I get the free oil change (3 free for the 1st year) or wait until I have 1,000 miles.

My first oil change (2013 model year) was done at 7.5K miles, per Schedule 1 in owners manual. The synthetic oil recommended by Mazda was used.

Per the manual (which you should go by since there is no oil sensor) Schedule 1 is 7500, schedule 2 is 5k.

Schedule 2 is recommended for city drivers with lots of stop-n-go and for where the weather is sassy.

5k after 5 months. Decided on schedule 2 since wife takes a lot of short trips (<15 min).
Brought my own 5 qt jug of Mobil 1 0W-20($24 at Walmart) to dealer & OEM filter & paid $8 for labor.
So about $40 for a full synthetic bc I bought my own stuff. Dealer advertises a synthetic OC for $59.99.
Worth saving $20 to buy my own materials.

I changed out the factory fill at 7500 miles per the normal maintenance schedule, which was about 4 months after I bought my CX-5. I bought the 0W20 oil with moly, the filter and the crush washer at the dealer and changed it myself at home. The CX-5 is a laid out very well for oil service with the drain plug and the filter close together and the filter mount facing down to minimize the mess and allow the new filter to be pre-filled. The dealer suggested it would take just over 5 quarts to reach the full line. I stopped after 5 qts to check the level and was very happy to see the oil level about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way up between the add and full marks.

First service at 12,500 miles, second change was second service at 25,000 miles and third change will be tomorrow at 37,500 mile service!

5,000 miles to Mobil1 0w20 Full Syn. 2nd at 10,000 miles. Couldn't care less if I did it early. Not going to hurt my wallet as its only a few bucks. I much rather have clean oil cycling through than save enough to buy me a few extra packs of gum during the year.

My first oil change (2013 model year) was done at 7.5K miles, per Schedule 1 in owners manual. The synthetic oil recommended by Mazda was used.

Same here. I can't believe the amount of emails and mailings and phone calls I received from the dealership BEGGING me to come in for service while I patiently awaited my 7500 miles. They have this trick that they threaten to 'cut services' such as roadside assistance and other bulls***, unless you bring your car in for service (before the manufacturer's listed service intervals). In fact, my 'services' were 'cancelled' since I did NOT bring the car in for service until 7500. I wonder how many idiots fall for those tricks.

Last edited:
First oil change was done at 5500km. Full synthetic. Full inspection of the car $68. 2014 GS AWD

Same here. I can't believe the amount of emails and mailings and phone calls I received from the dealership BEGGING me to come in for service while I patiently awaited my 7500 miles. They have this trick that they threaten to 'cut services' such as roadside assistance and other bulls***, unless you bring your car in for service (before the manufacturer's listed service intervals). In fact, my 'services' were 'cancelled' since I did NOT bring the car in for service until 7500. I wonder how many idiots fall for those tricks.

Threats regarding "service" cuts for not over-maintaining your car, wow. What region/state where Mazda dealer does this?

I've been doing it every 5k miles. So, with 20k miles I've just done my 3rd change. I couldn't find the correct oil at a fair price out in town until my 3rd change (went to wallmart and got it for $22). Previously, autozone and the like only sold 0W-20 in single quarts at $9 a pop! Now I change it out myself and it costs me about $29 and 30-45 min (I work slow...) I will continue to do it every 5k and I hope to do at least 30 more oil changes!

Back